Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine Brew with one Fermenter

Options
  • 23-08-2012 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Anyone done it?

Hope the batch after next one will be a wine brew. white wine preferebly.
    Starting to plan ahead for this and looking at what extra, if any gear i need.
    At the moment i just have One Fermenting Bucket, Syphon, Spoon, Hydrometer, Thermometer.

If i can get away with just using what i have then happy days. Speaking to few people they advise i can get away with using one bucket but unfamiliar with the procedures for un-carbonating and stuff.

I do know i shouldn't use the same spoon. Apparently this is a big no no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I have done it a couple of times but not with a wine kit.

Secondary fermenters are really useful for clearing out the sediment and racking. Degassing, and de-oxidising I dont have much experience of, as I tend to bottle condition everything, including my wines, but I have bottled still wines before.

I tend to use champagne corks anyway with cages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

ok i've got another idea for this wine brew i'll be doing shortly.
    Instead of hording 30 odd empty wine bottles in the press it might be better to buy a couple of these wine bags http://www.winemakeri.com/Wine_On_Tap_Bags_Taps_p/17133.htm

they hold 15ltr per bag i think.

Just stick the bag in a box. the bag has a tap at the end so perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

ian_m wrote: »

thats exactly what i need. off to the recycle centre to dump these bottles

whats the advantage of using a carboy as the secondary. Is it not as easy to just use a second ferementing bucket. trying to save a few quid if it means i need to but a second fermenter and avoid spending 40 lids on a carboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Plastic should be fine. I never understood the obsession with carboys tbh. Maybe if you were ageing for a very long time in secondary, fair enough. Otherwise I would just stick with plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

syngindub wrote: »
    ok i've got another idea for this wine brew i'll be doing shortly.
    Instead of hording 30 odd empty wine bottles in the press it might be better to buy a couple of these wine bags http://www.winemakeri.com/Wine_On_Tap_Bags_Taps_p/17133.htm

Do you know if they're reusable? Yes, I'm that scabby.

Khannie wrote: »
    Do you know if they're reusable? Yes, I'm that scabby.

doubt it. they be horible to clean

Advertisement