Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais estimated bills

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kamikazejay

In order to contact the energy regulator I have to escalate my complaint with Bord Gais first but they won't even let me file a complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Just do it via a registered letter and put "official complaint" somewhere in the letter.

edit: although I don't see the commission saying anything different than BGN are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Under Gas used it says 68000kwh. I looked through all the bills from the last six years and they all said E. I had the investigate why those phone call were not on record but they can only look back two months so they didn't investigate further. The phone calls I have on my bill for example october 2010 of 1,34 minutes to the dial a read phone number don't have any effect. I was told that I could have just hung up or not put in anything and that it would have been my responsibility to check the reflection of that meter reading on the next bill two months later.

What is the actual difference in the readings? kwh is the units used multiplied by a conversion factor. The conversion factor could be different depending on how old your meter is. Check on your bill to see what the conversion factor is.

the conversion factor is 31.9 that comes out to 2158 units HCF

the conversion factor is 31.9 that comes out to 2158 units HCF

Oh. Mine was about 11 when I had gas. Has your conversion factor always been so high?

• Advertisement

it used to be at 32.2

Maybe because of the cubic feet rather than cubic meters?

Zab wrote: »
    Oh. Mine was about 11 when I had gas. Has your conversion factor always been so high?
    It's because he has an old meter. If/When his meter is upgraded the conversion factor would go down to 11 ish. It doesn't mean he's paying anymore, it's just a different way of calculating it.

Even in the cold months we never need more than 2000 kwh in a two month tonus. 68000 kwh would be enough for 68 months of winter. I don't even think that this is physically possible

Yeah, I wasn't aware that the older ones were that much higher.

• Advertisement

It says 1972 imprinted to the front of it but I don't know if that is the manufacturing year

I think you should just try and test the meter yourself. Take a meter read and turn the gas off at the meter for a few hours. The meter shouldn't change.

We tried that and tested for a leak but there is none. I honestly think that meter turns the 1000 dial sometimes together with the 100 dial but I am hesitant to pay those 400 Euros in advance to get the meter tested especially because they dont want to test it in my presence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

We tried that and tested for a leak but there is none. I honestly think that meter turns the 1000 dial sometimes together with the 100 dial but I am hesitant to pay those 400 Euros in advance to get the meter tested especially because they dont want to test it in my presence

To be honest it just sounds like this has all been caused by the estimated bills. I think it's well worth getting this assessed if you think it is faulty. Otherwise you're going to have to pay the monies owed (which you may end up having to do if there's nothing wrong with the meter).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I severely doubt it, the meters are very reliable, the only time they'll be changed is for for benefit of the Company.

They only get slower over time, not faster.

Advertisement