Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV3 Programme 'The Estate' in Ballybeg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

ziedth wrote: »
    For example my favourite documentary ever made is about a guy trying to break a donkey Kong video game record (King of Kong, if you haven't seen it check it out)

Zeidth

I just checked out that "King of Kong". Its pretty cool. The guy Steve Wiebe seemed a nice guy. On the other hand Billy Mitchell (Who was a total pr1ck) and his drones especially thay guy Brian Kuh were douchebags :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

An entire series based in Waterford? I suppose that puts the whole argument about Waterford being ignored by national broadcasters to bed anyway, thank God!

Except for the publicly funded one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Zeidth

I just checked out that "King of Kong". Its pretty cool. The guy Steve Wiebe seemed a nice guy. On the other hand Billy Mitchell (Who was a total pr1ck) and his drones especially thay guy Brian Kuh were douchebags :D

If you think thats good check out : Exit Through the Gift Shop

Another really good documentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

Ya, I think a different fella altogether beat the record since but i remember actually cheering at the end of it. It really is brilliant, it really shows how a documentary doesn't need shock content or controversy to be entertaining.

TV3 and CH4 could learn a thing or two from it.

Sorry to be getting off topic but you should check out "Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade" if you haven't already. It has many of the same people filmed after King of Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

JenniFurr wrote: »
    Sorry to be getting off topic but you should check out "Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade" if you haven't already. It has many of the same people filmed after King of Kong.

Great documentary aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Oh the threads on this show are gonna be epic, can't fecking wait!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 funk junky

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows when this show is meant to start. I'm in London at the mo but will get someone to record it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

funk junky wrote: »
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows when this show is meant to start. I'm in London at the mo but will get someone to record it for me

From September till November is usually the Autumn Schedule IIRC, keep an eye on the forum here I'm sure we'll have a thread up with plenty of time to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

funk junky wrote: »

From September till November is usually the Autumn Schedule IIRC, keep an eye on the forum here I'm sure we'll have a thread up with plenty of time to spare.

I wouldn't really say that it'll just be between those 3 months. Tv3 autumn schedule is really for their next 12 months of programming. There were a lot of programmes in the 2011 launch that weren't shown at all and were again talked about in the 2012 launch.

They prob didn't have time to slot them in inbetween such hardhitting documentaries like 'Ireland's worst roads'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 darylryan

S28382 wrote: »
    Do you think that if the documentary was in any other housing estate that may seem more well off then Ballybeg that you would of mentioned anything about gypsy weddings or drugs?

WAS JUST DOING A BIT OF RESEARCH ABOUT THE PROGRAMMES " THE EDGE OF TOWN " FEATURING BALLYBEG. AND CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM.
    CAN I BE THE FIRST TO ACTUALY DEFEND THIS PROGRAMME AND BALLYBEG. I AM ACTUALY ONE OF THE RESEARCH ASSISTANTS AND EDITORS FOR THE SERIES. I AM ASLO FROM BALLYBEG. THE SHOW IS ACTUALY BASED MAINLY ON FOLOWING FAMILIES WITH DIFFERENT STRUGGLES. - FOR EXAMPLE ONE YOUNG SINGLE MOTHER WHO GOT LEFT GO FROM HER JOB AND HER EFFORTS TO SECURE EMPLOYMENT TO KEEP HER AND HER DAUGHTER IN CLOTHES FOOD AND SHELTER. ANOTHER STORY ABOUT A FAMILY WHO HAS A YOUNG BOY WITH A RARE DISABILITY AND THEIR STRUGGLES AND BATTLES WITH THE CITY COUNCIL TO GET PROPER ACCOMADATION FOR HIM. THE PROGRAMME IS ACTUALLY ABOUT THE POSSITIVES MORE SO THAN THE NEGATIVES AND IS ACTUALY NOTHING TO DO WITH DRUGS AND SUCH LIKE THIS. FOR ONCE A SHOW IS ACTUALY FEATURING BALLYBEG FOR ALL THE POSSITIVE THINGS AND NOT THE SMALL BAD THINGS. -- RANT OVER .. THANKS FOR READING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

darylryan wrote: »
    WAS JUST DOING A BIT OF RESEARCH ABOUT THE PROGRAMMES " THE EDGE OF TOWN " FEATURING BALLYBEG. AND CAME ACROSS THIS FORUM.
    CAN I BE THE FIRST TO ACTUALY DEFEND THIS PROGRAMME AND BALLYBEG. I AM ACTUALY ONE OF THE RESEARCH ASSISTANTS AND EDITORS FOR THE SERIES. I AM ASLO FROM BALLYBEG. THE SHOW IS ACTUALY BASED MAINLY ON FOLOWING FAMILIES WITH DIFFERENT STRUGGLES. - FOR EXAMPLE ONE YOUNG SINGLE MOTHER WHO GOT LEFT GO FROM HER JOB AND HER EFFORTS TO SECURE EMPLOYMENT TO KEEP HER AND HER DAUGHTER IN CLOTHES FOOD AND SHELTER. ANOTHER STORY ABOUT A FAMILY WHO HAS A YOUNG BOY WITH A RARE DISABILITY AND THEIR STRUGGLES AND BATTLES WITH THE CITY COUNCIL TO GET PROPER ACCOMADATION FOR HIM. THE PROGRAMME IS ACTUALLY ABOUT THE POSSITIVES MORE SO THAN THE NEGATIVES AND IS ACTUALY NOTHING TO DO WITH DRUGS AND SUCH LIKE THIS. FOR ONCE A SHOW IS ACTUALY FEATURING BALLYBEG FOR ALL THE POSSITIVE THINGS AND NOT THE SMALL BAD THINGS. -- RANT OVER .. THANKS FOR READING

maybe you could find the Caps-Lock on your keyboard, turn it off, and perhaps re-write the above so it is easier to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Bards wrote: »
    maybe you could find the Caps-Lock on your keyboard, turn it off, and perhaps re-write the above so it is easier to read?
    Yea because that is WAY more important than the content of the post!:rolleyes:
    I found it easy to read.....another backseat mod eh?

As someone from another southeast county i am aware of the alleged negitive reputation that Ballybeg has.
    I for one will be tuning in to see TV3's version of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

darylryan wrote: »

If that's the case I'll be delighted. Those two examples are the kind of stories I was hoping for. Because if edited in the right way I'd say they could make most city estates look like 8 mile road. Have you got an Air date yet?

And welcome to boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

One of the lads was interviewed this week at his house , He Said they are portraying ballybeg very badly and asking he lives here day to day . He also said they went to a house for an interview and were told that the camera would be rammed up there arse if come near them with the camera and the Cameramen said they were recording and will show the footage >:)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭shebzie

What date is this show starting i caint find any info on it.

iseegirls wrote: »
    From TV3's Autumn Press Release today:

Does anyone have any more details? Should be an interesting watch. Wonder have they started filming already.

Yes they have been filiming since june and will continue to film until febuary.

shebzie wrote: »
    What date is this show starting i caint find any info on it.

not sure of exact dates yet. but it will be aired for march or april .. all going well dat is.

Just seen that The Estate will start on Monday 8th April at 9pm.

Taken from digiguide:
    Join us as real life unfolds across this brand new three-part rollercoaster series on TV3. This ambitious, observational documentary is located in Ballybeg, a sprawling housing estate on the outskirts of Waterford City with a tough reputation. Filmed over a year, cameras go behind closed doors and watch as residents live out their everyday lives, coping with the harsh reality of life's twists and turns, moments of triumph and despair, yet still looking beyond the boundaries of the estate and seeking out opportunities that might bring a brighter future. Episode one spends time with fun loving Shauna (21), a young single Mum who is struggling to pay the bills. Having missed out on further education, due to motherhood, Shauna is coming to terms with the harsh reality of being a single parent and having to stand on her own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CorkGirl90

The Estate is starting monday night (8th April) does anyone know if this will be repeated any other night during the week please??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maltese falcon11

This was filmed there recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpzlauLfBSE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CorkGirl90 wrote: »
    The Estate is starting monday night (8th April) does anyone know if this will be repeated any other night during the week please??

It will likely be available to watch on three player on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Will reserve final judgement until I see it but I hope they do Ballybeg some justice and don't just portray it as and estate full of scumbags.

Not going to be patronising and say "99% of the people are great" because neither I or anyone else knows that to be the case. There are probably a higher percentage of scumbags in Ballybeg than most other places in Waterford. People might not like me saying that but it's true.

That said, there are a lot of really good people from and living in Ballybeg and I hope that side gets portrayed as much as the undesirable element. Otherwise, the programme will carry absolutely no credibility.

There were two girls from the show on Midweek last night.

They represented the area very well and mentioned how much Ballybeg has changed for the better over the last couple of years, and the clips from the programme show that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

They represented the area very well and mentioned how much Ballybeg has changed for the better over the last couple of years, and the clips from the programme show that too.

Glad to hear it. Sounds promising so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ballybegkid

What changes are these exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

What changes are these exactly?

Are you disagreeing that it's changed for the better? You clearly don't remember it in the '80s...

Anyway, I'll see if I can attempt to answer the question:

- Most households have cars
    - Ditto internet/PlayStation/XBox, etc.
    - Ditto central heating, double glazing
    - The number of people hanging around in a threatening manner on the corners has declined to the point where it's safe almost all of the time to walk through the area
    - New Tesco
    - New playground (not vandalised!)
    - New Kilbarry Park nearby
    - That new horticultural enterprise (I forget what it's called, but it can't be half bad if it's one of the suppliers that La Bohème mention on their menu!)

Things aren't perfect there, but they've improved immeasurably from when I was a kid (I didn't grow up there, but I knew a few people from there and Lismore Park when I was in primary, and my Granny lived in Larchville).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ballybegkid

Internet / Playstation / Xbox are only new to ballybeg are they?
    New playground?
    only recent thing that most people have cars?
    I'm from there and lived there all my life and these aren't things mention last night..They mentioned an educational project , youth club etc that have been in the area for years.
    Did I say it hasnt changed for better? I asked changes they mentioned which aren't new developements.
    It has a bad rep cause of certain people but every area has people like that but Ballybeg gets the bad name when its not deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I suggest that the council take over one of these ghost estates. Then get all the troublemakers from the other estates Like Ballybeg, Larchville, Lisduggan etc and dump them in the ghost estate.

Let them steal from each other, let them kick seven shades of shíte out of each other for all I care, just keep them away from the rest of us normal folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

fricatus wrote: »
    Are you disagreeing that it's changed for the better? You clearly don't remember it in the '80s...

Anyway, I'll see if I can attempt to answer the question:

- Most households have cars
    - Ditto internet/PlayStation/XBox, etc.

Probably not the greatest way to start your argument....
    no area had Xbox's or playstations in the 80's...
    and its a better area because more people have cars? that's quite a snobby remark to measure prosperity of an area on how many cars are driving around it!!!

The Tesco is great but really all it did was take from the one is Lisduggan a whole ten minutes away which, in my opinion of a recent trip, has gone down the hill and off a cliff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

This was filmed there recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpzlauLfBSE

Im taking it you are implying that the people of Ballybeg are like the 3 lads at the door or am i just not getting your humour?

Advertisement