Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Walking Insurance

Options
  • 23-08-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get dog walking/sitting insurance cover in Ireland.

A couple of brokers have drawn a blank for standalone cover (you can get it as part of a dog grooming business).

Aviva and FBD don't do it, anyone know of anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What exactly are you insuring against? Most domestic dogs have no intrinsic value so the only risk I can see is if the dog needs veterinary care as a result of your negligence and you could easily cover your ass protect yourself by insisting that your customers have their own pet insurance if they refuse to sign a disclaimer indemnifying you from liability as a result of your negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What if a dog in my charge ran out on a road and caused an accident? What if one attacked and killed another dog? What if one attacked a person?
    That's the kind of thing I'm worried about.

I'm not a legal expert but I understand that it's the owner that's liable, same as if one of his children was in charge of the dog when such an incident happens. As far as I know, your only personal legal exposure would be if you allowed the dog to run loose in a park where the local authority had by-laws in force stating that dogs had to be kept on a leash.

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm not a legal expert but I understand that it's the owner that's liable, same as if one of his children was in charge of the dog when such an incident happens. As far as I know, your only personal legal exposure would be if you allowed the dog to run loose in a park where the local authority had by-laws in force stating that dogs had to be kept on a leash.

Ok. And if I did let them off the leash where they aren't allowed? :roll:

A fine via ticket from one of those non-existent park wardens. ;)

• Advertisement

I'm nearly on first name terms with the dog warden at this stage, bloody pest! ;) But insurance wise how would affect me?

I'm nearly on first name terms with the bloody dog warden at this stage, he's appeared from nowhere recently. But insurance wise how would affect me?

Advertisement