Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV3 Programme 'The Estate' in Ballybeg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lollysocks

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Also on the subject of context unless there are 2 Andrew Halligans in Clonard Park, the brother who is getting out after 7 years was indeed involved in the stabbing to death of Dick Forristal as mentioned in an earlier post. The "little sis's" comic stint where she wasn't sure how many kids he had and she casually mentioned she used her brothers to sort out any bother she got into on the street takes on a slightly sinister aspect when you are aware of what her family are capable of doing.

The same brother she was talking about who used to 'sort out' people for her, died in prison whilst serving a 10 year sentance for viciously beating a man to a pulp with a stick. Lovely people they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Im just going to have to call it as i see it here.The vast majority of people in Ballybeg are sound.The likes of the Halligans are just an example of the minority of scum families that cause havoc in the area.I didn't mind the woman who feeds her daughter the processed food.That lot were mildly amusing.Young Tommy is living proof that it's who you are not where your from that counts.The fella that was on last weeks episode is it Paddy his name is?Whatever his name is that fella is a gas man and when i think of Ballybeg i like to think of people like him not the Halligans.I found it disturbing that TV3 gave the Halligans on open platform to air their threats.I was disgusted listening to mammy Halligan blaming everyone and everything but herself for the way her kid's turned out.So all the Halligan lads became criminals because their father didn't take them out fishing?:rolleyes: All in all it's a mildy entertaining show but shame on TV3 for giving the Halligans publicity and a chance to revel in their notoriety on national tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ It was never, ever going to be a show about how far Ballybeg has come over the years and the positivity and local services like Access IT, community schemes etc. TV3 wanted a programme about estates with a bad rep and they have picked the worst, scummiest members of the place and edited it to make them look even worse that they are (even with that Cynthia one, they seemed to portray her as a demanding and leeching foreign national when she said "I want them to progress my case", leaving out the bit before "Im waiting 6 years"). In fact that was shocking to me the way they edited her, almost as if they wanted to stoke the racism fire and have her hounded out of her home.

The thing is, who are we to complain about how negative the show is? Dont like it, you should have taken part and showed a different side to the place but almost everyone who were asked to partake refused so you cant exactly complain about the beauties who were left. Its easier to just sit on the sofa and complain about it rather than do anything about it. Because we all know people of Waterford are 100% perfect and without flaws, the ultimate judge of other people. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Lads, what is wrong with some people? Ye throw around the word "scum" and whatever, in a seemingly indiscriminate fashion, regardless of what we've read or heard! Have we reached a stage as whereas, If someone is done for drunk and disorderly or whatever crime, that we can use terms that insinuate whatever a definition in any dictionary defines (and lads, the internet is not that anonymous). Enough is enough, in fairness. What is this? Character assassinations anonymous? I'm not standing up for anyone or anything, but there's a fine line...

^ It was never, ever going to be a show about how far Ballybeg has come over the years and the positivity and local services like Access IT, community schemes etc. TV3 wanted a programme about estates with a bad rep and they have picked the worst, scummiest members of the place and edited it to make them look even worse that they are (even with that Cynthia one, they seemed to portray her as a demanding and leeching foreign national when she said "I want them to progress my case", leaving out the bit before "Im waiting 6 years"). In fact that was shocking to me the way they edited her, almost as if they wanted to stoke the racism fire and have her hounded out of her home.

The thing is, who are we to complain about how negative the show is? Dont like it, you should have taken part and showed a different side to the place but almost everyone who were asked to partake refused so you cant exactly complain about the beauties who were left. Its easier to just sit on the sofa and complain about it rather than do anything about it. Because we all know people of Waterford are 100% perfect and without flaws, the ultimate judge of other people. :rolleyes:

Oh we are all without our flaws but a lot of us aren't going in and out of prison with the frequency of express trains either!So please call a halt to the violins.I have no issues with the other participants.When a family of the Halligans notoriety feature on the show then of course it will draw comments from people.People knew all about their history long before they appeared on a television screen.

• Advertisement

Lads, what is wrong with some people? Ye throw around the word "scum" and whatever, in a seemingly indiscriminate fashion, regardless of what we've read or heard! Have we reached a stage as whereas, If someone is done for drunk and disorderly or whatever crime, that we can use terms that insinuate whatever a definition in any dictionary defines (and lads, the internet is not that anonymous). Enough is enough, in fairness. What is this? Character assassinations anonymous? I'm not standing up for anyone or anything, but there's a fine line...

Did you not hear what the Halligan daughter said last night?If someone messes with me i get my brothers to sort them out.When you take into account some of the crimes committed by the Halligans that was a really nasty threat aired on national tv for the whole country to hear.You can't blame TV3 for making people look worse than they were there.You politically correct types are great for the bullying and intimidation if anyone dares to offer an opinion that doesn't sit with your own agenda!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

I saw a little bit of goodness in everyone. The boxer girl especially, she seemed very happy doing her first sparring match.

The show itself is a little boring but watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Did you not hear what the Halligan daughter said last night?If someone messes with me i get my brothers to sort them out.When you take into account some of the crimes committed by the Halligans that was a really nasty threat aired on national tv for the whole country to hear.You can't blame TV3 for making people look worse than they were there.You politically correct types are great for the bullying and intimidation if anyone dares to offer an opinion that doesn't sit with your own agenda!

What? are you for real? seriously!.. in this day and age? Are you so disgruntled in so many ways that you can create an opinion that seems to form (in my opinion) nothing more than hatred, discrimination. You should be ashamed of yourself Miss.. How dare you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

I turned the program off after about 5 minutes. The Halligan's should not be anywhere near the tv & people should not have sympathy for them either.One of them is due for release next year, for those who don't know already, this is why he is currently in prison:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0308/73865-forristald/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Halligan...Moran...Barnes...What's the official name of these people?

And I agree by the way...they should not have been featured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Halligan...Moran...Barnes...What's the official name of these people?

And I agree by the way...they should not have been featured.

Are they Travellers just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lollysocks

Hootanany wrote: »
    Not in the slightest, but they are usually referred to as 'wannabe travellers' around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Cheers for that.

Hootanany wrote: »

One look at the heads on them will tell you everything you need to know.

It's mad though isn't it? How Scumbags actually look like scumbags.

It's mad though isn't it? How Scumbags actually look like scumbags.

Exactly, these "people" can be spotted literally a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Sad to say but it might be time to sterilise some members of our "society" it's incredible we allow scum like these on telly. Poor Tommy I really hope he gets ahead in life.

mcko wrote: »
    Sad to say but it might be time to sterilise some members of our "society"

Well it took 20 pages but we got there in the end. :rolleyes:

Maybe Adolf was not to wrong.

Maybe you're an idiot.

• Advertisement

When I see where my tax goes then maybe you are right.

In larchville a few weeks ago, a local thug, that everyone knows, stopped a young lad as he was setting the alarm on the house and heading out. He made him turn off the alarm and then ransacked the house with the poor kid too scares to do anything but look on.

I know why you're thinking as you are, but there are other ways. Unfortunately we live in a country governed by gutless idiots.

I always thought it would be a good idea to make the local super in charge of a district live in the worst estates. Then you might get a better policing of these estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I always thought it would be a good idea to make the local super in charge of a district live in the worst estates. Then you might get a better policing of these estates.

Put social workers and housing officers in with them

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

no point in ye all running out voting for liberal lefties who believe in alternative methods of policing etc and who lecture us about how we must show our humanity to these criminals, and then turning around afterwards complaing about our soft courts/policing!!!!

anyone who calls for stricter sentencing is derided as being a member of the "hang 'em and flog 'em brigade"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

deisemum wrote: »
    Put social workers and housing officers in with them

So criminals can threaten them and their families if they dont like what they hear.

Why would someone who worked hard and got a good job want to raise their family in a place full of pikeys and halligans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

In larchville a few weeks ago, a local thug, that everyone knows, stopped a young lad as he was setting the alarm on the house and heading out. He made him turn off the alarm and then ransacked the house with the poor kid too scares to do anything but look on.

I know why you're thinking as you are, but there are other ways. Unfortunately we live in a country governed by gutless idiots.

can i ask where in larchville this happened and can you name the thug? and how did he see him setting the alarm was he in the house with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

Why not just feed them to the sharks? Normal hard working families have been terrorised by the above mentioned family, imagine how a garda would be treated... they know the faces of the Gardai around town as much as the Gardai know their faces. I know of Gardai who dont bother going for a drink in town anymore because they'll just get abused by someone they may have "visited" before. Why put them next door to someone they have visited hundreds of times.

You cant blame the Gardai for the certain families behavior nor can you blame a housing estate. They are what they are unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

These goons are like cancer, they feed off negativity.
    The sooner the better the last series airs and we can all forget about their mundane lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 marysirish

Is this the Halligan family that's related to the thug that murdered poor Dick Forristal a few years ago?Wasn't there a Halligan from Ballybeg sent to prison over that?

Yes it is the same Halligan.

Advertisement