Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Oh God, not a 1st year student thread" thread

• 23-08-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey everyone!

Anyone else excited and nervous starting their course?

Got all things in order (accommodation, funding, etc) and Im ready to rock! I should be moving to Galway first week of September.

How is everyone else doings?

Any recommendations or tips from the 2-4 year student for the first day of classes?

Anyways, see everyone on the 6th!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Welcome!

First week or two is all about settling in, getting to know places around the campus, getting used to your timetable and meeting new people. Nothing too stressful. Lecturers will ease you into lectures for the first few days and you can enjoy the social aspect of college more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

We first years seem to be a rare breed around here. Im excited to be going to college here.

What course is everyone doing?
    I'm doing Computing in Software Development, which I'm looking forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

i'll be doing event management... but wonder does it matter if I don't make orientation, won't be in the country? Been to GMIT before so I know the place pretty well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

Any idea when we start? All I got is the depressing letter about Fees and paying them... The one that bodes ill for the wallet :P
    Looking forward to this! (Forensic science, anyone else doing that?).

ENMcD wrote: »
    i'll be doing event management... but wonder does it matter if I don't make orientation, won't be in the country? Been to GMIT before so I know the place pretty well!
    Part of the orientation is registration so it'd be important but everything else isn't as important. I'd ring up beforehand and find out.
    infodox wrote: »
    Any idea when we start? All I got is the depressing letter about Fees and paying them... The one that bodes ill for the wallet :P
    Looking forward to this! (Forensic science, anyone else doing that?).
    6th if you're a 1st year or 12th if you're in a higher year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Densino

Hears6 wrote: »
    We first years seem to be a rare breed around here. Im excited to be going to college here.

What course is everyone doing?
    I'm doing Computing in Software Development, which I'm looking forward to.

Ditto:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

I'll be doing Applied Biology + Biopharmaceutical Science :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KatieMeath

Culinary Arts anyone? Where about are yee all staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

Business in computer applications in Castlebar as a mature student here.

Has anybody received any information with regards to registration etc. The college told me it should have been out by the end of last week but still nothing and can't get through today. Need it to apply for back to education allowance and for a student loan to cover fees (grant applications turned down!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

KatieMeath wrote: »

I'm staying in Cúirt Na Rásaí, i'm guessing from your username you're from Meath, me too! :D

• Advertisement

I'm doing Software Development and I'm living in Glasan :)

Think I'm moving up on the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 25 red_poppy

Accepted my offer for Applied biology and bio-pharmaceutical science the other day but I'm wondering has anyone else received their registration pack yet??? Need it to show the social welfare that I've been accepted for the btea application and also will be moving to Galway the weekend so won't be at my current address to get it next week. Hope I get it by the end of the week :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭redmosquito85

red_poppy wrote: »
    Accepted my offer for Applied biology and bio-pharmaceutical science the other day but I'm wondering has anyone else received their registration pack yet??? Need it to show the social welfare that I've been accepted for the btea application and also will be moving to Galway the weekend so won't be at my current address to get it next week. Hope I get it by the end of the week :confused:

I was talking to someone from the college in castlebar today and they said they were waiting on round 2 offers so packs would be sent out next Monday, that was for castlebar so not 100% sure if it applies to the Galway campus but there's a chance it is, maybe give them a call tomorrow and find out. I accepted in round 0 so have been waiting a while!

Awh noway me too :D woo go meath haha

I was talking to someone from the college in castlebar today and they said they were waiting on round 2 offers so packs would be sent out next Monday, that was for castlebar so not 100% sure if it applies to the Galway campus but there's a chance it is, maybe give them a call tomorrow and find out. I accepted in round 0 so have been waiting a while!

Yeah I will get on to them tomorrow again. I was on to them the other day, was put through to admissions and then had to leave a message on answering machine, they never got back to me surprise surprise. I mean it would be a bit late sending them out next week considering induction day is Wednesday or Thursday I believe. I definitely won't be at home to receive it then and I presume everything in that registration pack is needed for induction.

I'm in the exact same situation, waiting on the letter...and moving up this weekend.:rolleyes:

Densino wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation, waiting on the letter...and moving up this weekend.:rolleyes:

It's so annoying..surely they realise that people will be moved to Galway away from their home address coming this close to the start of college..ah well what can be done I suppose. Looks like I'll have to take a trip home at the start of next week if it doesn't come by friday:rolleyes:

It's so annoying..surely they realise that people will be moved to Galway away from their home address coming this close to the start of college..ah well what can be done I suppose. Looks like I'll have to take a trip home at the start of next week if it doesn't come by friday:rolleyes:

But surely the registration packs have to be out this week?!!
    Online registration is on monday isn't it?

..and if people don't look for that kind of info online, they would have no idea!

I've already dropped my application in, but they're waiting on a letter from me from GMIT.

Moving up to Glasan on sat and I wasn't planing on coming home until next weekend:mad:

But surely the registration packs have to be out this week?!!
    Online registration is on monday isn't it?

..and if people don't look for that kind of info online, they would have no idea!

I've already dropped my application in, but they're waiting on a letter from me from GMIT.

Moving up to Glasan on sat and I wasn't planing on coming home until next weekend:mad:

Yeah you'd imagine so. I might be jumping the gun..it will probably arrive tomorrow in the post after all the panic:D

Yeah I have my application in too and same as they rang me asking to get a letter from college showing I have been accepted but they weren't really putting pressure on me for it or anything. It's just the case I'd rather get the processing of the payments asap so be handy to get it sorted out with them this week..done and dusted.

Moving up myself Saturday too.. renting in Lurgan Park with few other girls :)

Yeah you'd imagine so. I might be jumping the gun..it will probably arrive tomorrow in the post after all the panic:D

Yeah I have my application in too and same as they rang me asking to get a letter from college showing I have been accepted but they weren't really putting pressure on me for it or anything. It's just the case I'd rather get the processing of the payments asap so be handy to get it sorted out with them this week..done and dusted.

Moving up myself Saturday too.. renting in Lurgan Park with few other girls :)

Ah I had intended on getting a room in a house, I wasn't to keen on Student accommodation. But I'm moving up by myself and I don't know anyone at all...so I thought it would be handier to get Glasan.

But I've heard rumours that i'm living with repeat first years that are a bit party mad. Don't know yet if I'm too keen on that:cool:

I actually want to pass my exams next year lol

• Advertisement

Ah I had intended on getting a room in a house, I wasn't to keen on Student accommodation. But I'm moving up by myself and I don't know anyone at all...so I thought it would be handier to get Glasan.

But I've heard rumours that i'm living with repeat first years that are a bit party mad. Don't know yet if I'm too keen on that:cool:

I actually want to pass my exams next year lol

I was actually going to get student accommodation at first but I ended up getting in contact with another girl and then we found a couple others. One repeat first year, another first year, and a second year, and it just works out handier for me financially because I have some fees to pay as I did 1 semester at a level 8 before.

I was actually going to get student accommodation at first but I ended up getting in contact with another girl and then we found a couple others. One repeat first year, another first year, and a second year, and it just works out handier for me financially because I have some fees to pay as I did 1 semester at a level 8 before.

Ha, same.. I did half a year doing a level 8 in NUIG.

I think I've to pay 3,000 altogether for contribution/tuition.
    Bit of a nightmare really...
    It's gona be an expensive year:(

I was going to try get part time work in one of the nightclubs but sure with the Beta allowance you can't work or else it gets cut

Ha, same.. I did half a year doing a level 8 in NUIG.

I think I've to pay 3,000 altogether for contribution/tuition.
    Bit of a nightmare really...
    It's gona be an expensive year:(

I was going to try get part time work in one of the nightclubs but sure with the Beta allowance you can't work or else it gets cut

Yeah I'm in same position. It was all grand first time round when ya didn't have to pay a thing..all for one fecking semester:mad: haha

Was going to get part time work myself to keep me going..I thought you could actually work so much without your payment being affected:confused:

Does Glasan work out expensive? Heard it's mad all right over there but good for first years.

Yeah I'm in same position. It was all grand first time round when ya didn't have to pay a thing..all for one fecking semester:mad: haha

Was going to get part time work myself to keep me going..I thought you could actually work so much without your payment being affected:confused:

Does Glasan work out expensive? Heard it's mad all right over there but good for first years.

I'm not sure how it works out, but a friend told me that you can't work and get the beta at the same time. I might actually ask about that whenever i'm dropping down the letter.

I'm paying glasan with the payment plan, instead of paying two installments I pay 580 a month Sept-Jan. Works out as 55 euro a week, so its cheap enough.:D

Ya Glasan is handy for how close it is, but I would've rathered live in a house with strangers...the lads i'm living with all know each other as far as I know.

Still, looking forward to getting back to college...

I'm paying the contribution fee in two installments aswell, instead of all in one :D

I'm not sure how it works out, but a friend told me that you can't work and get the beta at the same time. I might actually ask about that whenever i'm dropping down the letter.

I'm paying glasan with the payment plan, instead of paying two installments I pay 580 a month Sept-Jan. Works out as 55 euro a week, so its cheap enough.:D

Ya Glasan is handy for how close it is, but I would've rathered live in a house with strangers...the lads i'm living with all know each other as far as I know.

Still, looking forward to getting back to college...

I'm paying the contribution fee in two installments aswell, instead of all in one :D
    I'm almost 100 percent sure you can work part time too whilst on btea so good news for us.

I'm paying 60 a week.. not too bad and sure its only like 5min walk too. All of us girls didn't know each other before we met so it's pretty good. Planning on having a house warming too:D

I'm gonna pay in two instalments too.. takes the pressure off some what :)

Are you doing a level 8?

I'm almost 100 percent sure you can work part time too whilst on btea so good news for us.

I'm paying 60 a week.. not too bad and sure its only like 5min walk too. All of us girls didn't know each other before we met so it's pretty good. Planning on having a house warming too:D

Are you doing a level 8?

60 isn't bad at all, especially for a rented house
    House warming eh?:D Must listen around for that !

I got offered Level 8 accounting and level 7 software development...accepted level 7 because i'd be more interested in that course.
    :D

I've heard the Accounting is a bit of a pain aswell....

60 isn't bad at all, especially for a rented house
    House warming eh?:D Must listen around for that !

I got offered Level 8 accounting and level 7 software development...accepted level 7 because i'd be more interested in that course.
    :D

I've heard the Accounting is a bit of a pain aswell....

Haha I got offered Medical Science level 8 and Applied Biology and
    Biopharmaceutical science level 7 but ended up taking the level 7 but i'll end up doing the add on for the level 8 anyway. It was a hard decision in the end because I was kind of equally interested in both but went with my gut feeling on this one.

Hang on you do realise you have no tuition fees to pay if that's the case because if you did a level 8 before and now are doing a level 7 you're not liable for tuition fees. It's only if you were going into a level 8 you would have to pay 1 semester tuition fees. Thats why choosing the level 7 option had that added bonus of less fees for me..just the registration fee :)

Haha I got offered Medical Science level 8 and Applied Biology and
    Biopharmaceutical science level 7 but ended up taking the level 7 but i'll end up doing the add on for the level 8 anyway. It was a hard decision in the end because I was kind of equally interested in both but went with my gut feeling on this one.

Hang on you do realise you have no tuition fees to pay if that's the case because if you did a level 8 before and now are doing a level 7 you're not liable for tuition fees. It's only if you were going into a level 8 you would have to pay 1 semester tuition fees. Thats why choosing the level 7 option had that added bonus of less fees for me..just the registration fee :)

ya i'll probably go the same route and do the 4th year add on..
    I'm going to ring about the beta tomorrow and working..
    If I can do part time work then I might actually leave my cv's around on the weekend.
    Would be really handy to get something before christmas

Oh really??? Jaysus thats great:D 700 odd quid less to worry about so...
    If only someone would pay my contribution fee for me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Dathi Horizon

Yup first year Culinary Arts :D

• Advertisement

Registration pack still not arrived in the post:( Been trying to get through to college all morning but keep getting answering machines..does anyone know the extension number for admissions?? Because I keep being put through to different numbers:rolleyes:

Put 091 before these if you're outside of Galway
    Admissions 742305/742262
    Registration 742084/742220

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pizza_saur_rex

Off the GMIT website:

New Students
    Incoming first year students are required to register on-line and then attend on campus for induction and to receive an ID card. All students will receive an induction timetable and information pack. Any student that accepts a place in CAO Round A, Round 0 and Round 1 will be issued their documentation in the week commencing Monday, 3rd September 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

Oh isnt that abit on the late side with the induction being on the 6th?

Wait, so we don't actually have to be in galway until the 6th?? you can do all the reg online?

I re-registered yesterday and you can pay online so it's possible to have all the payments covered. Doubt you'd need to come to GMIT before the 6th unless you're moving in. I do sympathize with ye about how late GMIT leave stuff like this. Even for non-freshers I've heard nothing in regards to when we'll be able to apply for parking permits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I re-registered yesterday and you can pay online so it's possible to have all the payments covered. Doubt you'd need to come to GMIT before the 6th unless you're moving in. I do sympathize with ye about how late GMIT leave stuff like this. Even for non-freshers I've heard nothing in regards to when we'll be able to apply for parking permits.

I got an email in my g00 account saying something about the contract being re-tendered so I doubt they even know themselves!

im moving into Tir Na gCapall (I wonder what that translate to?) on tuesday and induction is on the thursday. Hopefully there will be enough inbetween time to get my stuff organized.

Questions

Anyone else moving into Tir Na gCapall ?

Also, I probably wont be getting my registration packet because Im moving over from Louth and my address that is registered with the college is the Louth one so I was wondering would I be able to go somewhere in the college to receive my student number, etc, to register online?

In addition, I need a letter stating I am registered with the college to transfer to BTEA. Once registered, would I be able to print that off online or do I need to go to one the offices in the college (if so, which one).

Thanks people for your help!

Yup first year Culinary Arts :D

where are ya staying ? :)

Off the GMIT website:

New Students
    Incoming first year students are required to register on-line and then attend on campus for induction and to receive an ID card. All students will receive an induction timetable and information pack. Any student that accepts a place in CAO Round A, Round 0 and Round 1 will be issued their documentation in the week commencing Monday, 3rd September 2012.

Oh great, looks like I'll have to be taking a trip home next week if I'm moving in this weekend. That's ridiculously late to be sending the packs out then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Dathi Horizon

where are ya staying ? :)

Tir na gCapall :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

bit confused here
    can 1st years register online?
    "On-line registration will open to New CAO Students from Monday 3rd September 2012"
    got that from the site :P

deccydohc wrote: »
    bit confused here
    can 1st years register online?
    "On-line registration will open to New CAO Students from Monday 3rd September 2012"
    got that from the site :P

Yes they can.
    I'm not moving up until next wednesday (Glasan), although I'm getting driven up this weekend with my stuff so i'll be up for an hour or two..

So I'm registering online on Monday:D

im moving into Tir Na gCapall (I wonder what that translate to?) on tuesday and induction is on the thursday. Hopefully there will be enough inbetween time to get my stuff organized.

Questions

Anyone else moving into Tir Na gCapall ?

Also, I probably wont be getting my registration packet because Im moving over from Louth and my address that is registered with the college is the Louth one so I was wondering would I be able to go somewhere in the college to receive my student number, etc, to register online?

In addition, I need a letter stating I am registered with the college to transfer to BTEA. Once registered, would I be able to print that off online or do I need to go to one the offices in the college (if so, which one).

Thanks people for your help!

I'm pretty sure the welcome letter in the registration pack will do for that.
    I'm in the same boat and that's the letter i'm waiting on from the college

Yes they can.
    I'm not moving up until next wednesday (Glasan), although I'm getting driven up this weekend with my stuff so i'll be up for an hour or two..

So I'm registering online on Monday:D

can we register now or wait until monday?
    Dont know what im doing, think glasan want the 1st term payment tomorrow or this weekend so think i got to go up and pay that
    dont know to stay about until tuesday which is my first day or not :P

can we register now or wait until monday?
    Dont know what im doing, think glasan want the 1st term payment tomorrow or this weekend so think i got to go up and pay that
    dont know to stay about until tuesday which is my first day or not :P

Online registration opens on monday so I don't think you necessarily have to do it ON monday but it'll probably be best to do so.

Yes the main reason I'm going up on Sat is to pay Glasan, and leave in my lease.
    I presume they'll give me my key card there and then, but i'll still be going home that afternoon... I've a birthday to go too..mine:D

still haven't gotten my lease, hope its coming, been allocated a room so its all good hopfully :D
    you living with friends or randomers in glasan??
    haha nice one!!! :)

still haven't gotten my lease, hope its coming, been allocated a room so its all good hopfully :D
    you living with friends or randomers in glasan??
    haha nice one!!! :)

Do you get like an info pack from glasan with your house number etc in it?
    The lease was in with that...you just need to sign it and get your parents to sign it.

Unfortunatly i'm living with randomers, and I do not know a single person in Galway :rolleyes: What about you?

Do you get like an info pack from glasan with your house number etc in it?
    The lease was in with that...you just need to sign it and get your parents to sign it.

Unfortunatly i'm living with randomers, and I do not know a single person in Galway :rolleyes: What about you?

I've gotten nothing, rang today to confirm I've a place to stay just haha
    ahh living with randomers, choose to :) know a good few around glasan and good few from NUI so :)

I've gotten nothing, rang today to confirm I've a place to stay just haha
    ahh living with randomers, choose to :) know a good few around glasan and good few from NUI so :)

Ah not too bad...I used to know loads around Galway but they've all fecked off now.

Ya I got a letter from glasan on monday with the lease..

(if you're not a first year, they'd probably take longer)

and then I got an email the other day with another lease, because they one they sent out had a typo

Here is the induction time table for everyone who hasnt seen it yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement