Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leather Couch issue??

Options
  • 23-08-2012 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

We bought a new (mock) leather recliner suite back in March and since then I have been in and out of the dermatologist with what a biopsy confirmed was eczema!! (never had any skin problems/sensitive skin etc prior). I was breaking out in very bad red raw itchy rashes on the base of my back, my elbows and shoulder blades.
    She did allergy blood tests and allergy patch tests and the only think that showed up was nickel!! We were baffled!
    So my mil sent us a news artical from a few years ago about couches being recalled due to a banned chemical in them that was burning the owners and cause bad skin rashes.
    So I decided to cover my couch for a week and I cleared up completly!! Then I uncovered it again for a week and was red raw again! I did this week on and week off for a month and the same thing happened every time!
    (I should also add my husband has the same prickly rash on his elbows but not as bad as mine)
    Have been in to where we bought it to find manufacturer details but they kept saying they didn't know, and they'd find out and ring me back - never happened!!! They also said they've sold lots of this couch and I'm the only one that's mentioned any problems?
    We sent a piece of the couch to hong kong to be tested for said chemical and it's come back clear so what do I do now???
    I just find it hard to believe that both myself and my husband have developed the same allergy at the same time? Surely it must be the couch??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Get on to a Solicitor - preferably no foul no fee - should be a simple issue under the liability for defective products act. Obviously the recliner will come under the Sale of Goods Act 1893 as amended by the SOGASOS Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

traleespud wrote: »
    We bought a new (mock) leather recliner suite back in March and since then I have been in and out of the dermatologist with what a biopsy confirmed was eczema!! (never had any skin problems/sensitive skin etc prior). I was breaking out in very bad red raw itchy rashes on the base of my back, my elbows and shoulder blades.
    She did allergy blood tests and allergy patch tests and the only think that showed up was nickel!! We were baffled!
    So my mil sent us a news artical from a few years ago about couches being recalled due to a banned chemical in them that was burning the owners and cause bad skin rashes.
    So I decided to cover my couch for a week and I cleared up completly!! Then I uncovered it again for a week and was red raw again! I did this week on and week off for a month and the same thing happened every time!
    (I should also add my husband has the same prickly rash on his elbows but not as bad as mine)
    Have been in to where we bought it to find manufacturer details but they kept saying they didn't know, and they'd find out and ring me back - never happened!!! They also said they've sold lots of this couch and I'm the only one that's mentioned any problems?
    We sent a piece of the couch to hong kong to be tested for said chemical and it's come back clear so what do I do now???
    I just find it hard to believe that both myself and my husband have developed the same allergy at the same time? Surely it must be the couch??

Did you send the sample yourself to be tested or did you rely on the shop where you bought it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Did you send the sample yourself to be tested or did you rely on the shop where you bought it ?[/Quote]

No we sent it off ourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

traleespud wrote: »
    Did you send the sample yourself to be tested or did you rely on the shop where you bought it ?

No we sent it off ourself?[/QUOTE]

I think then I would go and show them the findings and give them 1 chance to resolve or litigate. If they have any brains they should sort it out for you. Hope you get a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Hi Traleespud,

Hopefully you might have excluded other factors i.e. washing powder / fabric softener. (I cant use biological washing powders as they turn me into a gigantic flaky person). Anyway - you know what is what in that area. In the meantime:

there were a number of cases of "toxic sofas" in the UK a while back - these were leather ones though.

a couple of links from BBC
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2008/10/itchy_sofa_update.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8644156.stm

The watchdog link shows the name of the original company that the various UK companies imported the sofas from. Don't know whether your supplier imported from the same company. it might be worth checking out.

Have a google for "Toxic Sofa" on the Google.co.uk website - I am sure there will be some useful advice that may also be applied to over here. (I know laws are different here, so I wont venture to recommend a course of legal action).

Hope this is of some use to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement