Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay Games in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Scruffles wrote: »
    ...it seems to be about a segregated competition which makes a laughing stock out of equality.
    Which part of, "Everyone is welcome, whatever their sexual orientation" leads you to believe it's a segregated competition?

Again just incase you missed it the LBGT spokesman did not say everybody is welcome hence the thread.
    Everybody is not welcome apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

The first page of the "About Section" of the Gay Games website:
    The mission of the Federation of Gay Games is to promote equality through the organization of the premiere international LGBT and gay-friendly sports and cultural event known as the Gay Games.
    While particular emphasis is placed on these specific goals, it is a fundamental principle of the Federation of Gay Games that all activities conducted under its auspices shall be inclusive in nature and that no individual shall be excluded from participating on the basis of sexual orientation, gender, race, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, political belief(s), athletic/artistic ability, physical challenge, age, or health status.

From what I understand, the Gay Games is fairly competitive enough, and participants are at a relatively high level. This is probably the biggest event of all the "gay sports" type events.

Generally speaking, the whole point of gay sports teams and events is inclusion.

It can be pretty hard at first coming out as gay, and meeting and identifying with other gay people, so these things are a great, fun, friendly, relaxed way to meet new people. You'll find it hard to find a more friendly, welcoming bunch.

Now if anybody here truly feels concerned that this is a massive conspiracy by gays to further a heterophobic agenda, why not call down to one of the gay teams some evening and ask to join in.

Tell them you are straight, but would like to participate and meet new people. Go down free of an agenda and willing to be respectful and join in. I would be extremely surprised if you didn't get anything but the warmest of welcomes.

Of course, you can continue to rant, rave and obsess about those damn homosexuals from behind your computer screen if you want. But it's not really healthy to spend your nights behind a screen fretting about other people's sex lives.

Again just incase you missed it the LBGT spokesman did not say everybody is welcome hence the thread.

Do you have a link to a podcast of this? Or even what radio station this was on?

Or do we just trust you that he was a heterophobe and organise a lynching?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 placebo29

Worth pointin out that the guy on the radio was saying that the bid had to come from and LGBT organisation and not that u had to be LGBT to participate. I think the question and answer were slightly misunderstood

placebo29 wrote: »
    Worth pointin out that the guy on the radio was saying that the bid had to come from and LGBT organisation and not that u had to be LGBT to participate. I think the question and answer were slightly misunderstood

And it was on the Tom Dunne show on newstalk this morning. The question was do you have to be from the LGBT community to participate and if you listen you'll hear that the question the representative thinks is answering is do you have to be from the LGBT community to bid??

So this clear everything up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

fran17 wrote: »
    confusion,envy,anger with the way they are,knowing that they will never be fully accepted in society.thats just my amateur psychology but i doubt there is anyone who wishes they were gay

I know quite a number of people who are gay, none of them confused, envious or angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The website says different.

Once again:

DID YOU READ THE LINK I PROVIDED EARLIER IN THE THREAD?
    The website has the answers to what I presume are your questions on their FAQ:
    Again, from the FAQ:

Did you read the link?
    Did you even read the link I provided earlier in the thread?
    I'll ask again:

Did you read the page linked to in these earlier posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

It's not unusual for organisers of any sporting event to require registration with or membership of clubs in order to be eligible to participate, unless it's a very local event. I doubt if participants would have to be gay or to prove they are - just registered with the LBGT.

It certainly seems that the OP shouldn't be disappointed after all, & should continue training for his chosen event. Just remember OP: it's not the winning that matters, it's the taking part. Best of Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Why is this even up for debate? The FAQ states that it is open to everybody, and it will simultaneously bring money into the country and help to eradicate the discrimination that the Catholics tried to promote in this country in the last century.

I listened to it, he actually was very clear, he said for participants "the original request for information does need to come through a community interest group". He was only asked once & that was the response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sure Limerick wouldn't have any gays would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And it was on the Tom Dunne show on newstalk this morning. The question was do you have to be from the LGBT community to participate and if you listen you'll hear that the question the representative thinks is answering is do you have to be from the LGBT community to bid??

Clear as mud, did I hear the wrong answer or did the guy answer a question that wasn't asked.

@OwenS, keep the catholics out of it. It's gone sideways enough as it is. One lynching will be enough.

Clear as mud, did I hear the wrong answer or did the guy answer a question that wasn't asked.

@OwenS, keep the catholics out of it. It's gone sideways enough as it is. One lynching will be enough.

He answered a question he wasn't asked, he was probably nervous and misunderstood or misheard the question. Give it a rest, you can enter if ya want be you lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, queer or straight.

He answered a question he wasn't asked, he was probably nervous and misunderstood or misheard the question. Give it a rest, you can enter if ya want be you lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, queer or straight.

He didn't answer a question he wasn't asked. He was asked if you had to be from the LGBT community to participate & he said "the original request for information does need to come through a community interest group". That's answering what he was asked as far as I can see.

Muir wrote: »

He didn't answer a question he wasn't asked. He was asked if you had to be from the LGBT community to participate & he said "the original request for information does need to come through a community interest group". That's answering what he was asked as far as I can see.

You're probably right, i only listened once so probably misheard it myself but we essentially agree :)

It'd be just a load of cock and bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

fran17 wrote: »
    Because of small minded hateful cretins preaching hatred all over the world.
    well if someone dont agree or approve with the gay lifestyle and all that it entails then does that make then small minded just cause they dont agree,i dont think so.i really dont understand how some big"look how gay we are" event forwards there cause.whiffs of desperate and longing for approval to me
    Of course it's small minded to disagree with something if you can't produce reasons why there's something wrong with it. You can't produce one reason and this means you are both bigoted and small minded. You're looking in disdain at an event that has no impact upon your life. Events that encourage equality and acceptance in a world that needs to grow out of its prejudices is highly beneficial, and progressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Clear as mud...
    Clear as mud indeed, but not to worry as I provided a link for you to have a read through earlier in the thread that should explain all you need to know.

Did you get a chance to read it yet? Just in case you missed it, here it is again.

Pay close attention to the following passage contained therein:
    The Gay Games welcome athletes of all sexual orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Limerick's gone from stab city to..
    *clicks fingers, shakes hips, smiles cheesily*
    .. FAB CITY!! xxoxxo <3

• Advertisement

You're probably right, i only listened once so probably misheard it myself but we essentially agree :)

Yup, we agree =]
    I know I quoted your post but I meant to direct that more at drunkmonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ive heard it all now ''The gay games''
    Like anyone gives a ****e.

I really love it how its always the people who preach so much about wanting to be treated equal the same as everyone else who have to set up there own separate little groups and agendas.

Why not just have a competition and not mention word gay in it mmm???

Nah sure that wouldnt get anyones attention would it..... :)

And by the way for anyone who mentioned the special Olympics and the Paralympics being treated the same as the proper Olympics nah never and never will be and theres a reason for that hence the reason they have them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I really love it how its always the people who preach so much about wanting to be treated equal the same as everyone else who have to set up there own separate little groups and agendas.

Like the many Women's Rights Movements around the world, or the African-American Civil Rights Movement or the Chicano Civil Rights Movement?

Yeah, I hate that too - the way people who have something in common & who suffer social or political discrimination, get together and form groups with their own agendas in order to try and gain the same rights as everyone else.

It's a feckin disgrace, so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Like the many Women's Rights Movements around the world, or the African-American Civil Rights Movement or the Chicano Civil Rights Movement?

Yeah, I hate that too - the way people who have something in common & who suffer social or political discrimination, get together and form groups with their own agendas in order to try and gain the same rights as everyone else.

And now they've been giving out computer keyboards and educations! What A Bunch Of Cnuts!

See this is the typical response :)

They dont want the same rights as everyone else they dont want to be treated same as everyone else. They make it clear there different to everyone else and should be treated a different way.

That is clear when u enter a conversation with most people in the LGBT section of Boards. Your not aloud disagree with them or ''Offend'' them as they put it. Total ****ing one sided bull****.

End of the day ive no problem with most gay people i have some friends who are gay its the ones who have to ****ing parade it and preach it. I think same way when comes to any other group who have to shove what they want down everyone elses throat. I know for a fact any gay person male or female i have ever gotten on with or befriended would have no problem with who i am and what i think because unlike some i am not two faced i say it like it is. Weather anyone likes that or not.

They dont want the same rights as everyone else they dont want to be treated same as everyone else. They make it clear there different to everyone else and should be treated a different way.

That is clear when u enter a conversation with most people in the LGBT section of Boards. Your not aloud disagree with them or ''Offend'' them as they put it. Total ****ing one sided bull****.

End of the day ive no problem with most gay people i have some friends who are gay its the ones who have to ****ing parade it and preach it. I think same way when comes to any other group who have to shove what they want down everyone elses throat. I know for a fact any gay person male or female i have ever gotten on with or befriended would have no problem with who i am and what i think because unlike some i am not two faced i say it like it is. Weather anyone likes that or not.
    You don't want a discussion, you want a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Don't quite understand the need for a "gay games". After all Tom Daley participated and won a medal in the recent Olympics and you can be sure there are other gay Olympians too.

This post man. This post.

MarkHitide wrote: »
    Could be the same really depends how you look at it......

MarkHitide wrote: »
    Could be the same really depends how you look at it......

No, it doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Mod

angerfist, do not take your issues with another forum into AHs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Do you have to be gay to take part?

I'm a bit of a crap athlete - that should be the reason not to be allowed to take part. My choice of who I like to roide should not.

Anyway, the big questions is - how do I make money out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... I think the LBGT community on this thread need a good look in the mirror as there attatitude isn't far off the discrimination heard today.
    You do realise that most of the people on this thread whose eyebrows are raising at the tone of your posts aren't actually LGBT, don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

heteros are probably not welcome as it is probably not a serious sporting event but more a chance to frollick among the Gay community.

what are the bets that lesbian mud wrestling is one of the events?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Fuinseog wrote: »
    heteros are probably not welcome as it is probably not a serious sporting event but more a chance to frollick among the Gay community.

Except they are welcome. That's twice you've posted without reading the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

See, I just don't get one thing. Why even consider Limerick.

I don't imagine it has the sporting resources.
    There are better places to have it if you want a political or social impact

And it's fecking limerick. Who actually wants to go to that place?

Grayson wrote: »
    See, I just don't get one thing. Why even consider Limerick.

I don't imagine it has the sporting resources.
    There are better places to have it if you want a political or social impact

And it's fecking limerick. Who actually wants to go to that place?

Doesn't Limerick have some of the best sporting facilities in the country?

Dare I ask what these special rights we supposedly want are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ireland is one of the many countries across the world that has a poor record in allowing the same basic rights to gay people as it does to everyone else. Admittedly, we are not the worst, but this is still a country which prevents gay marriage and adoption rights and which allows 90% of it's schools to remain in control of a religious organisation which has a very fundamental basic doctrine that homosexuality is morally wrong.

So to proffer the belief that gay people are treated equally is clearly wrong.

When you have a situation where people believe that they are not treated equally - which is clearly the case in Ireland - then these people are well within their rights to express their opposition to this. You are missing the fundamental point here - LGBTs don't make noise in order to be treated differently, but in order to be treated the same.

I have no doubt that if they had equal rights across the board, there would be less noise, because there would be little to make noise about. People will only "preach" when there is something to "preach" about.

However, if they - or any other group in society - wish to get together and have a celebration of their community, be it through a Gay Olympics, a male-only skinny dipping day, a women's charity run, or whatever... then fair play to them. Let them at it & let them enjoy themselves.

It has no effect on your life whatsoever, so why do you let it bother you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

lots of really bad jokes on this thread.

Anyone who wants can enter the games. They're not gonna test your sexuality on the way in. Most athletes will be gay but there are team sports involved which may well have straight participants.

I understand the question "why strive for equality and then have the 'gay' games".

Well all being equal gay people are still a minority and want to meet other gay people, especially ones who share common interests and outside of the club/bar environment.
    I reckon it's a good thing and definitely would be a big boost to limerick for local businesses and the like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

On a lighter note, I would like to see James Corden in a leotard doing rhythmic gymnastics again.

Well that was fun..... See yas next time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

ShaunC wrote: »
    On a lighter note, I would like to see James Corden in a leotard doing rhythmic gymnastics again.

I wouldn't. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Don't quite understand the need for a "gay games". After all Tom Daley participated and won a medal in the recent Olympics and you can be sure there are other gay Olympians too.

Ahem,

Tom Daley is not gay. What are you talking about right there?

Thanks to Mail online; there are pictures of him with his american girlfriend; Kassidy Cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Football is a sport that still has big hangups. Don't listen to what any media campaign tells you, homophobia is still rife in the game and is in someways encouraged.

To date Justin Fashanu is the most high profile player who came out. However we know the trouble that brought him. Old school chaps like Brian Clough couldn't handle having such person in his squad. Even his brother John stated at the time that no homosexual would be tolerated at Wimbledon. Justin ended up taking his own life and I think that only strengthened the stigma of being a gay footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Football is a sport that still has big hangups. Don't listen to what any media campaign tells you, homophobia is still rife in the game and is in someways encouraged.

To date Justin Fashanu is the most high profile player who came out. However we know the trouble that brought him. Old school chaps like Brian Clough couldn't handle having such person in his squad. Even his brother John stated at the time that no homosexual would be tolerated at Wimbledon. Justin ended up taking his own life and I think that only strengthened the stigma of being a gay footballer.

It was a different time, terrible none the less, but racism was also a big problem then. I think the racism was very successfully dealt with. Why not have a similar programme for homophobia and sexism in soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

lads, I couldn't believe it when I heard there was such a thing as the gay games...probably like most of ye? some people are trying to "live and let live", but....there are certain limits....I'm gay btw, I want to live like everyone else and I am genuinely amazed that there is such a thing as the gay games?!?!?! Please don't get me wrong, but I'm happy with being gay, but to hold another event outsde Gay pride? I'm lost!

lads, I couldn't believe it when I heard there was such a thing as the gay games...probably like most of ye? some people are trying to "live and let live", but....there are certain limits....I'm gay btw, I want to live like everyone else and I am genuinely amazed that there is such a thing as the gay games?!?!?! Please don't get me wrong, but I'm happy with being gay, but to hold another event outsde Gay pride? I'm lost!

Why? It's an all inclusive event, doesn't exclude anybody, and is just about encouraging participation, equality, respect.

It doesn't do abybody any harm or exclude anything and is an event to bring the gay community together for something positive.

Colmustard wrote: »
    It was a different time, terrible none the less, but racism was also a big problem then. I think the racism was very successfully dealt with. Why not have a similar programme for homophobia and sexism in soccer.

Yes I agree the racism problem in England has been for the most part successfully eradicated. I just feel the homophobia issue will be a bigger battle, its just the nature of the game at the moment.

In regards to sexism that could be a bridge that's never gapped. For instance I remember Mike Newell's outburst over female officials a few years ago. In fairness though women have their own game, I'd agree at keeping the sexes entirely separate to their respective games when it comes to match officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

floggg wrote: »
    Why? It's an all inclusive event, doesn't exclude anybody, and is just about encouraging participation, equality, respect.

It doesn't do abybody any harm or exclude anything and is an event to bring the gay community together for something positive.

I'm sorry if I came across arse ways... My good God..... Why is there always somebody to pick away at the most genuine of comments? I know its AH but in fairness... We don't have the straight Olympics, or Straight Pride... I'm Gay, yup thats me... like a certain amount of people.... no matter what i say here I'm going to be shot down.... all I'm saying is, if gay people are going to be accepted, then, we need to be like everyone else. No difference etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes I agree the racism problem in England has been for the most part successfully eradicated. I just feel the homophobia issue will be a bigger battle, its just the nature of the game at the moment.

In regards to sexism that could be a bridge that's never gapped. For instance I remember Mike Newell's outburst over female officials a few years ago. In fairness though women have their own game, I'd agree at keeping the sexes entirely separate to their respective games when it comes to match officials.

why?

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    why?

It just won't happen, football is a complex topic but its stand out feature is that it's male dominated. Like I said personally I want to see the male game remain that way. Women's football is great in its own way and women should concentrate on continuing its development and furthering public awareness to the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement