Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout on the quay..

Options
  • 23-08-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

what's the story with all the moaning and complaining about the roundabouts that are being placed on the quay?? Over the past 2 days on deise am, all we've been hearing about is these roundabouts!!! surely they will improve things on the quay, as at present it basically a 4-lane highway???? why not wait and see the new layout, and then judge it??!!

p.s. the really good news story in waterford this week is the opening of the fantastic new museum!! lots of holidaymakers around at the moment. Let them hear about the good stuff!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Because its a ****ing mess. The contractors are slower than tarmac and at their current rate we will be lucky if its done by next summer (the one roundabout that is). It was half stated, then stopped, then started again by someone else, then slowed down, then a roundabout appeared, then it seems to have slowed down again, now they are doing a bit of line painting while the roundabout is a mix of some curb stones, bit of rubble in the middle and a few fences with a bit of tarmac around the sides. Its a bit big so its tight to get around it, especially for buses or larger cars and idiotic drivers.

Plus, to top it off, the traffic lights as you approach it are adding to the delays and thus traffic is all the way back to the Museum and sometimes further.

The plan may look good but its being implemented at such a slow pace its adding to the frustrations. Maybe if they finish it properly it MIGHT be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

How many threads is there about this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Maybe my bad judgement, but are they not more of a modified speed ramp than they are a roundabout, hence the two semi-circles , not one full 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

All Dougal and Zepadees fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The queue for city square today at 12.40 started at newtown school on the dunmore rd.
    The roudabout was chocka block all the way around, nothing moving. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

This will be a disaster around Christmas when there's queues for City Square which will block the whole roundabout and lead to major tailbacks I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

sillysocks wrote: »
    This will be a disaster around Christmas when there's queues for City Square which will block the whole roundabout and lead to major tailbacks I'd imagine.

And give people another reason to go to Kilkenny unfortunately :mad:

I was supposed to collect a dress in monsoon but i couldnt get near it. Ill have to get it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

wellboytoo wrote: »
    All Dougal and Zepadees fault.

There's nothing magic about this roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I don't understand why people are still using The Quay while this work is going on. It's obvious it's a disaster from the amount of times people have posted about it here. So, while the work is going on, why not use an alternative route? I had to go from the Dunmore Road to Ferrybank yesterday and, because of threads like this one, decided to not use The Quay. Instead, I went up through town, across Ballybricken and down Bridge Street. No bother!

We can't really judge how well this whole plan will work until it's completed so I'll reserve judgement on that until then but, in the meantime, I'll just continue to avoid The Quay.

• Advertisement

Comming from the dunmore rd to ferrybank is faster up ballybricken, but going out you get caught around john st and it can take longer, if you get a good run at it like i did today, your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Comming from the dunmore rd to ferrybank is faster up ballybricken, but going out you get caught around john st and it can take longer, if you get a good run at it like i did today, your fine.

You mean going you get caught from Ferrybank to the Dunmore Road, is it? How would you get caught around John Street? Just curious.

Before the roundabout, ferrybank to adkeen: 10 mins, go up ballybricken, 15 mins. I usually go down by newgate st, through poleberry and out by johns park. Seems to be as long to go up johns hill and past catherines grange.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

I finally went into town yesterday and can't for the life of me see the need for it! One exit is a car park, another up a narrow street! If the aim is to keep lorries away and redirect them out the ring road then why not just ban lorries from the quay, like they did in Slievekeale? Surely the few signs would cost less than that utterly useless thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I finally went into town yesterday and can't for the life of me see the need for it! One exit is a car park, another up a narrow street! If the aim is to keep lorries away and redirect them out the ring road then why not just ban lorries from the quay, like they did in Slievekeale? Surely the few signs would cost less than that utterly useless thing?

its not just about moving trucks off quay. making place more pedestrian/tourist/local friendly, better access to river, removing car parks off quay, making quay look nicer, safer etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I think that someday in the future, when we are praised for having an amazing quayside, with no carparks, with nicely lit walks along a bespoke promenade with local produce and craft for sale from many stalls and easy access to the city centre across the road that all the hassle now will be forgotten...

unfortunately at the moment, they are making such a balls of this roundabout that the above vision seems further away than ever!! They seriously need to pull the finger out, with the schools back next week, it's just going to be chaos. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Max Powers wrote: »

its not just about moving trucks off quay. making place more pedestrian/tourist/local friendly, better access to river, removing car parks off quay, making quay look nicer, safer etc

They could do all that without roundabouts!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I really don't understand why there is another hold up? I cant seem to see any work being done bar the line painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

I just don't understand why they are allowing a right hand turn for city square car park from the Clock Tower side. Surley the best thing to do is force traffic for City Square to use the R/A and come back up the quay and turn left into the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bards wrote: »
    I just don't understand why they are allowing a right hand turn for city square car park from the Clock Tower side. Surley the best thing to do is force traffic for City Square to use the R/A and come back up the quay and turn left into the car park?

Pretty sure thats the overall plan. Just wont be done until the roundabout is finished and the median going down to gladstone street is being put together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Bards wrote: »

I think the plan is to have trees or shrubbery or something down the median strip when it's all said and done.

edit: oops sorry, missed chinholios post. Yeah, what he said!

Good idea but not when you have jaywalkers jumping out from between trees like the crossing at the cancer charity shop.

any update on these works? im all for the planned central median down the quay, one lane in places and that but it looks rubbish at the moment.roundabout unfinsihed (ideal place for something interesting to look at) road markings all over the place, crowd barriers outside the GPO, doesnt look great, who thinks it will be kicked off again, just in time for the summer tourist season?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Ahh no .. Council are more likely to start it up again on a practical day .. Like the first school/work day after Easter :)
    sure be no traffic on the roads then .. Maybe paddys weekend even ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

In the words of Comic Book Guy, Worst roundabout EVER!

i think most people are in favour of a safer, better parking quays but, the state of the abandoned site roundabout is a bit of a mess, anyone know if they gonna make it look decent any time soon? are they gonna start the rest of it anytime soon? A central median as I heard happening would be a great addition. The other day I saw a person doing a U-turn in busy traffic even though there was a roundabout to turn safely about 100m from where they done the U-turn.
    Do they still have the money?

( i know company doing it went bust but that was about 6 months ago at this stage)

Surely tidying up the roundabout would be a good start.

Advertisement