Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State lakes controlled by gun clubs?!

Options
  • 23-08-2012 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi lads, I need your opinion/advice on this one,
    I was making a query in NPWS regarding forshore lakes in Co.Wexford whether I could apply to shoot some ducks on them or not.
    A fella from NWPS got in touch with me and advised to contact The District Conservation Officer in the Wexford area regarding my query, so I did, and ask the local DCO which lakes I could apply for the forshore license and got a reply :” Stan,
    The general description of Lakes is really a misnomer in relation to Co. Wexford, while Our lady’s Island Lake & Tacumshin are listed as State Lakes, they are in fact controlled by local gun clubs, you will have to discuss locally regarding membership, other than that there is a facility to apply for State Foreshore, this can be applied for using an application form (I presume available from our website, but I have never had to look for it) or by writing to Wildlife Licensing Unit, c/o NPWS (DoAHG), 7 Ely Place, Dublin 2.
    You should use as much detail as possible in each section to allow for a quick response,
    Míle Buíochas,

So my question is if I will get the license for them lakes will I be able to shoot them or some local gun club will face me and tell me to take off, as DCO said they are State owned but controlled by local gun clubs ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 magic_tree

I applied for a foreshore license years ago. I have 1 year left until it has to be renewed but I havent a clue where it can be used :confused: They say any state owned lakes but I cant find a complete list of state owned lakes. And if I did know of the exact lake I can shoot on how do I go about it? Just show up and set up on the shore where people could walk by, would dog walkers and the likes not be angry and report you?
    I live near Blessington and would love to know of what lakes in the Wicklow area I can shoot :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

A foreshore license doesn't give you the automatic right to shoot on the lands covered by the license.
    For instance if you have permission from a land owner to shoot ducks on his/her land which is covered under foreshore then you will also need a foreshore license as the wildlife rangers will ask you for it if they stop you.

If you have permission but no foreshore license then you are not properly licensed to shoot the land.
    I don't know if that makes sense to you or not.

I have a foreshore license for Wexford harbour but it doesn't give me the right to cross anyones land to get to it.
    I can however sit in a boat just off shore and shoot if I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

magic_tree wrote: »
    I applied for a foreshore license years ago. I have 1 year left until it has to be renewed but I havent a clue where it can be used :confused: They say any state owned lakes but I cant find a complete list of state owned lakes. And if I did know of the exact lake I can shoot on how do I go about it? Just show up and set up on the shore where people could walk by, would dog walkers and the likes not be angry and report you?
    I live near Blessington and would love to know of what lakes in the Wicklow area I can shoot :confused::confused:

The list of state lakes is on the Foreshore Licence Application Form...........none in Wicklow, I'm afraid!

List of State Lakes

Lake County

Allen Leitrim/Roscommon
    Arrow Sligo
    Belhavel Leitrim
    Bimerkey Cavan
    Boderg (Bofin) Leitrim
    Brackley Cavan
    Corrib Galway
    Currane Kerry
    Derg Donegal
    Derg Clare
    Derravaragh Westmeath
    Ennel Westmeath
    Esk Donegal
    Feeag Mayo
    Forbes Longford
    Garadice Leitrim
    Gill Sligo/Leitrim
    Gulladoo Leitrim
    Kee Roscommon
    Kinale, Gowna Longford
    Macnean Upper Leitrim
    Melvin Leitrim
    Oughter Cavan
    Owel Westmeath
    Ree Roscommon
    Rinn Leitrim
    Scannal Leitrim
    Sheelin Cavan/Westmeath
    Sillan Cavan
    Suir Leitrim
    Tacker Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 magic_tree

thanks for the list, I seem to have missed that for some reason when applying. I know I dont have the right to cross any private lands but is it ok to gain entry to the lake with my equipment the same way the rest of the public do? The part which I am confused with is how exactly I approach the area to do my shooting without causing hassle to members of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

magic_tree wrote: »
    thanks for the list, I seem to have missed that for some reason when applying. I know I dont have the right to cross any private lands but is it ok to gain entry to the lake with my equipment the same way the rest of the public do? The part which I am confused with is how exactly I approach the area to do my shooting without causing hassle to members of the public.

No matter where you have permission to shoot public safety is paramount, and in the safety of the public who are using the area as recreation or whatever their safety and rights, over ride your right to shoot there, a firearm can only be used where it is not a danger to the pubic or give concern to the public using the area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement