Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pension with bank or broker

Options
  • 23-08-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

I've an offer from both the bank of ireland and a broker
    100% allocation, mgmt charge of .75% with boi or 1% with zurich through the broker.
    the broker argues that zurich have a wider range of funds, the boi refute it saying they all have similar funds depending on your choice.
    just wondering how these figures sound? can eagle star/aviva match boi?
    i'd be putting in the max for my age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

digzy wrote: »
    I've an offer from both the bank of ireland and a broker
    100% allocation, mgmt charge of .75% with boi or 1% with zurich through the broker.
    the broker argues that zurich have a wider range of funds, the boi refute it saying they all have similar funds depending on your choice.
    just wondering how these figures sound? can eagle star/aviva match boi?
    i'd be putting in the max for my age.
    Whats your risk profile op? What Zurich funds has your broker recommended. If you are just investing in managed funds or index trackers there shouldnt be too much of a difference. Both providers have funds for all risk profiles but some of the Boi funds have an extra charge. The 0.25% would stack up after a few years. Broker is probably getting a nice chunk of commission as is the BOI rep so just bear that in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sounds like charges for a single premium contribution. To give you an idea of the commission, eg 20k single contribution, that particular boi contract will pay max 1% and the zurich contract pays 105% allocation, therefore 5% comm. ask the broker to increase ur allocation. On a side note boi have a better range of risk managed funds. Tho watch out for increases in management fee for different funds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Double post

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

BOI cannot give independent and impartial advice I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 hwfs.ie

The difference of using the broker should be impartial advice. The broker should be able to advise on New Ireland (BOI) funds as well as Zurich. the reason for the difference in the management charge is to do with commission for the broker.

BOI will be charging approx 1% commission - you will see this on the disclosure report they have issued.
    The Broker will be charging approx 5% commission

Zurich do have a contract with a 0.75% annual management fee so if you want Zurich with a lower management fee then ask the broker to take less commission.

In terms of range of funds both companies have a wide range of funds so make sure you get one that suits your risk profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭HowFinancial

If unsure of your current broker, suggest try a different broker. Bank often give "off the shelf" products. Broker should be better positioned to tailor pension product to your individual needs, and should have access to wider range of suppliers (including same product suppliers bank uses).

More info on fees & charges here
    http://howfinancial.blogspot.ie/2011/05/retirement-planning-for-self-employed.html

By the way, I think Zurich are an excellent company

Advertisement