Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Oh God, not a 1st year student thread" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Put 091 before these if you're outside of Galway
    Admissions 742305/742262
    Registration 742084/742220

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pizza_saur_rex

Off the GMIT website:

New Students
    Incoming first year students are required to register on-line and then attend on campus for induction and to receive an ID card. All students will receive an induction timetable and information pack. Any student that accepts a place in CAO Round A, Round 0 and Round 1 will be issued their documentation in the week commencing Monday, 3rd September 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

Oh isnt that abit on the late side with the induction being on the 6th?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Densino

Wait, so we don't actually have to be in galway until the 6th?? you can do all the reg online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I re-registered yesterday and you can pay online so it's possible to have all the payments covered. Doubt you'd need to come to GMIT before the 6th unless you're moving in. I do sympathize with ye about how late GMIT leave stuff like this. Even for non-freshers I've heard nothing in regards to when we'll be able to apply for parking permits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I re-registered yesterday and you can pay online so it's possible to have all the payments covered. Doubt you'd need to come to GMIT before the 6th unless you're moving in. I do sympathize with ye about how late GMIT leave stuff like this. Even for non-freshers I've heard nothing in regards to when we'll be able to apply for parking permits.

I got an email in my g00 account saying something about the contract being re-tendered so I doubt they even know themselves!

im moving into Tir Na gCapall (I wonder what that translate to?) on tuesday and induction is on the thursday. Hopefully there will be enough inbetween time to get my stuff organized.

Questions

Anyone else moving into Tir Na gCapall ?

Also, I probably wont be getting my registration packet because Im moving over from Louth and my address that is registered with the college is the Louth one so I was wondering would I be able to go somewhere in the college to receive my student number, etc, to register online?

In addition, I need a letter stating I am registered with the college to transfer to BTEA. Once registered, would I be able to print that off online or do I need to go to one the offices in the college (if so, which one).

Thanks people for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KatieMeath

Yup first year Culinary Arts :D

where are ya staying ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 red_poppy

Off the GMIT website:

New Students
    Incoming first year students are required to register on-line and then attend on campus for induction and to receive an ID card. All students will receive an induction timetable and information pack. Any student that accepts a place in CAO Round A, Round 0 and Round 1 will be issued their documentation in the week commencing Monday, 3rd September 2012.

Oh great, looks like I'll have to be taking a trip home next week if I'm moving in this weekend. That's ridiculously late to be sending the packs out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dathi Horizon

KatieMeath wrote: »
    where are ya staying ? :)

Tir na gCapall :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

bit confused here
    can 1st years register online?
    "On-line registration will open to New CAO Students from Monday 3rd September 2012"
    got that from the site :P

deccydohc wrote: »
    bit confused here
    can 1st years register online?
    "On-line registration will open to New CAO Students from Monday 3rd September 2012"
    got that from the site :P

Yes they can.
    I'm not moving up until next wednesday (Glasan), although I'm getting driven up this weekend with my stuff so i'll be up for an hour or two..

So I'm registering online on Monday:D

im moving into Tir Na gCapall (I wonder what that translate to?) on tuesday and induction is on the thursday. Hopefully there will be enough inbetween time to get my stuff organized.

Questions

Anyone else moving into Tir Na gCapall ?

Also, I probably wont be getting my registration packet because Im moving over from Louth and my address that is registered with the college is the Louth one so I was wondering would I be able to go somewhere in the college to receive my student number, etc, to register online?

In addition, I need a letter stating I am registered with the college to transfer to BTEA. Once registered, would I be able to print that off online or do I need to go to one the offices in the college (if so, which one).

Thanks people for your help!

I'm pretty sure the welcome letter in the registration pack will do for that.
    I'm in the same boat and that's the letter i'm waiting on from the college

Densino wrote: »
    Yes they can.
    I'm not moving up until next wednesday (Glasan), although I'm getting driven up this weekend with my stuff so i'll be up for an hour or two..

So I'm registering online on Monday:D

can we register now or wait until monday?
    Dont know what im doing, think glasan want the 1st term payment tomorrow or this weekend so think i got to go up and pay that
    dont know to stay about until tuesday which is my first day or not :P

can we register now or wait until monday?
    Dont know what im doing, think glasan want the 1st term payment tomorrow or this weekend so think i got to go up and pay that
    dont know to stay about until tuesday which is my first day or not :P

Online registration opens on monday so I don't think you necessarily have to do it ON monday but it'll probably be best to do so.

Yes the main reason I'm going up on Sat is to pay Glasan, and leave in my lease.
    I presume they'll give me my key card there and then, but i'll still be going home that afternoon... I've a birthday to go too..mine:D

still haven't gotten my lease, hope its coming, been allocated a room so its all good hopfully :D
    you living with friends or randomers in glasan??
    haha nice one!!! :)

still haven't gotten my lease, hope its coming, been allocated a room so its all good hopfully :D
    you living with friends or randomers in glasan??
    haha nice one!!! :)

Do you get like an info pack from glasan with your house number etc in it?
    The lease was in with that...you just need to sign it and get your parents to sign it.

Unfortunatly i'm living with randomers, and I do not know a single person in Galway :rolleyes: What about you?

Do you get like an info pack from glasan with your house number etc in it?
    The lease was in with that...you just need to sign it and get your parents to sign it.

Unfortunatly i'm living with randomers, and I do not know a single person in Galway :rolleyes: What about you?

I've gotten nothing, rang today to confirm I've a place to stay just haha
    ahh living with randomers, choose to :) know a good few around glasan and good few from NUI so :)

I've gotten nothing, rang today to confirm I've a place to stay just haha
    ahh living with randomers, choose to :) know a good few around glasan and good few from NUI so :)

Ah not too bad...I used to know loads around Galway but they've all fecked off now.

Ya I got a letter from glasan on monday with the lease..

(if you're not a first year, they'd probably take longer)

and then I got an email the other day with another lease, because they one they sent out had a typo

Here is the induction time table for everyone who hasnt seen it yet.

• Advertisement

Some of our official documentation will state Thursday 8th as the start date, please disregard this as it applies to other Schools.

http://www.gmit.ie/thehotelschool/induction-2012.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

So the two introduction days on the 6 and 7th. I still didnt get my info pack or something from gmit, did anyone else?

So the two introduction days on the 6 and 7th. I still didnt get my info pack or something from gmit, did anyone else?

Nope, still nothing.
    I'm moving up on Wednesday morning so it would want to be here soon

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

Nothing yet, I'd say it will arrive in October sometime what with our postal service!

Last time I was a first year I did not get the info package at all. I just went in on induction day and hoped for the best. At the END of the day I got it by asking... Was pretty amusing.

infodox wrote: »
    Nothing yet, I'd say it will arrive in October sometime what with our postal service!

Last time I was a first year I did not get the info package at all. I just went in on induction day and hoped for the best. At the END of the day I got it by asking... Was pretty amusing.

I feel your pain.

One would think in this day and age with our advance technology, you would receive everything electronically-- results, registration, college info, etc. Then there wouldn't be a hassle and things would go smoothly.

Its the 21st century, not the 18th.

Oh well... heres hoping the college administration catches up. RANT OVER

Anyone register online yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

How does one register? :) I accepted my cao place on the 20th of August but GMIT has not contacted me at all, no phonecall, email or letter :/ What are they at? :p

I got my info pack today. To anyone know needs to register you need the info pack for your pin number in order to register. O ya you register on gmit website:D

Got my info pack this morning :)

When It came to paying the fees, I clicked pay later, becuase i'm going to pay it in the installments..

But did anyone get a student ID number when they were done or do we have to wait till friday when we are collecting our I.D cards?

• Advertisement

Got my info pack this morning :)

When It came to paying the fees, I clicked pay later, becuase i'm going to pay it in the installments..

But did anyone get a student ID number when they were done or do we have to wait till friday when we are collecting our I.D cards?

We get the student I.D at the introduction days according to da info pack:)

Advertisement