Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a post-graduate diploma and doing the thesis at a later stage?

• 23-08-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of not doing my thesis and getting a post-graduate diploma instead of a Masters.

However, if I decide later on that I would like to get my Masters, could I do the thesis then without having to do any of the other course work already completed for the post-graduate diploma?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

LilyPool wrote: »
    Hi,

I am thinking of not doing my thesis and getting a post-graduate diploma instead of a Masters.

However, if I decide later on that I would like to get my Masters, could I do the thesis then without having to do any of the other course work already completed for the post-graduate diploma?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Well I suppose it depends on the college and how flexible they are; I have seen a few people who have gone through the same route as you. The main issue in my opinion would be the time lag between the completion of your post graduate diploma and when you decide to complete the Masters programme by submitting a dissertation- one academic session would be fine but after that it might become somewhat problematic.

Like I said, it depends on the institution and how flexible they are- most are these days. I will suggest you approach your head of department or course advisor for a more accurate answer to your query.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Like I said, it depends on the institution and how flexible they are- most are these days. I will suggest you approach your head of department or course advisor for a more accurate answer to your query.

I agree, different institutions have different rules.

However once you have the credits from your grad dip, these can get you entrance to and exemptions in a different masters programme at a later date.

Depending on how close the modules were to the new course you can end up getting a masters in a more relevant subject or from a better university.

In my experience it s better to come out with a good Grad Dip than an ok Masters. The uk tends to be much more flexible than Irish universities in my opinion.

Advertisement