Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom modem constantly dropping connection.

Options
  • 23-08-2012 3:59pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So a few months back my eircom modem died and eircom sent out a new one.
    Unfortunately it was constantly dropping connection so a friend gave me his old netopia 3347 nwg which was doing ok but its now died so im stuck with the Zylex that eircom sent out a few months back.
    Any suggestions on what to do next?
    Id rather not ring support because to be honest ive enough of them to do me for 10 life times, no disrespect but ive never got anywhere with them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Dcully wrote: »
    So a few months back my eircom modem died and eircom sent out a new one.
    Unfortunately it was constantly dropping connection so a friend gave me his old netopia 3347 nwg which was doing ok but its now died so im stuck with the Zylex that eircom sent out a few months back.
    Any suggestions on what to do next?
    Id rather not ring support because to be honest ive enough of them to do me for 10 life times, no disrespect but ive never got anywhere with them.

Hi Dcully,

I've tested the line just now and the result tells me there is still a Netopia modem connected to the line. If you have a relatively new Zyxel it would be worth connecting it and trying the firmware upgrade here. If you could give that a go and monitor over night we'll chase this up tomorrow and see what we can do with regards the connection. The stats do look decent at the moment, even with the Netopia connected, noise margin is around 14dB and attenuation at 20dB on the downstream. Can I ask you how many devices would be connected at any one time and if you have any other equipment on the line such as a monitored alarm or a phone extension? This can also cause disconnections. I understand you may have been through some of this before but I do need to ask to help with the troubleshooting process.

Regards

James

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks James, i got an old netopia from my father in law this evening alright but id like to get the Zylex working correctly.
    Ill update the firmware asap and see whats what.
    Im downloading games from steam today after a windows reinstall the other day,sometimes ill do so after a hardware upgrade.
    So maybe the test you have performed does not reflect the true state of affairs, no sure if that affects thigns from your end.

Can I ask you how many devices would be connected at any one time and if you have any other equipment on the line such as a monitored alarm or a phone extension? This can also cause disconnections. I understand you may have been through some of this before but I do need to ask to help with the troubleshooting process.

Yeah ive been through this before, i know the score full well:)
    Just to be clear James, the connection is fine,speeds are what i always get and expect, its definitely the Zylex where the issue arises, ive no disconnections since i went back to the netopia i got from the father in law.
    Ive being using the netopia for months since i got the Zylex from eircom, lastnight the netopia died,time to hook up the Zylex, 10 mins later im seeing the same disconnecting pattern, its 100% the zylex ;)

As i say ill hook it up and upgrade asap.
    Ill monitor things and reply back either way, thaks again for your reply.

Getting the following error when i try to upload the firmware file via the zylex interface page.

The uploaded file was not accepted by the router. Please return to the previous page and select a valid upgrade file. Click Help for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Getting the following error when i try to upload the firmware file via the zylex interface page.

The uploaded file was not accepted by the router. Please return to the previous page and select a valid upgrade file. Click Help for more information.

Thanks Dcully,

I think this error is related to uploading the wrong firmware. A recent sync check (23 Aug 22:01:16 0 -CPE InformationVendor Id: TSTC Modem Id: TSTC Version No: Serial No) is indicating that you may be still using the Netopia instead of the ZyXEL router.

It might be a good idea to call into Technical Support and they may be able to remotely upload the correct firmware on to your modem.

I've mentioned on boards before that it is necessary to upload the correct firmware in the right sequence. For example, you cannot upload firmware 3 before firmware 2 has been applied to the modem. This goes for both eircom Netopia 2247 and ZyXEL P600 series

If you would prefer, send me a screenshot of the gateway - Web interface with the firmware information: See Attachment.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Let me know if you need any more assistance on this.

Best Regards,
    Ant

Hi Ant, yes i went back to the netopia i borrowed lastnight as i was redownloading some games on steam and didnt want the connection to drop overnight.

Ive just set up the zylex again now,see attatchment for current firmware.

Do you have links for the various firmware updates so i upload them in the correct sequence?

Thanks for getting back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Ant, yes i went back to the netopia i borrowed lastnight as i was redownloading some games on steam and didnt want the connection to drop overnight.

Ive just set up the zylex again now,see attatchment for current firmware.

Do you have links for the various firmware updates so i upload them in the correct sequence?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hi Dcully,

Can you PM your email and I will send you the correct file to apply to your modem

Let me know if this works ok.

Thanks Ant

Just to update this, Ant was very helpful in emailing me a firmware update which seems to have done the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Just to update this, Ant was very helpful in emailing me a firmware update which seems to have done the trick.

Hi Dcully,

Thanks for getting back I will pass on the update to Ant.

Thanks, again.

Hi Dcully,

Thanks for getting back I will pass on the update to Ant.

Thanks, again.

Your welcome, its been 100% since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

All day today my connection has been dropping.

I'm on a laptop and every few mins, on the signal bar at the bottom of the screen, it has a red X; I click on the signal bars and the connection box comes up, so I have to manually click CONNECT.
    This is happening more and more lately.
    I notice another box that pops up saying VAIO SMART NETWORK WIRELESS ON-Sometimes it'll say VAIO SMART NETWORK WIRELESS OFF.

I also get a box popping up saying HOME LAN, SWITCH NOW? and CREATE PROFILE..This doesn't happen when I'm connected using the yellow cable.
    What is going on with my connection and can it be fixed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

fussyonion wrote: »
    All day today my connection has been dropping.

I'm on a laptop and every few mins, on the signal bar at the bottom of the screen, it has a red X; I click on the signal bars and the connection box comes up, so I have to manually click CONNECT.
    This is happening more and more lately.
    I notice another box that pops up saying VAIO SMART NETWORK WIRELESS ON-Sometimes it'll say VAIO SMART NETWORK WIRELESS OFF.

I also get a box popping up saying HOME LAN, SWITCH NOW? and CREATE PROFILE..This doesn't happen when I'm connected using the yellow cable.
    What is going on with my connection and can it be fixed?

Hi fussyonion,

I can't tell from your post what the exact issue is but I'll run through a few possibilities and perhaps you could try these and then if the issue remains we can look into it in more detail. I can't check the actual line without the details but to me it sounds like an issue with the software which manages the Wifi connection.

The most common problems we see include: Some laptops have a physical switch somewhere which enables/disables wireless. Check around the case for one of these, you'd be surprised how many people either don't realise there is a switch for this or else don't realise they are knocking it off by moving the laptop. There also may be a keyboard short-cut for doing this so check this just in case you're knocking it off without realising.

Another possibility is the power management scheme on the laptop. Most laptops are set to go into a basic mode when not plugged into a power socket and when battery is low, some non-essential features are switched off. If it comes back on shortly after knocking off then this may not be the issue however I did see one case where the power cable was loose and the battery wasn't holding a charge for very long so the connection comes loose for a few seconds and switches the laptop to power save mode.

Ensure that there is only one piece of software managing your wireless connection as Windows would have a default Wifi management but the Vaio has it's own software installed. Again, these are only possible solutions but worth checking.

If none of these do the trick, PM the account or phone number and I'll test the connection from our end. The fact that it stays connected via ethernet suggests that the DSL connection is ok. On the modem side of things, ensure that security is enabled on the network as there's always the risk of someone else using your Wifi if it's not protected. Also, this could simply be interference from other electrical/radio devices so changing the wireless channel on the modem could fix the issue. Let me know if you need any more help with it.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi James, sorry I'm only getting back to you now..I've been out all day.
    I called Eircom this morning and spoke to Richard and he fixed the problem; said my modem needed firmware upgrading?
    So he did that and everything's OK now.
    Thanks for the reply though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

fussyonion wrote: »
    Hi James, sorry I'm only getting back to you now..I've been out all day.
    I called Eircom this morning and spoke to Richard and he fixed the problem; said my modem needed firmware upgrading?
    So he did that and everything's OK now.
    Thanks for the reply though!

Thanks fussyonion
    I will advise James of this.
    Tony

Advertisement