Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ll cool j breaks burglers jaw

• 23-08-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Fair play to him. Said did it to protect his family. It's on sky news website now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Ladies love cool james....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Mama Said Knock You Out, he should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Link: http://news.sky.com/story/975995/ll-cool-j-breaks-burglars-nose-and-jaw

LL Cool J has beaten up a suspected burglar who he caught inside his LA mansion, according to reports.

The rapper-turned-actor, whose songs include Mama Said Knock You Out, broke the man's nose and jaw in what Los Angeles' police called a "knock-down, drag-out" fight, the LA Times said.

He is said to have detained the battered and bruised suspect, Jonathan Kirby, 56, who has a record of previous thefts, by the time police arrived in the early hours of Wednesday.
    LL Cool J The star, 44, was not hurt

The 44-year-old star, who plays a special agent in US show NCIS Los Angeles, told officers he had gone to investigate a noise in the kitchen when the man came at him and they began fighting.

LL Cool J, who was not injured, told police he was concerned for the safety of his family, the LA Times said.

His spokesman was quoted as saying: "LL Cool J, and his family, are safe and thank everyone for their thoughts and concern.

"As a father, husband and citizen, he is committed to keeping his family safe and is co-operating with authorities on this private matter."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Lollers wrote: »
    Mama Said Know You Out, he should have.

Knock?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Fair enough it was to protect his family.....but also some small part of his motivation must have been just for the craic and to vent and to smash someone up.

Theres times we'd all like to catch a burglar ...hurray -free gbh time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

smae thing anybody would do to protect his family. i would do more if it called for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

He defended his home and opposed any possible risk to his family.
    I don't have a problem with that.

He was well within his rights to do that, the man intruded on his home and family and he used reasonable force to stop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If somebody breaks into your home then they deserve everything they get.

No sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

He's lucky it wasn't in Ireland or the burglar would sue him and leave him broke or in prison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

While I'm happy he did the right thing (IMO)... why is this news?
    I don't mean posting it in AH but why the Hell did Sky consider "man does the right thing" to be news?

Surely this happens so often or is just because he's a rapper and famous?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

If somebody breaks into your home then they deserve everything they get.

No sympathy.

Even if you imprison them in your dungeon and set the gimp on them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

He defended himself and his family, and he didn't seem to go over board either. So fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Fair play to him. Would try to do the same myself in the same situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Not the first gaff I'd be trying to rob to be honest.

The arms on the b*stard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm just waiting for the inevitable post where someone complains for him being overly violent with the burger and then BAM...we are back to the old debate on what should v shouldn't you be allowed to do

Careful everyone....they are just waiting to pounce....<splashthecash looks around while hitting post reply>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I was trying to figure what the "burgers law" was and how exactly one would break this law. I am not a smart man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Caveman1 wrote: »
    He's lucky it wasn't in Ireland or the burglar would sue him and leave him broke or in prison

Wrong.. The law has changed in Ireland now where you can use reasonable force to defend your family and property, that reasonable force may result in death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Rigol wrote: »
    Even if you imprison them in your dungeon and set the gimp on them ?

Sure, if that's your thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The PC brigade will probably say that Mr. Kirby is the victim here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

juan.kerr wrote: »
    The PC brigade will probably say that Mr. Kirby is the victim here.

Don't say PC brigade man!!! I said it before and now the PC brigade are harassing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

if some lowlife tried to steal any of my or my familie's burgers,I pity the fool,thars all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I wonder how it was so easy for the robber to gain access. I would have thought that someone like him would have better security?

Either way, fair play to him. Protect your own at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Surely this happens so often or is just because he's a rapper and famous?

It is because he's a rapper and and famous, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Knock?

Who's there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Should have broken his neck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I very much doubt anybody will come on here and sympathize with the burglar. He got exactly what he deserved - clear as day. Even the most one-eyed hand-wringing whinebag can see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Burglars are straight up wack. My homeboy LL should have popped a cap in his ass. You feel me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Burglars are straight up wack. My homeboy LL should have popped a cap in his ass. You feel me?

*cringe*

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

kfallon wrote: »
    Should have broken his neck

then hed be up for murder,a beating was what the guy got and thankfully it didnt come to that.common sense prevailed fortunately..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

mauzo wrote: »
    *cringe*
    Don't player hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

most Americans would have killed the intruder.

And why is this news? because he's a celebrity? How many other people get their house broken into in America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Something about this story seems off. As others have pointed out most Americans would probably shoot a home invader ...certainly not engage them in a brawl.

No, I reckon "the burglar" was in fact some bloke that LL caught in the act of schtupping his missus.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Considering LL Cool J is huge and was completely injury free after while the other dude was 56 with a broken nose and jaw I think "knock down drag out fight" does not give an accurate reflection of events. I'd say complete hiding would be better. Still he broke into the mans house, it's completely his own doing.

mackg wrote: »
    Considering LL Cool J is huge and was completely injury free after while the other dude was 56 with a broken nose and jaw I think "knock down drag out fight" does not give an accurate reflection of events. I'd say complete hiding would be better. Still he broke into the mans house, it's completely his own doing.

Considering LL Cool J could do such to him, leave him alive and suffering not much more - and LL Cool J could walk away uninjured, I would say the thief was very lucky.
    He will live to steal another day!

"Complete hiding" to me, if I read that in a newspaper could give me the image that the thief was seriously injured all over.
    I don't think he was - but open to be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Think bout it folks
    WHAT WOULD JESUS DO??

He'd kick **** into burglar aswell !!

Biggins wrote: »
    Considering LL Cool J could do such to him, leave him alive and suffering not much more - and LL Cool J could walk away uninjured, I would say the thief was very lucky.
    He will live to steal another day!

"Complete hiding" to me, if I read that in a newspaper could give me the image that the thief was seriously injured all over.
    I don't think he was - but open to be wrong.

Complete hiding = one sided fight, saying that probably means different things to different people. Doubt it's in the dictionary tbf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm just waiting for the inevitable post where someone complains for him being overly violent with the burger and then BAM...we are back to the old debate on what should v shouldn't you be allowed to do
    garv123 wrote: »
    Wrong.. The law has changed in Ireland now where you can use reasonable force to defend your family and property, that reasonable force may result in death.
    then hed be up for murder,a beating was what the guy got and thankfully it didnt come to that.common sense prevailed fortunately..

Burglar got off lightly. California allows deadly force.

Section 198.5: Exusable homicide.
    Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury within his or her residence shall be presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that force is used against another person, not a member of the family or household, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using the force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.

mackg wrote: »
    Complete hiding = one sided fight, saying that probably means different things to different people. Doubt it's in the dictionary tbf!

To be fair, a fight might be one-sided but that don't mean that the other person automatically has gotten battered black and blue because it might be so.
    A fight can be one-sided and the opposition just be restrained mostly - as in this case apparently.

If the fight was one-sided then in that case, if LL Cool J was capable of doing that, the thief did indeed get off light. If LL Cool J was able to put up a one-sided fight easily and not kill the man or seriously do further harm, LL Cool J showed further restraint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Caveman1 wrote: »
    the sueing will probably still happen,america is the worlds compensation capital.
    am sensing in the not to distant future a claim for SSI from this...chap [SSI=americas means tested benefit for people who cannot work through disability].

good on cool j,he is in a country which has easy access to guns how was he supposed to know the guy was unarmed or not when his intrusion no doubt triggered a accute fight or flight reaction in cool j?

just as well he isnt in europe though as we all know what woud happen in our countries,the UK farmer;tony martin is one such high profile example-several scally lads with a big criminal record breaking into his farm house were injured [one fataly] and tony ended up jailed for it,he thought they were armed and it was pitch black where tony came across them.
    it ruined his life,he has hitman contracts hanging over him from the family of the thieving toerag who broke into his place,and the non dead one tried to sue for his injuries but he was caught doing what he said he coudnt,awful families from both of them.

anyhow,people shoud always do whats necessary to protect themselves and it is ridiculous that the law expects people in a house to be able to rationaly react as normal allowing the intruder to react first as to know how much force to apply back.they need to get real and realise the victim will be in fight or flight mode plus not be rationaly thinking which will affect ability to compare and adjust force.
    just get the fcker out the house any means possible,screw this BS of making the home owner feel unsafe in their own home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

The rapper-turned-actor, whose songs include Mama Said Knock You Out, broke the man's nose and jaw in what Los Angeles' police called a "knock-down, drag-out" fight, the LA Times said.

He is said to have detained the battered and bruised suspect, Jonathan Kirby, 56, who has a record of previous thefts, by the time police arrived in the early hours of Wednesday.
    LL Cool J The star, 44, was not hurt

The 44-year-old star, who plays a special agent in US show NCIS Los Angeles, told officers he had gone to investigate a noise in the kitchen when the man came at him and they began fighting.

In all honesty here, just breaking his jaw and nose shows an incredible amount of restraint. Some would be tempted to kick him in the ribs when he's down to further disable him.

Also, I don't know if there was no way out of the kitchen or if it was pure surprise, but if a seasoned burglar doesn't cut and run when someone walks in on them, then who knows what else they would do. Especially if they have the money he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Awesome. Love the almost droll delivery of "Blah blah blah, broken nose and jaw, knock down drag out fight, blah blah blah detained battered and bruised suspect" and then "LL Cool J The star, 44, was not hurt", just to really put salt in the wound. :D

Biggins wrote: »
    To be fair, a fight might be one-sided but that don't mean that the other person automatically has gotten battered black and blue because it might be so.
    A fight can be one-sided and the opposition just be restrained mostly - as in this case apparently.

If the fight was one-sided then in that case, if LL Cool J was capable of doing that, the thief did indeed get off light. If LL Cool J was able to put up a one-sided fight easily and not kill the man or seriously do further harm, LL Cool J showed further restraint?

A broken nose and jaw is a fairly bad doing in my book, no question it could be a lot worse and LL showed restraint. That's the best I can do as a response I'm afraid as I'm finding that post a little hard to understand.

Advertisement