Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with neighbours

Options
  • 23-08-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey new here. Was wondering has anyone any suggestions on what I can do.

I own my house and almost two years ago a couple moved in next door to a rented house. Shortly after their English bull terrier started to attack our fence every time we tried to eat outside or even walked out to get the washing. This in return would cause my own dog to fight back-as dogs do. I’m aware that the poor dog was only protecting his new home. But I thought he was going to come through the fence as it is only wooden so after much reluctance to knock in, I did, to please ask can they control the dog in some way as we leave our dog inside so that they don’t fight. But to please not pen up the dog as I wouldn’t pen up my own dog, it’s cruel. (I also didn’t want my property damaged by a dog) so that was that and they penned the dog up not much I could do. We remained on speaking terms.
    We told them then that we were going to be getting an extension to warn them there maybe noise. We did most the work ourselves and always finish before 8pm as they had a new baby and a toddler. 90% of the time they don’t arrive home till after 8pm so they would hardly hear any noise. But they knocked in to ask us to be quite to which we apologised and stopped. But then after that they continued to keep on knocking on the door to which I eventually had to say we’re sorry but we never make noise after 8pm but if you keep calling in to ask me to stop the work will never end.
    So as all construction work comes to an end, it now has. Now the neighbour is paying me back with his DIY at the exact time we were asked to please not make noise as there children are trying to sleep. The very children you see ruining around the garden at the time they claim the children are in bed.
    With his constant slamming of his van side door, banging, drilling, petrol mower and any other noise he can make plus the dog that now keeps barking as it’s penned up all day with no walks. I finally had to go in and please ask him to control the dog as it barks constantly and mine doesn’t and I don’t wish to listen to his. With which he told his wife not to be speaking to me as he would knock me out.
    With their constant noise, which it seems he’s only allowed to make and I’ve to live in a closed off box with all windows and doors closed to block out the sound. I don’t know what to do. I don’t understand why he thinks it’s ok to make noise at the time he expects me to be quite. Any suggestions at all to what I can do. So sorry for such a long post.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:

Moved from After hours.

Posters please be aware that this is now in accommodation and property. Please read the charter here before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Report him to his landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nrtr

have reported him to the landlord. and apparently they have reported me to her already and and she said she told him shes not getting involved. it seems it the keep the house in some sort of clean state and pay her thats all she wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

If it was me I'd be as loud and annoying as possible. A practical solution would be to build a brick wall along the garden just inside you property but warn them that the fence may not be torn down because they would encroach on your land. The wall would look nice I've one. Just plant trees and pit ivy on the wall. Also the leaves from the tree will fall in their garden ;) A quick solution would be to blare music in the back garden when they are trying to get to sleep they'll get the message and don't answer the door to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Remind the landlord they have no choice in getting involved. You can make a complaint to the prtb if the LL does nothing. Document the events

• Advertisement
Advertisement