Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland & Personal Defence Weapons (Pepper Spray etc..)

• 23-08-2012 2:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Oh and Hai thar. I was wondering, what PDW are legal in Ireland? Can you legally buy and carrying things like Pepper Spray, or say something like Brass Knuckles etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

No. Neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Augmerson wrote: »
    Oh and Hai thar. I was wondering, what PDW are legal in Ireland? Can you legally buy and carrying things like Pepper Spray, or say something like Brass Knuckles etc?

pepper spray is treated as a firearm. "no" on the brass knucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Nope on either of those.

I just shìt my pants and hope they'll be disgusted enough to leave me alone.

Quite handy when there's a big queue at the ATM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Stun Weapons?

Stun Weapons?

As in Tasers? Treated as a firearm, "no".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Fisty Cuffs are legal.

Use them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Use your obvious charisma to disarm any possible assailants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

nope
    but their easy to get
    me da has one in his taxi
    except its not pepper spray
    its a spray he got on holidays
    its very dangerous
    if you inhale it when its sprayed, it closes up your throat and basicly your ****ed for about 5minutes until it wers off

although he hasnt had a chance to use it
    so i can imagin if someone tryed to rob him in the taxi
    he sprayed them with it, and it ends up just been water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

frag420 wrote: »
    Fisty Cuffs are legal.

Use them!!

Only when you are tied to a bedpost with a cucumber up your hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

You are not allowed to carry anything to my knowledge.

You must put your faith in the age old believe that it'll be grand!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nope. Things that are not designed as weapons occupy a grey area, i.e a small can of hairspray, a water pistol full of concentrated mace/water mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,560 ✭✭✭Heroditas

saiint wrote: »
    nope
    but their easy to get
    its very dangerous
    if you inhale it when its sprayed, it closes up your throat and basicly your ****ed for about 5minutes until it wers off

Translation? :confused:

Heroditas wrote: »

a few mis spelt words and you need an entire translation? failed attempt at being funny? i think so

a few mis spelt words and you need an entire translation? failed attempt at being funny? i think so

More than a few.
    I wasn't attempting to be funny.
    Have you heard of NALA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

No PDWs OP, you might hurt your attacker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What language would you like it translated to?

A legible/comprehensible form of English would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

What are you? Some kind of scumbag?
    So you get jumped by 10 youths, defend yourself under the law, you may kick them in the knee to knock them down and run away.

There's your defense. Pfft, using weapons like a scumbag.
    Poor Damo and his mates could get hurt that way when they try smashing your face in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

If you were attacked, and used a PDW, you'd get more time in jail than your attacker would get if he put you in a coma!

What are you? Some kind of scumbag?
    So you get jumped by 10 youths, defend yourself under the law, you may kick them in the knee to knock them down and run away.

There's your defense. Pfft, using weapons like a scumbag.
    Poor Damo and his mates could get hurt that way when they try smashing your face in!

God Sir, I am not a scumbag. A friend from Sweden asked me what was legal in Ireland to carry as she was moving over for work in Dublin. Apparently you can carry Pepper Spray in Sweden. I said I didn't know what was legal....BUT I KNEW WHO WOULD KNOW, THOSE INTELLIGENT FELLOWS OVER IN AFTER HOURS.

• Advertisement

More than a few.
    Have you heard of NALA?

yes you were
    and it failed mate:)
    this is an irish site? we irish dont exactly speak the proper english language? i can google translate it for you to British English if you like?
    lets be honest if you cant read that
    id be worried about your reading capabilities then someone else who makes mistakes in spelling

yes you were
    this is an irish site? we irish dont exactly speak the proper english language? i can google translate it for you to British English if you like?

Your posts read like aborted haiku's.

God Sir, I am not a scumbag. A friend from Sweden asked me what was legal in Ireland to carry as she was moving over for work in Dublin. Apparently you can carry Pepper Spray in Sweden. I said I didn't know what was legal....BUT I KNEW WHO WOULD KNOW, THOSE INTELLIGENT FELLOWS OVER IN AFTER HOURS.

I was making a joke about how the scumbags in ireland would get in less trouble for beating you up compared to you using pepper spray to stop them. :)

yes you were

Now he's putting question marks at the end of every sentence to give his posts the pseudo American accent... the annoying one with the upward intonation at the end of every sentence.
    You should try reading it out loud?
    You'll see what I mean?

Now he's putting question marks at the end of every sentence to give his posts the pseudo American accent... the annoying one with the upward intonation at the end of every sentence.
    You'll see what I mean?

sounds kwl
    oh sorry i mean "cool"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

More than a few.
    Have you heard of NALA?
    A legible/comprehensible form of English would be nice.
    yes you were
    lets be honest if you cant read that
    id be worried about your reading capabilities then someone else who makes mistakes in spelling
    You'll see what I mean?
    sounds kwl
    oh sorry i mean "cool"

Enough!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you were attacked, and used a PDW, you'd get more time in jail than your attacker would get if he put you in a coma!

The above comment is very true. The sh1tkicking scumbags who try to attack you won't get in half as much bother as you if you mace or pepper spray them.

The law is fcuked up.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The above comment is very true. The sh1tkicking scumbags who try to attack you won't get in half as much bother as you if you mace or pepper spray them.

The law is fcuked up.

Ah now come on, who's the real scumbag? The poor deprived kids who are on the dole addicted to drugs/drink or the monster who brutally uses a weapon in self-defense against 10 deprived youths from a poor area?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Unfortunately Ireland has far too big a problem with organized crime for this to ever be viable. Best keep it as complicated and difficult as possible for scumbags to arm themselves. :(

Can you imagine the bloodbath at the Swedish House Mafia if the scumbags who stabbed people had instead been armed with tasers? Or if they had been able to fire a cannister of pepper spray into the crowd before starting their rampages?

The reprecussions are too hideous to contemplate...

• Advertisement

Ah now come on, who's the real scumbag? The poor deprived kids who are on the dole addicted to drugs/drink or the monster who brutally uses a weapon in self-defense against 10 deprived youths from a poor area?:pac:

you'd make a great solicitor :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Under the 1925 Firearms act, weapons which emit noxious liquids or gases are banned. Banned outright, you can't possess one and it's not possible to obtain a permit for one. The question is, what constitutes a weapon and what is the exact definition of noxious.

nox·ious
    adj.
    1. Harmful to living things; injurious to health:

Is pepper spray harmful or injurious or merely annoying? Even if it is harmful or injurious if it is used for some other legal purpose it could then be legal. Eg caustic oven cleaner sprays, weedkiller sprays etc are very likely "noxious" and worse than pepper spray if sprayed in someone's eyes - but they are legal to own. However if you are in a public place and are carrying something that could be used as a weapon and you have no good reason to have it then that would be against the law.

In other legislation there is a long list of specific items that you cannot sell or import. Machetes, throwing stars etc. IIRC they are legal to own but if you are carrying one in a public place you're probably in trouble as you're not going to be able to use the "good reason" excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Four scumbags came up to me and my friend. One said they were police looking for drugs (a cunning ruse) then pushed and threw a punch at my friend. I pepper sprayed two of them, told my friend to run, and we ran off. That was the end of it.

Now I dont think we were in any proper danger. They were just dumb young twats trying to show off to each other, rather than more dangerous types. The punch the guy threw didn't connect properly even though it took my friend by surprise. At the risk of sounding liek a keyboard warrior or something I know we would have handled them easily enough and they would have realised they shouldn't have tried anything anyway. My friend was short but also very strong and I knew him from karate and judo classes. I myself have had a couple of occasions where I needed to defend myself and I was well able to do so as well. Nonetheless, there is always the possibility that some silly twat thinks pulling a knife is better than losing face. But really my point is that, without pepper spray, there was no way that situation was going to result in anything but more violence and physical injury. In Ireland the law against them is silly.

Incidentally the pepper spray was just actual peppers crushed up and put in a spray can. I managed to get some in my own face when I used it somehow, and it hurt and made my eyes run, but it was never going to do anyone any actual damage by itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Unfortunately Ireland has far too big a problem with organized crime...
    no, it doesn't. Step away from the Paul Williams book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Four scumbags came up to me and my friend. One said they were police looking for drugs (a cunning ruse) then pushed and threw a punch at my friend. I pepper sprayed two of them, told my friend to run, and we ran off. That was the end of it.

Now I dont think we were in any proper danger. They were just dumb young twats trying to show off to each other, rather than more dangerous types. The punch the guy threw didn't connect properly even though it took my friend by surprise. At the risk of sounding liek a keyboard warrior or something I know we would have handled them easily enough and they would have realised they shouldn't have tried anything anyway. My friend was short but also very strong and I knew him from karate and judo classes. I myself have had a couple of occasions where I needed to defend myself and I was well able to do so as well. Nonetheless, there is always the possibility that some silly twat thinks pulling a knife is better than losing face. But really my point is that, without pepper spray, there was no way that situation was going to result in anything but more violence and physical injury. In Ireland the law against them is silly.

Incidentally the pepper spray was just actual peppers crushed up and put in a spray can. I managed to get some in my own face when I used it somehow, and it hurt and made my eyes run, but it was never going to do anyone any actual damage by itself.

I BELIEVE YOU.

No, really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Nodin wrote: »
    I BELIEVE YOU.

No, really.
    Why would I make that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Nodin wrote: »
    pepper spray is treated as a firearm.

Duuude ...seriously?

Rigol wrote: »
    Duuude ...seriously?

O yeah. Same with Tasers.

Why would I make that up?

That would be outside my remit and area of professional competence, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

OP tell your friend to learn the bodys pressure points. They can then become a defense weapon themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Jamlad

take up Krav maga.. should be weapon enough when competent at it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Rigol wrote: »
    Duuude ...seriously?
    Essentially, but at least you can get a permit for a firearm. You cannot get one for pepper spray. We live in a real nanny state.

Toy guns are treated as if they're real firearms if the person you wave it at thinks it's real. So remember that the next time your kids lean over the nasty neighbours wall and pretend to shoot them.

But a decent alternative to pepper spray is simply any perfume or other similar spray. Most women carry perfume with them. A face full of that is enough to put anyone off. Deep Heat too might be a bit offputting.

Me? I just run like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nidge_Weasel

nope
    but their easy to get
    its very dangerous

or he'l use it, in the confined space of a taxi and knock himself out just as bad or worse than the assailant, and still get the shoite kicked outta him by said assailant and his cronies

Advertisement