Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chipping branches

• 23-08-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hope this is the right place to ask. I have a small number of trees that need to be cut. Most will be used for firewood. I am wondering what to do with all the branches that will be too small for firewood. Is chipping them the best thing to do with them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello There,

The best thing to do with the little branches depends on the type of trees they are.

If they are hardwood, they can be chipped and are ideal for starting or boosting the fire or even mixed with coal to slow down your usage of coal.

Allow time afte cutting for the leaves / foliage die off the branches before you chip them as it fills up bags quickly and isn't much use for burning.

If they are Palms or Lime, they are not worth chipping as they will cause you too much hassle blocking the machine.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Xander_82

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Hello There,

The best thing to do with the little branches depends on the type of trees they are.

If they are hardwood, they can be chipped and are ideal for starting or boosting the fire or even mixed with coal to slow down your usage of coal.

Allow time afte cutting for the leaves / foliage die off the branches before you chip them as it fills up bags quickly and isn't much use for burning.

If they are Palms or Lime, they are not worth chipping as they will cause you too much hassle blocking the machine.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Is it expensive to buy or hire a chipper? The trees are hardwoods. I have seen cheap garden mulchers- are these any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Or you could just stack them neatly butt end to one side and let them be, an ideal insect hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Xander_82 wrote: »
    Is it expensive to buy or hire a chipper? The trees are hardwoods. I have seen cheap garden mulchers- are these any use?

Its approx 180e/day to hire engine driven chipper. You would want a lot of branches to justify this expense. The small electric ones are alright for small hedge clippings but not for any volume as just too slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello Xander 82,

A mulcher effectively turns them into dust which will not burn easily.

Where are you based as i live near Tipperary and have a tractor driven one (PTO) which might suit?

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Are you near Clonmel? Have about ten horrible Leylandis to chip in Clonmel
    Chevy RV wrote: »
    Hello Xander 82,

A mulcher effectively turns them into dust which will not burn easily.

Where are you based as i live near Tipperary and have a tractor driven one (PTO) which might suit?

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Xander_82

Unfortunately I'm down in Wexford. I'll have to think of somthing else as €80 per day is too steep for me.

Advertisement