Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV Tuner Repair - To Fix or To Buy

• 23-08-2012 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Samsung 21" CRT TV, model CW21A113V. It's approximately 8 years old. The tuner connector has broken off, the aerial connection socket itself. Apart from that, the TV works fine. I have already spent about an hour removing the broken tuner unit. I have been looking online for a replacement part (Samsung AA40-00076A). The genuine part seems to cost around £45 stg. which is about €55. At that price, would I be better off simply dumping the TV and replacing it with a working second hand model for the same price? I thought I was going to be able to use the tuner out of a different old TV I have, but no, it doesn't fit. I then assumed I'd pick up a second hand or some generic replacement for €20 or thereabouts, but it seems I'm wrong on that count too.

Is there another replacement tuner unit, a generic one, which will fit my TV and make it worth my while repairing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If it's just the socket that's come off and there's no damage to the circuit board then it may be possible to put a fly-lead into it that will allow an aerial to be connected. Where are you based ? I might be able to help if you're close.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

I'm in North Donegal. I just realised after posting yesterday that in fact I'm not going to need the tuner after all. The TV is going to be used with a freeview and Saorview receiver. As it has two scart sockets I won't need the tuner at all.

However, I'm still curious about the fly-lead idea. What is it? Or can you point me in the direction of info on it? The TV still works but I can't guarantee the circuit board in the tuner is 100%. Visually it seems fine but that's all I have to go on.

Thanks for your input though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Basically I'd solder a short length of coax on to the tuner where the connector used to be connected to the tuners circuit board. I'd then terminate this coax with a TV connector enabling you to plug in a standard aerial connection. Not ideal but in cases where the original connection is beyond repair or B.E.R then it's an option to allow the set to be used a while longer.

I'm in Dublin so probably B.E.R.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

ZENER wrote: »
    Basically I'd solder a short length of coax on to the tuner where the connector used to be connected to the tuners circuit board. I'd then terminate this coax with a TV connector enabling you to plug in a standard aerial connection. Not ideal but in cases where the original connection is beyond repair or B.E.R then it's an option to allow the set to be used a while longer.

I'm in Dublin so probably B.E.R.

Ken

Hmmm...interesting! I might have a go at that some afternoon when I get a bit of time. It sounds like it might try my patience, but I've nothing to lose. Thanks for the advice and the offer of help!

Advertisement