Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV3 Programme 'The Estate' in Ballybeg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 marysirish

lollysocks wrote: »
    And that old woman saying she did her best to raise the kids.. and then goes on to say her youngest child was in the care of that other Ann woman for many years... And most of her children turned out to be jailbirds/troublemakers... Umm wtf..??? That's failure at parenting no matter how nice of a woman she may be..

And the girl who went out drinking before the day of her childs party.. She was a joke to be quite frank... Have no pity for any of these people they are all the cause of their own troubles.

I know the family and I would not say that the mother didn't do her best, what can you do slap them every time they do something wrong, her husband was never at home and the kids got out of hand, but be fair, we all do our best for our kids and what they do when they get older we can't do anything about that, the woman done the best she could.

The girl on the program well what should I say about her, she has no money for the child's birthday but she can go out drinking, her mother tried to talk a bit of sense into her but just like the Halligans the mother can't do anything but tell her off, she just needs a good kick in her backside.

Sully wrote: »

The girl spending money on cigarettes, drink, etc. is also not uncommon and there was uproar when it was suggested that people who cannot afford these luxuries should stop and pay their bills.

She spends money on drink, e.t.c. and then moan that she only has 45 cent in her pocket, well don't spend money on cigarettes and drink e.t.c. and then you would have more money in your pocket to buy food, I'm from Ballybeg and I know people like this they have no money to put food on the table for their kids but they do have money to buy drink e.t.c. and that is what pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Maryirish just a heads up it easier to reply to multiple people using the multi quote on the bottom right of a post it saves you having to reply to individual post separately. :)

Sorry for the slight derailing of the thread.

^
    (even with that Cynthia one, they seemed to portray her as a demanding and leeching foreign national when she said "I want them to progress my case", leaving out the bit before "Im waiting 6 years"). In fact that was shocking to me the way they edited her, almost as if they wanted to stoke the racism fire and have her hounded out of her home.

The thing is, who are we to complain about how negative the show is? Dont like it, you should have taken part and showed a different side to the place but almost everyone who were asked to partake refused so you cant exactly complain about the beauties who were left. Its easier to just sit on the sofa and complain about it rather than do anything about it. Because we all know people of Waterford are 100% perfect and without flaws, the ultimate judge of other people. :rolleyes:

I don't know about other people but I did hear Cynthia say she was waiting 6 years, but thne I watched the show on youtube?Everybody have flaws but if you don't want to be judged on it then don't go on TV.

Lads, what is wrong with some people? Ye throw around the word "scum" and whatever, in a seemingly indiscriminate fashion, regardless of what we've read or heard! Have we reached a stage as whereas, If someone is done for drunk and disorderly or whatever crime, that we can use terms that insinuate whatever a definition in any dictionary defines (and lads, the internet is not that anonymous). Enough is enough, in fairness. What is this? Character assassinations anonymous? I'm not standing up for anyone or anything, but there's a fine line...

It is not only the one Halligan that done time and not only for stabbing and there are something that you can't find on the internet believe me, so when people call them scum, it's not the word I would use because their is no word for what those lads have done.

• Advertisement

What? are you for real? seriously!.. in this day and age? Are you so disgruntled in so many ways that you can create an opinion that seems to form (in my opinion) nothing more than hatred, discrimination. You should be ashamed of yourself Miss.. How dare you!

What Totally Tropicalis true and it's got nothing to do with hatred or discrimination that's just the way the family is, if the sister said that someone was bothering her the rest will go out and beat up that person without even asking what is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Holy moly!! The state of all that rubbish that girl Shauna had, and she was entitled to a waiver so didn't even have to pay. Her poor mother is such a walkover.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

That man with the three dogs talking about his mental health is an inspiration. He really spoke from his heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

To be honest, I felt for a lot of these people. Well, maybe not the Halligans, but the single mother has depression, Vincent has 'demons', the state of mental health and mental healthcare in this country is terrible lads. The young lad going to college has 'something' in his life, as do the young couple who are boxers but when you don't have that pastime, that goal, that passion... well drink, drugs, crime etc is all too easy to turn to.

Watching tonights episode didn't worry me that it might show Waterford or Ballybeg in a bad light... it made me think how many people in this country are actually like this and are this unhappy mentally and might not even know it. Sobering thought tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

lisaj wrote: »
    Her poor mother is such a walkover.

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Jason Todd wrote: »
    To be honest, I felt for a lot of these people. Well, maybe not the Halligans, but the single mother has depression, Vincent has 'demons', the state of mental health and mental healthcare in this country is terrible lads. The young lad going to college has 'something' in his life, as do the young couple who are boxers but when you don't have that pastime, that goal, that passion... well drink, drugs, crime etc is all too easy to turn to.

Watching tonights episode didn't worry me that it might show Waterford or Ballybeg in a bad light... it made me think how many people in this country are actually like this and are this unhappy mentally and might not even know it. Sobering thought tbh.

Really well said Jason. This episode I believe to be only a minute zoned in version of many many parts of Ireland. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Ahh just give them another hand out, I really pity those people that won't get off their arse and try and better themselves,a good kick in the hole that fag billowing girl could do with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

marlin vs wrote: »
    Ahh just give them another hand out, I really pity those people that won't get off their arse and try and better themselves,a good kick in the hole that fag billowing girl could do with.
    I genuinely don't understand where the hatred for this girl stems from. Do people know her personally? As far as I can see she is someone who loves her child a great deal and who is doing her best given her circumstances. She working to raise her child by herself which is not an easy task by any standard. Is she a bad parent just because she smokes? My guess is there are underlying reasons for the sentiment toward her, more than likely it's nothing more than because she is a single parent. If that's the case then Waterford truly hasn't been able to move itself beyond the Magdelen mentality and that's a shameful shameful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I watched the third final part of the estate on 3 player-I thought it was a bit more balanced then the first episode as tonights episode shown some of the more positive aspects young tommy on the course trying to better himself etc- the young blonde girl into boxing its good she has a hobby even if she comes across as a tomboy-after watching the few episodes of the estate-I thought shauna was a disgrace-first she smokes around a young child passive smoking/then she leaves a big heap of rubbish build up as shown in tonights episode-the girl done herself no favours by agreeing to appear on that show- one would imagine she would of refused to leave all that rubbish to filmed on camera to be shown on tv/internet- she seems to have no shame.

you people are weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

pharmaton wrote: »
    I genuinely don't understand where the hatred for this girl stems from. Do people know her personally? As far as I can see she is someone who loves her child a great deal and who is doing her best given her circumstances. She working to raise her child by herself which is not an easy task by any standard. Is she a bad parent just because she smokes? My guess is there are underlying reasons for the sentiment toward her, more than likely it's nothing more than because she is a single parent. If that's the case then Waterford truly hasn't been able to move itself beyond the Magdelen mentality and that's a shameful shameful thing.

When she was riding around at 17 or 18 she knew what way things were going to pan out. She's now 20 with a 2 year old child that I pity a great deal. I don't pity the mother or have any sympathy for her, I do pity the 2 year old child because its not her fault that she was born into the life she has. More than likely she'll end up being a mother in 14 or 15 years just like her mother & her grandmother.

I have little sympathy for that big lump of a girl who bitches & moans about not having a penny, yet she hasn't been seen without a cigarette in any scene she's been in yet. Perhaps if she spent €4.69 on a box of durex 3 years ago she wouldn't be in the mess she's in now. I have no sympathy whatsoever for her. She made her choice in life a few years back & she has to learn how to deal with it. No amount of bitching, moaning or phone calls to Billy McCarthy will make her problems go away. Its just typical of the way Ireland is at the minute - she ****s up & everyone else is to blame. It's the ESBs fault she can't pay her bill, it's the child's fault she has no money etc. It's very hard to have sympathy for her or people like her.

I feel sorry for the genuinely nice people of Ballybeg who are getting stick over this program. In my opinion years of hard work - carried out by many, many lovely people to help rebuild the name of Ballybeg - has been undone by 3 hours of tv.

Motivator wrote: »
    When she was riding around at 17 or 18 she knew what way things were going to pan out. She's now 20 with a 2 year old child that I pity a great deal. I don't pity the mother or have any sympathy for her, I do pity the 2 year old child because its not her fault that she was born into the life she has. More than likely she'll end up being a mother in 14 or 15 years just like her mother & her grandmother.

I have little sympathy for that big lump of a girl who bitches & moans about not having a penny, yet she hasn't been seen without a cigarette in any scene she's been in yet. Perhaps if she spent €4.69 on a box of durex 3 years ago she wouldn't be in the mess she's in now. I have no sympathy whatsoever for her. She made her choice in life a few years back & she has to learn how to deal with it. No amount of bitching, moaning or phone calls to Billy McCarthy will make her problems go away. Its just typical of the way Ireland is at the minute - she ****s up & everyone else is to blame. It's the ESBs fault she can't pay her bill, it's the child's fault she has no money etc. It's very hard to have sympathy for her or people like her.

I feel sorry for the genuinely nice people of Ballybeg who are getting stick over this program. In my opinion years of hard work - carried out by many, many lovely people to help rebuild the name of Ballybeg - has been undone by 3 hours of tv.

are you a paid representative of the anti single parent brigade or is it just something you do in your spare time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Some say you can learn a bit about someone from looking at someones facebook page without ever meeting the person-I wouldnt mention names-but some of people who appeared on the estate I had a look at their facebook profiles-learn a bit more about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

i think this is a bit harsh aswell. it could be the upbringing that she got that you acknowledge her child will probably get. it takes all sorts of people to make up the world. every town or city in the world have people like this. doesnt make ir right but i personally would have sympathy for anyone who decides to bring up their kids this way. there is something seriously wrong in their mindset if they can justify this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Am Chile wrote: »
    Some say you can learn a bit about someone from looking at someones facebook page without ever meeting the person-I wouldnt mention names-but some of people who appeared on the estate I had a look at their facebook profiles-learn a bit more about them.

What are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Sounds like you have her written off completely. There's nobody perfect in this world.

I thought she came across as a young woman of 20, abandoned by someone she clearly loved (she wasn't 'riding around') to raise their child on her own. She works, she genuinely seems to love her daughter a great deal and yes, as a young single parent, she probably finds it hard, both financially and emotionally. But she's learning, like we all have to. Unlike whoever helped get her pregnant, she's taken responsibility and has had to grow up fast.
    I thought her mother was far from a pushover and wasn't afraid to tell it like it is and only wanted the best for her daughter. They seemed to have a lovely relationship.

If I were from Ballybeg I would be more ashamed to be thought of as coming from a pool of thought which to this day still chastises women who have children out of wedlock and thinks of them as broken because of it. (thankfully, I'm not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Snobbery is alive and well in Waterford, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Riding around? So you know how many partners she had do you? You say she made her choice... somehow I don't think she made the choice to bring the kid up on her own, you gonna blame her for the father leaving too?

The lack of birth control and the smoking in the house are down to lack of education imo. A lot of people, even today, are having kids young because they don't know how everything works or aren't using it right. The smoking indoors is something I don't agree with, but it's probably what she is used to. I know of many people, who would be considered more 'upper class' than her so to speak who smoked and drank while pregnant.

Hopefully someone will have a word now the programme is over, but in the last scene she is seen smoking outside on her step so maybe she already has made the change. I genuinely hope things turn around for her and that she can deal better with things next time she's stuck in a rut.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

pharmaton wrote: »

First of all, I don't think people have "hatred" for the girl, so I think you are wide of the mark with that comment. I also think you are making assumptions about peoples' attitude towards her because she is a single parent. Personally, my annoyance at her is nothing whatsoever to do with her being a single parent - I'd be as annoyed about her situation had she a partner.

From my point of view, the problem I have with her is the poor mouthing for each of the three shows. Last night's programme showed her using her back garden as a dump, even though as it turned out, there was yet another handout which she could have claimed in the first place to get her bins collected. A lot of her rubbish was wine bottles and beer bottles of course, so even though she struggles to pay the electricity bill and gets handouts for her bin collections, there seems to be plenty of money available for booze and cigarettes.

I'm sure she loves her child, nobody is doubting that. But seeing the waste in that house (financial as well as physical waste) is pretty sickening tbh. That's what gets on peoples' nerves, not her being a single parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

If I'm honest,

I think the girl is getting a hard time here. I could (and I'm sure allot of others here) could have had a kid in my teens but luck was on my side and she's not going to say no to any of the "handouts" that she gets so there is a bigger issue there.

As for How she comes across in general if you had followed me around with a camera when I was 18/19 I'd imagine I would have come across quite a bit worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

lets not turn this discussion into a debate about single parents....what we witnessed last night is pure laziness and filth and has nothing to do with being a single parent....the reality is that the person in question was too lazy to contact waterford city council and make arrangements to have her bins collected (PLEASE NOTE--THE COLLECTION OF HER BINS IS PAID FOR BY YOUR HOUSEHOLD CHARGE....DID YOU PAY UP???)...instead of arranging for the bins to be collected, she decided to store dirty nappies all over her back garden...NOTHING SHORT OF A DISGRACE....any idiot that sympathises with her "plight" is just that---an idiot....

one of the most telling points of the programme was when Tommy said that his parents wanted him to leave school and go to youthreach "because i would get paid to go to school"...this is a widespread problem in certain areas and needs to be faced up to...
    the attitude seems to be to screw the taxpayer for every cent at the earliest opportunity....his parents (and lots of other parents are nothing short of a disgrace)....tommy came across as a really decent fella and i hope things work out for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

lets not turn this discussion into a debate about single parents....what we witnessed last night is pure laziness and filth and has nothing to do with being a single parent....the reality is that the person in question was too lazy to contact waterford city council and make arrangements to have her bins collected (PLEASE NOTE--THE COLLECTION OF HER BINS IS PAID FOR BY YOUR HOUSEHOLD CHARGE....DID YOU PAY UP???)...instead of arranging for the bins to be collected, she decided to store dirty nappies all over her back garden...NOTHING SHORT OF A DISGRACE....any idiot that sympathises with her "plight" is just that---an idiot....

one of the most telling points of the programme was when Tommy said that his parents wanted him to leave school and go to youthreach "because i would get paid to go to school"...this is a widespread problem in certain areas and needs to be faced up to...
    the attitude seems to be to screw the taxpayer for every cent at the earliest opportunity....his parents (and lots of other parents are nothing short of a disgrace)....tommy came across as a really decent fella and i hope things work out for him...

I have sympathy for the young guy alright, anyone else think he put the boot into his parents any chance he got?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Sounds like you have her written off completely. There's nobody perfect in this world.

I thought she came across as a young woman of 20, abandoned by someone she clearly loved (she wasn't 'riding around') to raise their child on her own. She works, she genuinely seems to love her daughter a great deal and yes, as a young single parent, she probably finds it hard, both financially and emotionally. But she's learning, like we all have to. Unlike whoever helped get her pregnant, she's taken responsibility and has had to grow up fast.
    I thought her mother was far from a pushover and wasn't afraid to tell it like it is and only wanted the best for her daughter. They seemed to have a lovely relationship.

Completely untrue... Did she not mention in the first episode she couldn't wait for payday from the dad? When she's hungover on the show who do you imagine had the child the night before when it was a family do?
    You can't strike an opinion on the father because he was smart enough not to put himself on the firing range with this show ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have sympathy for the young guy alright, anyone else think he put the boot into his parents any chance he got?

I picked up on that too, again it could be down to editing

Advertisement