Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel double charged me - is it time to involve a solicitor?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

I went to London in May and used a 3rd party booking system to book a hotel room at a discounted rate. The 3rd party is well-known and reputable.

When I got to the hotel, they insisted on charging me for the room, even though the room had already been paid for, in full, at the time of my booking with the 3rd party. So although I had already paid the 3rd party, the hotel insisted that I pay them directly for the room. I was in London with no where to sleep unless I complied, so I paid for the room again.

Since then, both the hotel and the 3rd party have agreed that I am owed a refund. I have sent them the proof on my VISA bill of both charges, the invoice from the hotel from their charge, and the invoice from the 3rd party showing that payment. Although both institutions agree I am owed a refund, both are blaming the other party and the result is that I am 4 months still waiting for a hefty sum of money to be returned to me.

How do I escalate this? I've complained to both the hotel management and the 3rd party customer service several times (I contact them probably once a week). I think a letter from a solicitor might be a good step, but have no idea where to start. And solicitors' time would be costly, and that would come out of my own pocket, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Was it paid by credit card? - it seems it was

If so, seek a charge back from Visa. It's no skin off your nose who loses out.

Hiring a solicitor costs money. A call to Visa should be cheaper.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm no solicitor but I would see it thus: Your original contract was with the 3rd party. They are the ones that didnt pass on your payment to the hotel, or messed up in some other way causing the hotel to charge you as well. The hotel provided a service which you paid for. The third party did not provide the service they promised (providing you with the hotel, as paid for to them). The third party are who I would pursue on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Call your bank, explain you paid with your card, and service was not provided to you. They will take it from there.

PS don't waste money on solicitors letters, your bank deals with chargebacks everyday, and it's their job to protect cardholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You're entitled to a chargeback from your credit card company. Write to the "Chargebacks and Disputes" section at your credit card companies customer service address.

Enclose copies of all the relevant documents. Explain that despite the company admitting liability, you've been waiting 4 months and have still not received a refund. Say you now want a chargeback of the amount you paid them.

The disputed amount should appear as a credit on your next statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lighterthought

A chargeback... ok, I've never heard of that before but it sounds like an easier and more straight-forward solution than a solicitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement