Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Games in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

There are a few more but ....

Marilyn Agliotti (Netherlands, field hockey)
    Judith Arndt (Germany, cycling)
    Seimone Augustus (U.S., basketball)
    Natalie Cook (Australia, beach volleyball)
    Lisa Dahlkvist (Sweden, soccer)
    Carlien Dirkse van den Heuvel (Netherlands, field hockey)
    Imke Duplitzer (Germany, fencing)
    Edward Gal (Netherlands, equestrian)
    Jessica Harrison (France, triathlon)
    Carl Hester (Britain, equestrian)
    Karen Hultzer (South Africa, archery)
    Alexandra Lacrabère (France, handball)
    Kim Lammers (Netherlands, field hockey)
    Jessica Landström (Sweden, soccer)
    Hedvig Lindahl (Sweden, soccer)
    Matthew Mitcham (Australia, diving)
    Maartje Paumen (Netherlands, field hockey)
    Carole Péon (France, triathlon)
    Mayssa Pessoa (Brazil, handball)
    Megan Rapinoe (U.S. soccer)
    Lisa Raymond (U.S., doubles tennis)
    Rikke Skov (Denmark, handball)
    Ina-Yoko Teutenberg (Germany, cycling)

Péon and Harrison are a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Don't quite understand the need for a "gay games". After all Tom Daley participated and won a medal in the recent Olympics and you can be sure there are other gay Olympians too.

ermmm :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

There are a few more but ....

Marilyn Agliotti (Netherlands, field hockey)
    Judith Arndt (Germany, cycling)
    Seimone Augustus (U.S., basketball)
    Natalie Cook (Australia, beach volleyball)
    Lisa Dahlkvist (Sweden, soccer)
    Carlien Dirkse van den Heuvel (Netherlands, field hockey)
    Imke Duplitzer (Germany, fencing)
    Edward Gal (Netherlands, equestrian)
    Jessica Harrison (France, triathlon)
    Carl Hester (Britain, equestrian)
    Karen Hultzer (South Africa, archery)
    Alexandra Lacrabère (France, handball)
    Kim Lammers (Netherlands, field hockey)
    Jessica Landström (Sweden, soccer)
    Hedvig Lindahl (Sweden, soccer)
    Matthew Mitcham (Australia, diving)
    Maartje Paumen (Netherlands, field hockey)
    Carole Péon (France, triathlon)
    Mayssa Pessoa (Brazil, handball)
    Megan Rapinoe (U.S. soccer)
    Lisa Raymond (U.S., doubles tennis)
    Rikke Skov (Denmark, handball)
    Ina-Yoko Teutenberg (Germany, cycling)
    Yep, that's the list I had in mind as well.

23 athletes out of >10,000. That comes to about 0.2% of Olympic athletes, far below even the most conservative estimates of the gay population.

Is that really what you had in mind when you claimed that there are "many out gay Olympians"?

23 out of more than 10,000?

Maybe now you can see why there was a move to hold an event that encouraged gay participation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It makes sense having "Gay games" in countries that have gay minorities that are still facing social (even if it's not official) discrimimnation.

Think of the fisrt gay pride parades. they were to create awareness and bring homosexuals into the open where people could see them.

gay games could fulfill a similar function. But I don't think ireland is a good venue for it because there's not as much need as some places.

they should be hosted in a country that isn't too anti gay (For example, not saudi or pakistan etc where the participants might face physical harm) where their presence would still make a difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

Any excuse for a love-in.

Should be sponsored by KY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

later12 wrote: »
    Yep, that's the list I had in mind as well.

23 athletes out of >10,000. That comes to about 0.2% of Olympic athletes, far below even the most conservative estimates of the gay population.

Is that really what you had in mind when you claimed that there are "many out gay Olympians"?

23 out of more than 10,000?

Maybe now you can see why there was a move to hold an event that encouraged gay participation.

+1 there man. The fact of the matter is, in the Olympics or any sort of professional sport there isn't a welcoming environment to homosexuality at all, in fact in a lot of cases, like soccer for example, there is a heavy homophobic air and hostility within it so out players are next to non exsistant.
    I think things like this actually help out and let people become more comfortable with their sexuality. It's nothing to state or over emphasise but it's not right it should be hidden either. Eventually though with these sort of events, things will improve and gay people will be able to be out and not hide their orientation, and games like this may no longer be needed.

Edit: there was a huge amount of athletes that were gay or bisexual but weren't out and Grindr - the gay hook up app, actually crashed and was down for a few days because of the overwhelming demand in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Actor wrote: »

Heard it was going to be Meteor ;).

Im looking forward to hear the commentator saying "And he came from behind " :).

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Heard it was going to be Meteor ;).

Im looking forward to hear the commentator saying "And he came from behind " :).

If Meteor sponsor this. I'll be doing a Chick-Fil-A and ensuring that nobody in my family uses Meteor ever again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

They all must want to play in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Well you'd know, given your obsession with sodomy and all.

If Meteor sponsor this. I'll be doing a Chick-Fil-A and ensuring that nobody in my family uses Meteor ever again!

Wow you're a nice guy. This wouldn't even effect you, why would you have something against it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Apparently Limerick is down to the final 7 for a chance to host the Gay Games in 2018.

Firstly I didn't know the Gays had their own games I just presumed they would be happy with the Olympics like everyone else.

When asked on the radio about whether anyone can join in the games it seems they can't. If your not in the LBGT community your not welcolme, well thats the way it came across on the radio.

This annoys me, there on the radio every second day about there right to marraige etc but when it comes to straight people joining in to play some rugby, do a bit of running etc the straight community can apparently go fup themselves as far as the LBGT's are concerned.

Hyprocites of the highest order, what's your take on it?

It seems that the LBGT Community is nothing but a bunch of heterophobes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Fuinseog wrote: »
    It seems that the LBGT Community is nothing but a bunch of heterophobes
    Yeah. It's awful what they've done to straight folks over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

1ZRed wrote: »
    Wow you're a nice guy. This wouldn't even effect you, why would you have something against it?
    Maybe he isn't a nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wahey its yourself, someone must have turned on the sodomy batsymbol

• Advertisement

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    Well you'd know, given your obsession with sodomy and all.

Sodomy is one of the modern world's greatest ills. Sodomy and sport have nothing to do with each other. A "gay games" is a stupid idea that would contribute nothing to Limerick and tarnish its reputation abroad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sodomy is one of the modern world's greatest ills. Sodomy and sport have nothing to do with each other. A "gay games" is a stupid idea that would contribute nothing to Limerick and tarnish its reputation abroad.

And banned.

Unless they're going to make a sport out of riding each other how is sodomy even coming into question here?
    You'd swear it's only gay lads that have anal sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

For a city known as "Stab City", I'd say that having a gay Olympics would do Limerick's reputation more harm than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Well I never! A straight "Actor" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

yawn,im so tired of hearing about anything gay anymore.cant they just get on with there lives

fran17 wrote: »
    yawn,im so tired of hearing about anything gay anymore.cant they just get on with there lives

Except it was a straight guy that brought it up to throw down on it. It's nearly always the case, not the gay guys bringing it up.
    What I'm fucking sick of is that everything has to turn into a big gay rights debate in the end

1ZRed wrote: »
    Except it was a straight guy that brought it up to throw down on it. It's nearly always the case, not the gay guys bringing it up.
    What I'm fucking sick of is that everything has to turn into a big gay rights debate in the end
    i hear what your saying but in fairness he did'nt invent or promote the "gay games".why is there a constant need for some sections of the gay community to get on the megaphone and tell everyone how gay they are?

i hear what your saying but in fairness he did'nt invent or promote the "gay games".why is there a constant need for some sections of the gay community to get on the megaphone and tell everyone how gay they are?

Because of small minded hateful cretins preaching hatred all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I hope your not refering to me, I wasn't the guy on the radio suggesting straight people weren't welcome to play sports. I don't know who the gay twat was but in my eyes he set the community back 100 years.
    Equality only seems to work one way in his mind.

well if someone dont agree or approve with the gay lifestyle and all that it entails then does that make then small minded just cause they dont agree,i dont think so.i really dont understand how some big"look how gay we are" event forwards there cause.whiffs of desperate and longing for approval to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I don't know who the gay twat was but in my eyes he set the community back 100 years.
    Wow, what an overreaction. One guy may or may not have said what you think he said (we only have your word, remember) and you think the whole gay rights movement has been set back a century?

Just as well your opinion means sweet fuck all then, doesn't it?

Did you even read the link I provided earlier in the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I hope your not refering to me, I wasn't the guy on the radio suggesting straight people weren't welcome to play sports. I don't know who the gay twat was but in my eyes he set the community back 100 years.
    Is there any shelter from this perpetual drizzle down in that hole you've dug yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

If it's for everybody why don't they just call it the games, it's not for everybody that's my point.
    You are homophobic is your point it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Icepick wrote: »
    When asked on the radio about whether anyone can join in the games it seems they can't. If your not in the LBGT community your not welcolme, well thats the way it came across on the radio.

This annoys me, there on the radio every second day about there right to marraige etc but when it comes to straight people joining in to play some rugby, do a bit of running etc the straight community can apparently go fup themselves as far as the LBGT's are concerned.

Hyprocites of the highest order, what's your take on it?
    Just like those hypocritical bastards from Special Olympics!

And those Homeless World Cup guys? Why can't I try out for the team - just because I live in a house? Discrimination I tells you!

• Advertisement

well if someone dont agree or approve with the gay lifestyle and all that it entails then does that make then small minded just cause they dont agree,i dont think so.i really dont understand how some big"look how gay we are" event forwards there cause.whiffs of desperate and longing for approval to me

It's not a "look how gay we are" sporting event. Sport is still the most homophobic environment a gay person could be in. Soccer is among the worst and suffers from very hostile homophobia so openly gay players hardly exist. If this was held it would mean that any guy athlete could complete and be open about there sexuality instead of shunning it away. It's just about being able to be yourself and gaining some recognition that being gay is acceptable and shouldn't be hidden or looked down on in sport because it doesn't diminish your athletic ability.
    The emphasis won't really be on the athlete's sexuality but the main intension behind it, to try and break down a lot of the homophobia in sporting events. If homophobia and this type of discrimination didn't exist, there would be no need for a gay games, but that's not the case.

I'm not all for parading sexuality and all that but that's not the intension behind all of this. I don't believe your sexuality should be shouted about but it shouldn't be hidden either. You don't shout about your sexuality but then again you never were in a place were you were discriminated or disadvantaged because of it.

This really annoys me. I'm not for debating anything gay because I'm sick of it but I hate listening to ignorant comments about what you think you understand based off your own homophobia.
    At the end of the day, you say you're not gay so this shouldn't have any effect on you, therefore why would you be against it?
    It's more like you shouting wanting to get heard about how unnecessary it all is and how you don't agree with their lifestyle. It's hypocritical attention seeking if you look at it from the opposing side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

the guy on the radio suggesting straight people weren't welcome to play sports... he set the community back 100 years.
    Wow, one stranger on the radio did all that?

I can only imagine how far back you think homophobic discrimination against homosexual marriage and adoption have set back the straight community.

Never feel tempted to start a thread on that?

Unlike the premise of this thread, that exclusion is actually true; it negatively affects human beings in a far more tangible and meaningful way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Maybe the person on the radio was saying only supporters of the LGBT community were welcome, as in straight people are welcome so long as they are supportive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

The bestiality Games.

Thats where its at.

The equestrian events will be interesting.

Muir wrote: »
    Maybe the person on the radio was saying only supporters of the LGBT community were welcome, as in straight people are welcome so long as they are supportive.
    or maybe not,who knows.maybe heterophobia is more real than we think...

That isn't an actual counter argument is it?

I mean I assume that that is a joke and not an actual point you're trying to make?

Right?

This sounds very like the "anti-racist is code for anti-white" crap that gets spouted by racist morons, tbh.

No the guy on the radio said nothing of the sort, he said nothing about supporters, he was asked twice who was welcome and not once did he give the answer everybody is welcome, he went out of his way to state it was only people from the LBGT community and all applications to particapate had to come from community members.
    It's very apparent from this thread how much hate there is in the LBGT community for straight people. I never once said i'm against the Gay Games I was merely disgruntled at the racism being aired against straight people on national radio but now i'm a hater and a homophobe apparently, I think the LBGT community on this thread need a good look in the mirror as there attatitude isn't far off the discrimination heard today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

No the guy on the radio said nothing of the sort, he said nothing about supporters, he was asked twice who was welcome and not once did he give the answer everybody is welcome, he went out of his way to state it was only people from the LBGT community and all applications to particapate had to come from community members.
    It's very apparent from this thread how much hate there is in the LBGT community for straight people. I never once said i'm against the Gay Games I was merely disgruntled at the racism being aired against straight people on national radio but now i'm a hater and a homophobe apparently, I think the LBGT community on this thread need a good look in the mirror as there attatitude isn't far off the discrimination heard today.

How can you still post when you were red carded above...

• Advertisement

I mean I assume that that is a joke and not an actual point you're trying to make?

Right?
    im just putting it out there.if the gay community is as suppressed and discriminated against as we are led to believe then human nature will naturally hate back no

Hate for straight people? Racism? Now you're just taking the piss.

I'll ask again:

Did you read the page linked to in these earlier posts?
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    The website has the answers to what I presume are your questions on their FAQ:
    Again, from the FAQ:

Did you read the link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hmmmmm, i could swear i posted in this thread earlier

Right?
    im just putting it out there.if the gay community is as suppressed and discriminated against as we are led to believe then human nature will naturally hate back no

If I was, I would, it's a natural reaction. To think it didn't exist would be naive.
    Guy on the radio does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Apparently Limerick is down to the final 7 for a chance to host the Gay Games in 2018.

Firstly I didn't know the Gays had their own games I just presumed they would be happy with the Olympics like everyone else.

When asked on the radio about whether anyone can join in the games it seems they can't. If your not in the LBGT community your not welcolme, well thats the way it came across on the radio.........
    eh...not sure if have understood right but why feel a interest to join when its purely going to be people from the LBGTc having a shindig and relating with each other?

there isnt any need to have a seperate games for the LBGTc any more as in terms of sports they are on a level playing field with everyone else unless am mistaken there are no significant sport barriers in reaching a higher competitive level.
    the only major international olympics we need are the mainstream one,special olympics and paralympics as they all involve very different levels of abilities and support needs which if were to be pitted against each other woud put people at a very wrong advantage or disadvantage.

segregating sexualities and gender identities; which are still to this day treated as abnormal by many,into its own olympics is immoral and regression to the fight for equality.
    if this LGBT games was a social bash,more than about the competitive nature associated with olympics and paralympics then coud personaly understand where this is coming from as it is good to have a strong positive community where people can relate with each other in a world which has been agressively hetrosexual for so long,but as much as woud like to be proved wrong it seems to be about a segregated competition which makes a laughing stock out of equality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

What radio station/show was it?

I don't see any hate from people from the LGBT community towards straight people. I've also never encountered it from any members of the LGBT community that I know.

& fran17 saying they will hate back, why would they hate straight people though? They might hate or dislike homophobic people.

• Advertisement

Scruffles wrote: »
    ...it seems to be about a segregated competition which makes a laughing stock out of equality.
    Which part of, "Everyone is welcome, whatever their sexual orientation" leads you to believe it's a segregated competition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

I know this comment is so obvious I shouldn't say it, but why click into a "gay" thread and hanging around to comment and respond to comments if you're so bored?

What radio station/show was it?

I don't see any hate from people from the LGBT community towards straight people. I've also never encountered it from any members of the LGBT community that I know.

& fran17 saying they will hate back, why would they hate straight people though? They might hate or dislike homophobic people.
    confusion,envy,anger with the way they are,knowing that they will never be fully accepted in society.thats just my amateur psychology but i doubt there is anyone who wishes they were gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Which part of, "Everyone is welcome, whatever their sexual orientation" leads you to believe it's a segregated competition?

I doubt people with opposing views would be.

Thats how "everyone is welcome" fails in most cases.

floggg wrote: »
    I know this comment is so obvious I shouldn't say it, but why click into a "gay" thread and hanging around to comment and respond to comments if you're so bored?
    you just answered it,im responding to questions and comments directed to me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement