Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS scheme query

• 23-08-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I'm living at the same property for nearly 3 years and have been on RAS for a year. My query is what happens if you want to move? Do you lose your place on the scheme and have to pay rent normally or receive rent allowance? Or can you transfer your RAS to the new property?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, if RAS is rent allowance scheme yes you can move properties.
    If you know the area you want to live in, go to the local health centre and get a rent pack. Make sure the property is in the right price range- this has went down in the last year, and the SW won't entertain any properties above a certain price for your circumstances (e.g its 775e for a single parent in Blanchardstown but 550e in Meath etc).
    They advise not to move into a property until you get approval, which I imagine could make things difficult with a potential new landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

zef wrote: »
    Hi, if RAS is rent allowance scheme yes you can move properties.
    If you know the area you want to live in, go to the local health centre and get a rent pack. Make sure the property is in the right price range- this has went down in the last year, and the SW won't entertain any properties above a certain price for your circumstances (e.g its 775e for a single parent in Blanchardstown but 550e in Meath etc).
    They advise not to move into a property until you get approval, which I imagine could make things difficult with a potential new landlord.

Hi thanks for your reply but it's not rent allowance it is rental accommodation scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Is your current lease up?

If so and you don't want to stay in the property, then I think you need to speak to the council, inform them of your desire to move.
    I assume then they will ask you to search for another suitable property, similar to the one you're in, then start the process again...I.E making sure the landlord of the new property wants to do the RAS scheme and then start again.

Not entirely sure-I almost went on the RAS scheme myself so I know how it works, but not 100% on what happens if you want to move.
    The council will be your best source of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubsfan

hi my landlord is in the process of signing up and ive to go to council for an interview next week and they want me to bring car registration details anyone know what this would be for as i find it very strange when assessing a housing need. ive been on rent allowance for 9 years and house has passed inspections just need council approvement for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement