Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best price for TV and broadband?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, im not certain if this is the best place for this thread; please move if necessary.

Im moving into an apartment in Dublin and am looking for advice on where to go for cable tv and broadband?

Anyone know who offers cheapest package? perhaps a package is not the best way to go, i could get UPC box for tv and a dongle/fob for the internet from O2 maybe? do you know of any better way than this? dont want to get a landline just regular tv and broadband if possible... also i cant put a dish up on the balcony..

all suggestions and advice welcome..

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

If you are going for the upc box, you can get pretty good internet from them too.
    I know for the broadband you have to pay an installation charge of 45e , and not sure about the tv.
    UPC has 'unlimited' usage, and you can stream youtube/ netflix etc no problem. Some of the other bb providers not so good in terms of speed/ usage.
    There is a thread on bargain alerts for boards members to get a discount when signing over to upc.
    (I know upc do a deal for 42e p/m with decent bb, and a 'free' landline with 100 mins free p/m.) Mind you their customer service is either excellent or terrible, depending on what day you ring.

P.s - with 'saorview' and netflix etc, would you need the tv? We recently downsized and don't miss it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

thanks for the advice, i kinda prefer to switch the tv on and watch whatever is on... rather than search netflicks and decide on something...a bit silly perhaps but cable tv would be my preference...

i'll look for the upc deals for boardsies thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nrtr

Hey I’ve Got UPC broadband and think this is the best. Eircom has a few Megs for twice the price. And I had a dongle and found it very slow and it kept loosing connection. I’m with Sky for TV as they have frozen there price till 2013 hope this helps. So think these are cheapest with good selection of stations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

UPC broadband is the best this country has to offer by a considerable distance. Their TV service is pretty awful but it does the job once you get past how shocking the equipment is, plus if youre in an apartment chances are the only options you have are UPC or Saorview (most dont allow dishes). The bundles UPC have are fairly decent price wise.

Just bear in mind that UPC charge an extra €7 on top of the advertised price for broadband if you dont take their TV service. Although for that you get the 19 basic analogue channels as well.

• Advertisement

hi djimi,

i see upc do tv, broadband and home phone (i guess you need home phone with broadband) for 66 euro per month and order on line get 4 months at half price... can this be beaten i wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nrtr

you can have one or all services from UPC but when you dont have all 3 they do keep pushing (i no) but as far as i no you can just have broadband

djimi wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that UPC charge an extra €7 on top of the advertised price for broadband if you dont take their TV service. Although for that you get the 19 basic analogue channels as well.

do you mean UPC broadband without their tv service still comes with 19 basic analogue channels ? (sorry slightly confused)

Piriz wrote: »
    do you mean UPC broadband without their tv service still comes with 19 basic analogue channels ? (sorry slightly confused)

Yeah basically all UPC services come down the same fibre cable into your house. One they turn one of the services on they are all technically available; you just need the equipment to use them. Except the analogue TV service can be accessed by simply plugging the cable into the RF port on your TV and tuning in the channels like you did back in the day, which is why they charge extra if you dont buy a TV service. The selection isnt wonderful; Irish and UK terrestrial with a couple of other channels (Sky News and Eurosport I think), but it might do the job for you depending on what you watch.

As for the packages available Id say give them a call and see what you can get. I think my sister is paying something like €50 a month for the basic TV and broadband (which is still probably twice as fast as anything Eircom have to offer); this was not available through their website. You dont need the phone service with them; they might offer it to you and its not a bad service if you want a landline but its not essential for the other services.

€50 a month for the basic TV and broadband would be pretty good, i'll haggle for something like that,

thanks for the advice its been very helpful..

• Advertisement
Advertisement