Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV3 Programme 'The Estate' in Ballybeg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

ziedth wrote: »
    I picked up on that too, again it could be down to editing

could you blame him, at college it showed him doing his project on barnardos as he has 20 years of experience with them, i.e. they have been helping hime all his life. but at the end he did say that his parents recognise the effort he is putting in at college. I admire Tommy making a go of it but getting nothing from the stae as for shauna wasn't she so proud of getting her bin waiver! what a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ellebi

Everyone on this thing are so judgemental. I think the programme was excellent and most estates in every city/town around the Country would be exactly the same.
    It was great to see all these people are now trying to turn there lifes around and that is great to see and just because someone comes from a rough family or a rough area doesnt mean they should be all tanished with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Didn't see last night's one yet but have been fairly impressed with it from the first two episodes. If these points have been covered already, apologies.

I did have to laugh at Shauna saying to her kid "Can you go outside now, we want to have a smoke". Hahaha absolutely hilarious stuff if it wasn't so sad. Talk about back to front.

Yer man Vincent is a tool. Makes out he's Mr Popular. Is he really? Also chuckled on the first episode when he was saying "We have the church over there, we have the shop there, it's a great place. Oh and we have that pub but it got...eh damaged." Haha as if twas accidental damage or something.

The African lady pissed me off though with her attitude in one of the episodes when she said she basically said to the corporation "Well I need a house and what are you going to do for me?" That attitude of entitlement, from anyone in this country, really pisses me off.

Fair play to yer man Tommy...hope he follows through and makes it. I was very lucky that my parents gave me every opportunity, several second chances and every encouragement to go to college, get an education and good job. For that young fella to do it in spite of getting discouragement from home should be an inspiration to everyone. I just really hope he makes it coz he seems like a top fella. To be giving up his time to help others as well shows me what type of person he is.

Edit:Also agree about the Halligans. These people are vermin and should not be given a platform on national TV. They are not representative of the Ballybeg people that I know and know of but are just the scum on the bottom of the barrel. Want to give them a platform on TV? Then screen a programme called "Ireland's Worst Families" but don't put them on and give the impression that they are representative of Ballybeg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

lets not turn this discussion into a debate about single parents....what we witnessed last night is pure laziness and filth and has nothing to do with being a single parent....the reality is that the person in question was too lazy to contact waterford city council and make arrangements to have her bins collected (PLEASE NOTE--THE COLLECTION OF HER BINS IS PAID FOR BY YOUR HOUSEHOLD CHARGE....DID YOU PAY UP???)...instead of arranging for the bins to be collected, she decided to store dirty nappies all over her back garden...NOTHING SHORT OF A DISGRACE....any idiot that sympathises with her "plight" is just that---an idiot....

one of the most telling points of the programme was when Tommy said that his parents wanted him to leave school and go to youthreach "because i would get paid to go to school"...this is a widespread problem in certain areas and needs to be faced up to...
    the attitude seems to be to screw the taxpayer for every cent at the earliest opportunity....his parents (and lots of other parents are nothing short of a disgrace)....tommy came across as a really decent fella and i hope things work out for him...

This is about her status as a single parent.
    It was assumed by the first program she was a dole sponging knack with a free house and nothing has changed since despite the fact that she works and suffers from depression. People around here don't appear to be very educated or want to be educated to the facts of the situation.
    She is a child, as her daughter is quite young I imagine she is not in the house more than a few months, as she works and is a full time parent by herself finding the time to sort out the finer details of being a responsible house owning adult took longer than it might have for someone without the weight of those responsibilities around them.
    Whats more disgusting about the attitude toward her is that out of all the people on the program, a family of murderers, thieves and abusers , she's the one that the vox populi decide to hold up and inspect her values. I'm actually genuinely ashamed.

(if she was a man, raising her daughter alone in ballybeg, he would be an angel even if he smoked spliffs above her head while doing it)

This is a class issue and the lowest class there can be in Ireland is the single white female raising a child alone. Everyone needs someone to look down on and it speaks volumes of the type here who are doing just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

I missed the first two episodes and only caught last nights one.

I think it has painted a bad picture for council estates, I acutally find myself asking 'is that what its really like' some might say its just ignorance but I come from a council estate myself and it is nothing like this. My parent still live there, although they have bought the house form the council. Not even starting to think about the crime / attitude / lack of education of the people shown but the actual dirt and mess of the place alone. There would be a small minorty of people in my parents estate that would not look after their homes and gardens but it still doesnt look this bad.

I have never hid the fact I come from a council estate but I found myself talking in work about it this morning and thinking 'that really has put a brutal picture on people coming from council estates' I come from a big family and not one of us has ended up in council houses, we have all bought our own homes same with my partners family. I dunno maybe I was just lucky with the council estate I came from but I think it has put a bad light on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Now that the series is over, I thought overall the impression of Ballybeg and its people were positive. It showed that in 2013 it is still possible to live on a council estate and aspire to a decent life. Sure there are problems , but when compared to some documentaries on sink estates I've seen from across the water, the people came across as reasonable and hopeful.

bullpost wrote: »
    Now that the series is over, I thought overall the impression of Ballybeg and its people were positive. It showed that in 2013 it is still possible to live on a council estate and aspire to a decent life. Sure there are problems , but when compared to some documentaries on sink estates I've seen from across the water, the people came across as reasonable and hopeful.
    Have to agree, I know a lot more people who come from private estates who would put those people in ballybeg in the shade. I thought the place looked clean, the houses looked well cared for and it gave an overall positive impression of the people living there.
    I haven't been in or around Ballybeg since I was a teenager and it's definitely given me a different perspective on the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

pharmaton wrote: »
    This is about her status as a single parent.
    It was assumed by the first program she was a dole sponging knack with a free house and nothing has changed since despite the fact that she works and suffers from depression. People around here don't appear to be very educated or want to be educated to the facts of the situation.
    She is a child, as her daughter is quite young I imagine she is not in the house more than a few months, as she works and is a full time parent by herself finding the time to sort out the finer details of being a responsible house owning adult took longer than it might have for someone without the weight of those responsibilities around them.
    Whats more disgusting about the attitude toward her is that out of all the people on the program, a family of murderers, thieves and abusers , she's the one that the vox populi decide to hold up and inspect her values. I'm actually genuinely ashamed.

(if she was a man, raising her daughter alone in ballybeg, he would be an angel even if he smoked spliffs above her head while doing it)

This is a class issue and the lowest class there can be in Ireland is the single white female raising a child alone. Everyone needs someone to look down on and it speaks volumes of the type here who are doing just that.

As I said at the start we not that far removed from the Magdalene days at all. Young single mot,her was the easy target and most people took the bait from the get go and of course programme makers knew this would happen - we as a nation are still that predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

As I said at the start we not that far removed from the Magdalene days at all. Young single mot,her was the easy target and most people took the bait from the get go and of course programme makers knew this would happen - we as a nation are still that predictable.

Scan, the closest that young one is going to get to a laundry is when she deposits her nicotine stained hoody in her ould wans basket next to the hotpoint spin-and-wash.

I imagine that the people using her as a pinata are themselves probably unemployed with lowly aspirations and have achieved little in their own life, which makes having someone beneath them to look down the easiest way of acquiring loftier position in society.
    There has to be someone at the bottom of the pecking order.

• Advertisement

Ah no. I know what you're trying to say and all but you're being a bit unfair to people.

People can only make a judgement on what's put in front of them. She agreed to be on the programme and she did some fairly stupid things. People are going to base their opinion of her on that. You're either basing your opinion of her to go against the grain or decided not to judge her based on a TV programme. If it's the latter, fair enough but don't expect everyone to be the same.

Personally, I think she has done some dumb things but she's not a bad mother. She's 20 for f**k sake. When I was 20, I knew nothing about anything but thought I knew everything. At least now I know I know nothing.

She's immature. She is dreadful with money. She's trying to live like a person of her age sometimes. But she goes out and works for a living and it is very, very hard having a kid. I'm in my 30s and my missus is a wonderful mother but I can't imagine how hard it is being in the position Shauna is in.

That said, I can see why people are judging her unfavourably. I don't think it's simply because she is a single mother. I'd bet most of the people judging her know what they'd consider great mothers who are single.

And that's the difference between the Magdalene days and this. Shauna is being judged harshly because she has done some dumb stuff on national TV not just because she is a single mother. Rightly or wrongly, she's left herself open to that sort of scrutiny by agreeing to be on the programme and by acting stupidly at times.

I hope she matures and that her daughter doesn't end up pregnant at 17 or 18 and makes something of herself like that young lad (Tommy) was trying to.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah no. I know what you're trying to say and all but you're being a bit unfair to people.

People can only make a judgement on what's put in front of them. She agreed to be on the programme and she did some fairly stupid things. People are going to base their opinion of her on that. You're either basing your opinion of her to go against the grain or decided not to judge her based on a TV programme. If it's the latter, fair enough but don't expect everyone to be the same.

Personally, I think she has done some dumb things but she's not a bad mother. She's 20 for f**k sake. When I was 20, I knew nothing about anything but thought I knew everything. At least now I know I know nothing.

She's immature. She is dreadful with money. She's trying to live like a person of her age sometimes. But she goes out and works for a living and it is very, very hard having a kid. I'm in my 30s and my missus is a wonderful mother but I can't imagine how hard it is being in the position Shauna is in.

That said, I can see why people are judging her unfavourably. I don't think it's simply because she is a single mother. I'd bet most of the people judging her know what they'd consider great mothers who are single.

And that's the difference between the Magdalene days and this. Shauna is being judged harshly because she has done some dumb stuff on national TV not just because she is a single mother. Rightly or wrongly, she's left herself open to that sort of scrutiny by agreeing to be on the programme and by acting stupidly at times.

I hope she matures and that her daughter doesn't end up pregnant at 17 or 18 and makes something of herself like that young lad (Tommy) was trying to.
    I must have been watching a different program. Out of the three episodes she must have had no more than 20 mins exposure and so far all I can gather is that she smokes cigarettes (ergo she's evil) she's immature (she is 20, most 20 year olds are out on the beer and riding anything that moves) and that she let her rubbish build up because she didn't have access to a bin service. Did I miss something in this program?
    I know some woeful parents and she would put them to shame. (and they are a lot older, not single an drink like fish but that's ok because I bet you know them too)

Despite all of these things, at her age in a town synonymous with unemployment she has managed to get a job and provide for her child in the best way she can and she's doing it on her own. She will learn as she grows how to do that better but it's about time people put the stick down and find something else to beat.

I must have been watching a different program. Out of the three episodes she must have had no more than 20 mins exposure and so far all I can gather is that she smokes cigarettes (ergo she's evil) she's immature (she is 20, most 20 year olds are out on the beer and riding anything that moves) and that she let her rubbish build up because she didn't have access to a bin service. Did I miss something in this program?
    I know some woeful parents and she would put them to shame. (and they are a lot older, not single an drink like fish but that's ok because I bet you know them too)

Despite all of these things, at her age in a town synonymous with unemployment she has managed to get a job and provide for her child in the best way she can and she's doing it on her own. She will learn as she grows how to do that better but it's about time people put the stick down and find something else to beat.

Seems my opinion is pretty close to yours if you read my post?

But people have seen a girl who:

1. Can't pay the ESB bill but can smoke and afford SKY Digital.
    2. Eats a lot of crap.
    3. Asks her kid to go outside while she and her friends smoke.
    4. Has her friends round to eat her out of house and home despite struggling for cash.
    5. Wakes up completely hungover the day of her kid's birthday.

That's just off the top of my head.

Don't be surprised when people judge her harshly. Unfair or not, she left herself open to it.

I also don't think that "most 20 year olds are out on the beer and riding anything that moves".

Follow anyone around with a camera, with the intention of portraying them in a certain way - you'll will get the stupid girl who got herself pregnant (all by herself). She's 20, she's doing a fairly good job in my estimation. If they had used the estate next to Ballybeg and looked at how the majority of 20 year students look after themselves and the property they reside in then this young girl would be elvated to a much heigher status.

I see a young girl who to me appears to be a lovely daughter, a good friend, a reliable employee and a very loving mother. She appears to really love her child, the child is well fed, well clothed, well thought about.

I see a young girl who was overwhelmed by moving into a new house on her won and fending for herself and her daughter, while trying to get over a relationship breakdown.

You can't really compare her to the young guy Tommy, he doesn't have a child.

After the intial learning curve the young mother is now managing to budget for her life and costs she will incur, this is of course expected of her but not its seems from anyone else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

By the way, if that girl is/was suffering from depression - as her mother believed she was - she should not have been let anywhere near a TV show like this. I'd imagine that opening your personal life up to public scrutiny would be something that would be strongly advised against for people considered depressed, or anyone being in any way mentally vulnerable.

On another note - was there any mention of why she moved out of her mother's house? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear any reference to that. Surely it would have been best for her to stay at her mother's home until she matured a bit.

Follow anyone around with a camera, with the intention of portraying them in a certain way - you'll will get the stupid girl who got herself pregnant (all by herself). She's 20, she's doing a fairly good job in my estimation. If they had used the estate next to Ballybeg and looked at how the majority of 20 year students look after themselves and the property they reside in then this young girl would be elvated to a much heigher status.

I see a young girl who to me appears to be a lovely daughter, a good friend, a reliable employee and a very loving mother. She appears to really love her child, the child is well fed, well clothed, well thought about.

I see a young girl who was overwhelmed by moving into a new house on her won and fending for herself and her daughter, while trying to get over a relationship breakdown.

You can't really compare her to the young guy Tommy, he doesn't have a child.

After the intial learning curve the young mother is now managing to budget for her life and costs she will incur, this is of course expected of her but not its seems from anyone else.

I agree with you and I haven't compared her to Tommy if you read my post. Hers is a very different situation.

But, if you go on TV in a programme like this and do some stupid stuff, you will be judged harshly for it. It's not fair but it's not right to say that judging her is similar to the Magdalene days.

Like I said above, I personally don't think she is a bad mother at all and I admire her for holding down a job and bringing up a baby at 20. The kid seems fairly well looked after and that's not an easy thing to do.

She sometimes does dumb things...don't most 20 year olds?

I agree with you and I haven't compared her to Tommy if you read my post. Hers is a very different situation.

But, if you go on TV in a programme like this and do some stupid stuff, you will be judged harshly for it. It's not fair but it's not right to say that judging her is similar to the Magdalene days.

Like I said above, I personally don't think she is a bad mother at all and I admire her for holding down a job and bringing up a baby at 20. The kid seems fairly well looked after and that's not an easy thing to do.

She sometimes does dumb things...don't most 20 year olds?

In the Magdalene days the young single mother was the first to be condemned, I don't think we moved that far as a society.

Of all the people on the show this young girl got the worst criticism and for what - learning how to live on her own, she made some mistakes but who hasn't, people just showed particular venom towards the single mother. She is young and silly at times but then who isn't - there are far worse things she could be

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

In the Magdalene days the young single mother was the first to be condemned, I don't think we moved that far as a society.

Of all the people on the show this young girl got the worst criticism and for what - learning how to live on her own, she made some mistakes but who hasn't, people just showed particular venom towards the single mother. She is young and silly at times but then who isn't - there are far worse things she could be

Rubbish. Read the criticism that the Halligans are getting.

To turn this into a "single mother" issue is pathetic. The criticism of her on here is nothing to do with her being a single parent.

But we have. In the Magdalene days, people were condemned purely for being single mothers. I don't believe that's why Shauna is getting the abuse she is getting. If she was with someone or married and did the stuff she did on camera, she would get the same abuse. She isn't being condemned just for being a single mother. The condemnation might be wrong, I think it is, but people are basing it on how they perceive her actions, not on her situation. That's the difference.

Likewise, if she was a single mother doing all the things that people think mothers should always do, I think people would praise her.

And she isn't getting the worst criticism. The Halligans are and deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Seems my opinion is pretty close to yours if you read my post?

But people have seen a girl who:

1. Can't pay the ESB bill but can smoke and afford SKY Digital.

She got behind on the ESB bill yes (who hasn't now and again?), but learned a lesson, got a meter (as many other people are doing) and stated that she had started getting much better with budgeting every week.

The smoking is a luxury, but so what? It's a stress relief mechanism for a lot of people, a mental crutch some people hang on to. Of course it would be better if she didn't smoke, but it's not like she's shooting heroin or something!

Not sure where it states what cable package she has, but any basic tv (either SKY or UPC) will cost around €27 a month, or just under €7 a week. Unfortunately cable TV is something we all have to pay for in this country, if we want to watch the television.
    2. Eats a lot of crap.

She's 20, probably not mastered the full culinary skills she should have, but seems to eat at her mam's a lot, so we don't really know what she eats every day. I know plenty of people not living in council estates who eat plenty of crap themselves. None of my business what anyone else eats.

3. Asks her kid to go outside while she and her friends smoke.

Would it be preferable if she smoked in front of her? Clearly the camera was set up in the living room, so that's where she had to sit. We later saw her smoking outside on the step.
    4. Has her friends round to eat her out of house and home despite struggling for cash.

She got a bollokcing from her mother over that. She probably enjoys having the company and her friends do seem to help her out a lot in other ways.
    5. Wakes up completely hungover the day of her kid's birthday.

She went to her cousin's 21st the night before, big whoopee! Parents are allowed the odd night out too and many of them manage just fine the next day with a hangover. How many parents here have never had a hangover the morning after a night out? She still got up and gave her daughter a lovely party.
    That's just off the top of my head.

Don't be surprised when people judge her harshly. Unfair or not, she left herself open to it.

I also don't think that "most 20 year olds are out on the beer and riding anything that moves".

I don't think the girl is perfect by any means, but the vitriol she's been getting on here is puzzling, compared to certain other people on the show who I thought came off far worse. Not saying you are one of the main offenders, btw, most of your posts have been fairly balanced, I just think people in general are being way too hard on her.

• Advertisement

She got behind on the ESB bill yes (who hasn't now and again?), but learned a lesson, got a meter (as many other people are doing) and stated that she had started getting much better with budgeting every week.

The smoking is a luxury, but so what? It's a stress relief mechanism for a lot of people, a mental crutch some people hang on to. Of course it would be better if she didn't smoke, but it's not like she's shooting heroin or something!

Not sure where it states what cable package she has, but any basic tv (either SKY or UPC) will cost around €27 a month, or just under €7 a week. Unfortunately cable TV is something we all have to pay for in this country, if we want to watch the television.

She's 20, probably not mastered the full culinary skills she should have, but seems to eat at her mam's a lot, so we don't really know what she eats every day. I know plenty of people not living in council estates who eat plenty of crap themselves. None of my business what anyone else eats.

Would it be preferable if she smoked in front of her? Clearly the camera was set up in the living room, so that's where she had to sit. We later saw her smoking outside on the step.

She got a bollokcing from her mother over that. She probably enjoys having the company and her friends do seem to help her out a lot in other ways.

She went to her cousin's 21st the night before, big whoopee! Parents are allowed the odd night out too and many of them manage just fine the next day with a hangover. How many parents here have never had a hangover the morning after a night out? She still got up and gave her daughter a lovely party.

I don't think the girl is perfect by any means, but the vitriol she's been getting on here is puzzling, compared to certain other people on the show who I thought came off far worse. Not saying you are one of the main offenders, btw, most of your posts have been fairly balanced, I just think people in general are being way too hard on her.

I agree with you in the main but 'reality' TV is always going to seize on stuff like this. People will judge you on what they see and if you leave yourself open to it, then you have to expect the abuse.

To be honest, I thought the smoking one was just wrong though. She should have gone out with her friends, not asked the kid to leave. I don't care where the camera was set up. That said, it isn't a hanging offence. I've seen an awful lot worse.

But we have. In the Magdalene days, people were condemned purely for being single mothers. I don't believe that's why Shauna is getting the abuse she is getting. If she was with someone or married and did the stuff she did on camera, she would get the same abuse. She isn't being condemned just for being a single mother. The condemnation might be wrong, I think it is, but people are basing it on how they perceive her actions, not on her situation. That's the difference.

Likewise, if she was a single mother doing all the things that people think mothers should always do, I think people would praise her.

And she isn't getting the worst criticism. The Halligans are and deservedly so.

We'll have to agree to differ, I baseing my opinion I things of read and heard people saying when discussing this programme.

If she was married or with someone she wouldn't have been picked, people perceive her actions in relation to her situation and this also applies to other people on the show.

A friend of mine thinks its an absolute disgrace that the young guy looking to attend CIT would spend €15 ever week in the bookies and then go to ST Vincent De Paul for help with his fees even though he was waiting for months to see if he got a place on this course.

We are all only human not perfect, I would see the €15 as the only leisure money he spent but he totally disagrees and can't beleive people are OK with this - perception is based and societies underlying values - single mothers are still fold devils in Ireland (IMO) the producers hit the nail on the head.

I don't know who the Halligans are but I wouldn't want to swop places with them in a millions years, people might do better appreciating how lucky they are, I am just glad I don't have their life. Any young boy born into a family with the attitude this family has is hugely disadvantaged from the start. Luck has alot to do with life.

We'll have to agree to differ, I baseing my opinion I things of read and heard people saying when discussing this programme.

If she was married or with someone she wouldn't have been picked, people perceive her actions in relation to her situation and this also applies to other people on the show.

A friend of mine thinks its an absolute disgrace that the young guy looking to attend CIT would spend €15 ever week in the bookies and then go to ST Vincent De Paul for help with his fees even though he was waiting for months to see if he got a place on this course.

We are all only human not perfect, I would see the €15 as the only leisure money he spent but he totally disagrees and can't beleive people are OK with this - perception is based and societies underlying values - single mothers are still fold devils in Ireland (IMO) the producers hit the nail on the head.

I don't know who the Halligans are but I wouldn't want to swop places with them in a millions years, people might do better appreciating how lucky they are, I am just glad I don't have their life. Any young boy born into a family with the attitude this family has is hugely disadvantaged from the start. Luck has alot to do with life.

We'll agree to disagree so except on your (very) last point. I agree that luck does have a lot to do with life but believe me, the Halligans are a horrible bunch of people.

I hope if your friend is having a pop that he/she gives up their free time to help young people like that young lad does. I have no problem with him betting €15 a week. Christ, give him a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

We'll agree to disagree so except on your (very) last point. I agree that luck does have a lot to do with life but believe me, the Halligans are a horrible bunch of people.

I hope if your friend is having a pop that he/she gives up their free time to help young people like that young lad does. I have no problem with him betting €15 a week. Christ, give him a break.

Shauna had cigarettes, Tommy had the few pound down at the Bookies, everyone has something.

In relation to the Halligans, someone told me the young lad featured, Dennis I think, was sent to prison again recently. Anyone know if that's true?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 marysirish

If I were from Ballybeg I would be more ashamed to be thought of as coming from a pool of thought which to this day still chastises women who have children out of wedlock and thinks of them as broken because of it. (thankfully, I'm not)

Well I am from Ballybeg and know we don't chastises woman who have kids out of wedlock, I do know the girls mother and what is it that someone else said the apple don't fall far from the tree, its got nothing to do with her having a child out of wedlock, it's got to do with all her moaning, no money , can't pay her bill e.t.c. but can go out drinking and buy fags, but saying that, just watched the rest of the show, the girl is depressed, who won't be after a breakup and then getting her own house and having to raise a child on her own and since the first show, it looks like she is trying to get things in order for her and her child and she is not the only one that has a backyard full with dirt, I know people who only go out drinking everyday and have money for fags and drink but have to borrow money to put food on the table, so I just hope she finds her way in life and teach her child how to be responsible, because we all make mistakes and we just hope that we learn from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

marysirish wrote: »
    Well I am from Ballybeg and know we don't chastises woman who have kids out of wedlock, I do know the girls mother and what someone else said the apple don't fall far from the tree, its got nothing to do with having a child out of wedlock, it's got to do with all her moaning, no money , can't pay her bill e.t.c. but can go out drinking and but fags, instead of doing the things she has to do.

What a bitchy comment. She came across as a genuinely lovely, respectable woman to me, who has a really close, loving relationship with her daughter.

I suppose you never went out once in a while or struggled with bills when you first set up home? I'm guessing not.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Shauna had cigarettes, Tommy had the few pound down at the Bookies, everyone has something.

In relation to the Halligans, someone told me the young lad featured, Dennis I think, was sent to prison again recently. Anyone know if that's true?

I will ask, my family still lives there (one of the good family's haha)
    As far as anyone there knows he hasn't been sent back to prison.
    He is working now and keeping out of trouble, that is what I heard.

What a bitchy comment. She came across as a genuinely lovely, respectable woman to me, who has a really close, loving relationship with her daughter.

I suppose you never went out once in a while or struggled with bills when you first set up home? I'm guessing not.

You guessed good and if you think it is a bitchy comment thats your right, I know the family and I didn't go out once in a while, I also had my bad times but I paid my bills and put food on the table I didn't go out and drink it, I have kids to think about and they come first and I don't even drink, I don't need drink to enjoy myself so NO I didn't go out when there was no money.
    Even when I do have the money where I can go out I don't go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

you must have been watching a different programme!!! Shauna DID have access to a bin collection service...in fact shauna was entitled to a waiver!!! shauna was too lazy to apply!!!! ffs!!!!!....and just to finish up, do you think it's alright to dump DIRTY NAPPIES in your back garden????!!! immaturity my backside!!!! i bet you wouldn't be so sympathetic if Shauna lived next door to you, and your family caught an illness due to her "immaturity""???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

you must have been watching a different programme!!! Shauna DID have access to a bin collection service...in fact shauna was entitled to a waiver!!! shauna was too lazy to apply!!!! ffs!!!!!....and just to finish up, do you think it's alright to dump DIRTY NAPPIES in your back garden????!!! immaturity my backside!!!! i bet you wouldn't be so sympathetic if Shauna lived next door to you, and your family caught an illness due to her "immaturity""???!!!

I don't know if she was all the way lazy, it could be argued that due to her depression she just let the bins spiral out of control and never saw them as a priority and we saw the result last night. She may not have known about the waiver originally either. I'm willing to cut her some slack anyway, if indeed she has depression it's an awful thing to deal with.

Also, in my student life I've seen houses that bad for rubbish when visiting friends and stuff. It could take only two weeks to get really bad. I've also lived next door to someone who was worse than Shauna. I'll agree with you about the dangers of that much rubbish though. A few calls to the council and the neighbor was told to sort it out, which they did thankfully.

Advertisement