Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 Month Old LOVES screaming!

Options
  • 23-08-2012 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help. My 15 month old son starting screaming around the 13 and a half month mark. He had teeth coming in then and we put it down to that, but he still does it now and seemingly for no reason. We thought it might be an attention thing but he does it at the most bizarre times. In every other respect he has been a great baby, he slept fine, fed fine, never had issues with his bowels and we put him in his own room at around 9 months and he took to that fine too. We've really had a lucky time with him, but the screaming has become a little bit much now. He screams at full voice in the supermarket, restaurant, friends houses and screams at us while we are having our dinner. :( It's an angry scream too, we're thinking lately that he's frustrated that he can't speak yet? He chats away gibberish and only really has mama, dada, ta-ta and a version of 'look' as recognised words.

We tried ignoring him, but he screamed so hard we were afraid he'd go hoarse, so we tried talking too him, distracting him etc. Nothing worked! It really is bothering my partner as she's almost afraid having to bring him shopping with her now. We're not a noisy house, and myself and my partner would never scream at each other. His big sister is quite loud though, but tries not to be loud around him.

It really is baffling, particularly as he can spend a lot of time entertaining himself too, he'd play away so quietly you'd have to keep an eye on him to know what he's up to :o

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MrsEd

Sounds like its definitely frustrations to do with not being able to communicate properly yet... You could try introducing flash cards or books with letters and photos to introduce more words into his vocab? We had a few books like that with photos of boy, girl, tree, apple, car etc ... Keeps them entertained

Or if you actually know why he is screaming then speak calmly to him and tell him you know what he wants - repeat it until the screaming stops

My 2 year old still does it in the supermarket etc & we have to tell him to use our indoor voice and that usually gets him to stop at least for the moment.

Teaching him about the world around him helps to keep him entertained as well. As for the on lookers, there isn't much we can do about that. Most parents will just smile and give me a knowing look. The ones that seem bothered by it most likely don't have kids and don't get it. They will have kids one day and then they'll know or else they'll just have to get over it. That's what kids do!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Not much advice I can give except to say that you're not alone- my nearly 1year old is the same- he's so loud!! I've come to the conclusion that its just his personality combined with being the youngest of three so having to make himself heard. He's especially bad at mealtimes. If we go out now we go to one particular restaurant that's very noisy and family friendly so no one cares too much. Other than that just develop a thick skin as regards people around you (within reason- have a bit of common sense about it and don't take him places where others are paying good money to have peace/quiet/romance).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

My son is also 15 months old and he screams like mad when we shop. We were in Tesco today and the whole time I was wheeling him around in the trolley he was screaming at the top of his lungs! It's a happy scream, he smiles when doing it. But some of the looks I get make me so embarrassed! He hears other kids plus the general noise and bustle sets him off. He goes quiet once we leave the store.
    How the hell do you keep them screaming so loud!! Snacks only work for about 2 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I've a 5 month old that does this too
    i find the more attention i give her the louder she gets. i just ignore her or talk quietly back to her

and as for people looking.. i usually ask would they like to take a picture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help. My 15 month old son starting screaming around the 13 and a half month mark. He had teeth coming in then and we put it down to that, but he still does it now and seemingly for no reason. We thought it might be an attention thing but he does it at the most bizarre times. In every other respect he has been a great baby, he slept fine, fed fine, never had issues with his bowels and we put him in his own room at around 9 months and he took to that fine too. We've really had a lucky time with him, but the screaming has become a little bit much now. He screams at full voice in the supermarket, restaurant, friends houses and screams at us while we are having our dinner. :( It's an angry scream too, we're thinking lately that he's frustrated that he can't speak yet? He chats away gibberish and only really has mama, dada, ta-ta and a version of 'look' as recognised words.

We tried ignoring him, but he screamed so hard we were afraid he'd go hoarse, so we tried talking too him, distracting him etc. Nothing worked! It really is bothering my partner as she's almost afraid having to bring him shopping with her now. We're not a noisy house, and myself and my partner would never scream at each other. His big sister is quite loud though, but tries not to be loud around him.

It really is baffling, particularly as he can spend a lot of time entertaining himself too, he'd play away so quietly you'd have to keep an eye on him to know what he's up to :o

Any ideas?

Its like your describing my child down to a tee.

I have bad news :D. Mine is still going at 2 1/2. It started when she couldnt say what she wanted but its like she just got used to it and even though she can say lots of words she still screams.

I absolutely hate when in public and other people act as if kids shouldnt be doing it or there is something wrong with the adults because there kids are noisy. All part of being a child i say. if you think they are bad at 1 1/2 just wait until they hit 2. Screaming is the least of your worries. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I think he just loves the echo and the sound he can make in Tesco. It's funny because its like a tap how he just stops once we leave the store!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Thanks for the replies. Luckily he has calmed down a small bit, it seems to be just one day a week now that for whatever reason he screams at us!! Talking to him helps when he's walking around or playing but it has no effect when he's strapped up in a car chair / high chair / buggy etc. Seems to be frustration all right! :o

Advertisement