Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about pricing

Options
  • 23-08-2012 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Tried to get my car insured with you about six weeks ago, it's a ten year old 1.3 focus with no modifications. I'm in my late 30s, male & driving since I was 18 with five years no claims.

Was quoted a whopping €918 from you.

Tried Tesco insurance & they quoted €290.

Went back to aviva my previous insurer & they quoted €270 - down €40 from last year (& €80 from their automatic quote).

I tried a couple of others & none of them quoted above €450.

Real shame. Thought you guys were going to make a difference to the industry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Well my insurance renewal is almost 400 euro more expensive than my renewal last year.

Hilarious...I didn't renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

Someone has to pay Mr. Quinn back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OU812 wrote: »
    Real shame. Thought you guys were going to make a difference to the industry.

They're Quinn Direct in disguise. What did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

Had pretty much the same issue, the boyfriend has been with the for about 5 years with a no claims bonus and they wanted about €300 more than his last policy. Ended up going for FBD who where over €250 cheaper!

I doubt they'll be sticking around for too much longer with those prices, people aren't stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

To add to the above stories, I received my renewal quote recently which came in at 730 euro. This was up 100 euro and the previous year having turned 30 and with an extra years no claims bonus I assumed it would come down some bit. Out of curiosity I went to Liberty Insurance own website, typed in my exact details and the quote came in at 420euro. Delighted and seriously miffed at the same time.
    So I rang them up with my renewal quote and the ref from the quote I had just received online and without hesitation they said they would match the quote. What bothered me was the renewal letter and its spiel about how much of a valued customer you are and how "delighted to offer you this very competitive quote". Yet as a new customer I could have gone online and got the same insurance with them for 310 euro less, so nothing for being a loyal customer for the past 7 years??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Liberty Insurance: Philip

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with the price offered for your car insurance. Any quotation we offer is based on a number of risk factors entered at the time of quotation including the car details, driver details, driving experience, address, driving convictions/claims etc. While we weren't very competitive on this occasion, our pricing is constantly under review so please do contact us again at your next renewal.

Thanks for getting in touch

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

I don't think I will be getting in touch again Philip.

It was quite obvious Liberty didn't want my business & similiar reports above.

As far as a number of factors being taken into consideration, I'm mature, experienced, drive an old non modified car, haven't a single penalty point & have never made a claim, I've never even been clamped or had a speeding or parking ticket, it just appears I'm just the incorrect gender, because every other box was ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with the price offered for your car insurance. Any quotation we offer is based on a number of risk factors entered at the time of quotation including the car details, driver details, driving experience, address, driving convictions/claims etc. While we weren't very competitive on this occasion, our pricing is constantly under review so please do contact us again at your next renewal.

Thanks for getting in touch

Philip

I'm pretty sure other insurance companies base quotes on the above too.

I was with Quinn since I turned 17, they could never be beat on price.

Got my renewal from Liberty this year and they wanted circa €900 comprehensive, I purchased for €500 elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

ft9 wrote: »

A great business model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Hi liberty, welcome to boards.
    Back in march, I posted
    bgrizzley wrote: »
    Goodbye Liberty Insurance, they have quoted me almost double any other company i've priced so far despite being with Quinn for 5 years.
    Checked them online (same details except my real name and the quote almost halved) , it seems theres a premium for being an existing Quinn customer.

Can you tell me why I was quoted almost half online? Your price was competitive when you didn't realize I was an existing customer.

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Hi liberty, welcome to boards.
    Back in march, I posted

Can you tell me why I was quoted almost half online? Your price was competitive when you didn't realize I was an existing customer.

When I was finalising my policy with my new Insurance company, I asked them why they reckon Liberty were so expensive. He said you should be changing your insurance company every year as you always get better deals as a new customer, trying to get you on board. From the horses mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

When I was finalising my policy with my new Insurance company, I asked them why they reckon Liberty were so expensive. He said you should be changing your insurance company every year as you always get better deals as a new customer, trying to get you on board. From the horses mouth.

Good advice. but there's adding on a few quid chancing they won't change, and then there's riding them sideways...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Why do people get so hung up on insurance prices? You ring, get a quote, if its too high, move on! If you go into a shop and see a t.v. a few hundred euro cheaper than The same model in another shop, do you go and complain to the higher priced telly shop? No, you just buy the cheaper one!

spodoinkle wrote: »
    Why do people get so hung up on insurance prices? You ring, get a quote, if its too high, move on! If you go into a shop and see a t.v. a few hundred euro cheaper than The same model in another shop, do you go and complain to the higher priced telly shop? No, you just buy the cheaper one!

The reason I am complaining is because I am with Quinn since I turned 17. I was happy with them, no intention of changing until I got the extraordinary quote. Maybe it's brand loyalty or something, but I'd have gladly stayed with them if they were even €50 dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well just looked at the website for a quote my renewal is costing 380.17
    just got a quote off liberty for 301.63 so if the other company does not match it il be going with liberty saving 80euro cant be bad:) shop around really pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I paid 2k for my insurance on my 2001 tdi caddy van, but it is my 1st year and its acceptable but to renew it, its only gone down to 1850 euro thought it would drop more than that, FBD quoted me 1340 for the year and I rang back liberty and the girl I was talking didn't even want to negotiate a deal with me

Is there any reason why I can't get a fully comp quote online? It only gives me the option for TPFT, which is still €80 more than what I pay axa for fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

im sticking with axa.there the quickest to sort out things and dont cause problems
    a freind of mine is with liberty.she uses her credit card for her payments.liberty has cancelled her policy due to her direct debit not going through i dont see the problem with her using her card.there quick to take the payment over the phone..i pay directly to axa in swords just go in the door and pay.no hasle no problems axa might be a bit dearer than some places but u get a far better service
    my freind should go to axa. liberty has caused her hassle.now she has to get another deposit over them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

brownacid wrote: »
    Is there any reason why I can't get a fully comp quote online? It only gives me the option for TPFT, which is still €80 more than what I pay axa for fully comp.

How much is your car worth? They only offer fully comp on cars over a certain value.

I found Liberty very competitive on price. Was second cheapest at €250 more then the cheapest. Went with liberty because of the driving other cars, free breakdown and no fee to change car (except premium difference).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Got fully comp elsewhere for what Liberty were charging for 3rd party f/t. I have a full no claims, female.40s, low risk,I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

Same experiance myself with an online quote I'm In my Mid 40's and I was quoted 1280 Euro for van insurance It was only 420 With my current insurer, Said I would try Liberty as My wifes Quote was 100 Euro cheaper with them

Becoming a board sponsor doesn't seem like the best move on Liberty's part, does it ?

Know your customers guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Shop around always take 1or 2 hours out and ring around dont just stay with a company because you always used them.
    They dont seem to bothered if they keep you or not.

Ive gone through so many now at this stage and never once claimed but premiums would increase big time for no reason.

Started in 2004 1ltr 94 micra non mod for €3500 full licence and cheapest I could get even shopping around most wouldnt even quote because of my age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

OU812 wrote: »
    Becoming a board sponsor doesn't seem like the best move on Liberty's part, does it ?

Know your customers guys.

You're obviously going to get people complaining. I don't understand it. Insurance is just a game. Spend an hour each year ringing around and go with the best value. You're not forced to renew.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    How much is your car worth? They only offer fully comp on cars over a certain value.

I found Liberty very competitive on price. Was second cheapest at €250 more then the cheapest. Went with liberty because of the driving other cars, free breakdown and no fee to change car (except premium difference).

Its a 2003 fiesta, so I had the value down at around 2000 which after checking on carzone just now is woefully under priced, by about a grand. strange that they are going for around 3 grand at the moment when I paid 4.5 for it 5 years ago.

It was no biggie not going with them, I just thought it was a bit strange that they wouldnt quote me fully comp online. I called around anyway a got a much better deal going through a broker for axa rather than axa directly, about 100 quid in the difference. I actually quite like teh whole calling teh different companies and playing them off each other to get money off. I don't however like teh reps who refuse to negotiate with you at all

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    You're obviously going to get people complaining. I don't understand it. Insurance is just a game. Spend an hour each year ringing around and go with the best value. You're not forced to renew.

I was calling around to get quotes, Liberty was one of the ones I called & came in three times more expensive than my current one

Hey Bgrizzley,

This could be down to a number of factors, including the details entered for the quotation or when the quote was actually generated. If anything on the quote is different, it may vary the price. Our pricing is constantly under review so even getting a quote on a different day could result in different prices. The rating may have changed from the date your renewal quote was generated and when you received the online quote. The online quote will also include an online discount which will have reduced the price.
    If you have received two different prices, we will check all the details for you and make sure you get the best price we can offer.

Thanks for getting in touch,

Philip

Hi Brownacid,

We only offer comprehensive cover on cars with a value over €2,000, so if your vehicle is valued less than this we won’t be able to offer you this level of cover. I hope this clears it up for you.

Cheers

Philip

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

I'm pretty sure other insurance companies base quotes on the above too.

Got my renewal from Liberty this year and they wanted circa €900 comprehensive, I purchased for €500 elsewhere.

And there was a reason they where so cheap and now you, me and every other purchaser of insurance in this country is paying for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement