Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV3 Programme 'The Estate' in Ballybeg

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I suggest that the council take over one of these ghost estates. Then get all the troublemakers from the other estates Like Ballybeg, Larchville, Lisduggan etc and dump them in the ghost estate.

Let them steal from each other, let them kick seven shades of shíte out of each other for all I care, just keep them away from the rest of us normal folk.

Dont forget the students in Templars hall :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Probably not the greatest way to start your argument....
    no area had Xbox's or playstations in the 80's...

Obviously...

My point is that most households in Ballybeg have access today to a range of home entertainment devices that were simply unheard of in the 1980s.

The main reason of course has nothing to do with Ballybeg, or Waterford, or even Ireland - and that's the fall in the cost of consumer electronics (plus the increase in their quality) in the past 20-30 years. Also though, incomes in this country, despite the recession, are much higher than back then, whether you're talking someone on the dole or in work - to the extent that even someone on the dole can afford some sort of good quality games console.

The effect of this is that any idle hands that are around the place, instead of doing the Devil's work, can play Gears of Doom XI all day to their heart's content - and that's surely an improvement for anyone who would have otherwise been the target of those idle hands!

and its a better area because more people have cars? that's quite a snobby remark to measure prosperity of an area on how many cars are driving around it!!!

Ah here, take that chip off your shoulder for a second. Cars come together with increased wealth the world over - there's nothing "snobby" at all about that observation! It's a whole other argument as to whether their costs outweigh their benefits, but I'm sure you'll agree that a person's life is made easier when they can drive to a supermarket rather than having to walk there and carry the shopping back - particularly in a cold and wet country like this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Important note that when this airs there are to be no personal insults about anyone in the show.

Simply put don't say anything that you wouldn't say to their face and everything will be fine.

Bans will be handed out without further warning to anyone who breaks this. Might seem harsh but we had a headache with something similar before so im nipping it in the budd now.

Now, I'm still incredibly dubious that this isn't going to be anything other than a big fat gypsy wedding style send up.

That isn't me making any kind of a statement on ballybeg I just don't trust these type of shows to show a fair picture. I hope I'm wrong I really do as I'm sure that there are great stories to be told and might help the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

fricatus wrote: »
    Obviously...

My point is that most households in Ballybeg have access today to a range of home entertainment devices that were simply unheard of in the 1980s.

The main reason of course has nothing to do with Ballybeg, or Waterford, or even Ireland - and that's the fall in the cost of consumer electronics (plus the increase in their quality) in the past 20-30 years. Also though, incomes in this country, despite the recession, are much higher than back then, whether you're talking someone on the dole or in work - to the extent that even someone on the dole can afford some sort of good quality games console.

The effect of this is that any idle hands that are around the place, instead of doing the Devil's work, can play Gears of Doom XI all day to their heart's content - and that's surely an improvement for anyone who would have otherwise been the target of those idle hands!

Ah here, take that chip off your shoulder for a second. Cars come together with increased wealth the world over - there's nothing "snobby" at all about that observation! It's a whole other argument as to whether their costs outweigh their benefits, but I'm sure you'll agree that a person's life is made easier when they can drive to a supermarket rather than having to walk there and carry the shopping back - particularly in a cold and wet country like this one!

Honestly none of your observations are relevant specifically to ballybeg whatsoever but to everywhere.
    So you feel that sitting inside playing a game and on the dole is the life this community has ? As well as recommending that its the right one to have ?
    Ignorance must be bliss for you mate ! :)

What 'chip' would you be referring to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gagonmine

I was born are reared in Ballybeg and damn proud to call it home, I admit I have lived away for many years but do get home there as much as I can, so I dont see the day to day of what Ballybeg like today, but I have alot of family living there, but I can tell you Ballybeg made me the decent hardworking business owner I am today, It was a great estate to grow up in with such a great spirit and sense of community I havw never experienced anywhere I have lived in the world. Like any other estate in this land there is 5-10% of people who give every estate a bad name. I just hope this programme shows the great community that Ballybeg, and the amazing neighbours people have there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Have to say i never saw a camera around ballybeg just once on the outter ring road just after ballycashin rounabout on a lay by with cameras getting a pan shot of Ballybeg, was wondering at the time what that range rover was doing there with cameras and 3 people, guess i know now!

gagonmine wrote: »
    I was born are reared in Ballybeg and damn proud to call it home, I admit I have lived away for many years but do get home there as much as I can, so I dont see the day to day of what Ballybeg like today, but I have alot of family living there, but I can tell you Ballybeg made me the decent hardworking business owner I am today, It was a great estate to grow up in with such a great spirit and sense of community I havw never experienced anywhere I have lived in the world. Like any other estate in this land there is 5-10% of people who give every estate a bad name. I just hope this programme shows the great community that Ballybeg, and the amazing neighbours people have there.

What year was it you grew up in Ballybeg and how long is it since you lived there? just out of interest?

Does anybody think they can hit the nail on the head as to why it has such a bad rep and would any of you have any problems walking through there at night with an Iphone in your hand, this isnt sh't stirring just an honest question! and thats to people who werent born and bred there, people who live there are known and there may be consequences for beating up someone who is known in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gagonmine

I was born there in 1980 lived there till I was 19 moved away for a year, moved back home, moved away when I was 22 for 2 years, moved back, moved away in 2005 for 4 years and was back living there for a year then.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

Obviously...

Things are better in Ballybeg because they have cars and xboxes?!

Stop the lights.

Pseudo-intellectual reductionism - at its finest.

The times have moved on, obviously. You didn't expect Ballybeg to be stuck in some time-warp did you? A greater measure of "improvement" would be how Ballybeg has moved along in comparison to the more affluent areas of Waterford. You know, places where x-boxes and cars aren't needed to stop residents running out into other neighbourhoods and doing the 'Devils work' - or whatever else you might be implying.

I'm sure many things have improved in Ballybeg, but the stigma and snobbery used when talking about it obviously hasn't.

Right so that documentary was about 3 people in Clonard/Ardmore..... thats hardly representitive of Ballybeg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Ahh I expected more about the great things that have developed out there which we somewhat got a glimpse of through Tommy... Fair play to that boy he's the only one worth watching on it and is proof not to cast everyone with the same stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

What year was it you grew up in Ballybeg and how long is it since you lived there? just out of interest?

Does anybody think they can hit the nail on the head as to why it has such a bad rep and would any of you have any problems walking through there at night with an Iphone in your hand, this isnt sh't stirring just an honest question! and thats to people who werent born and bred there, people who live there are known and there may be consequences for beating up someone who is known in the area!

Firstly just to state ..
    I am not from ballybeg , I've never lived in ballybeg .

But .... I can say this ..
    In reply to your question.
    Yes I would have no problem walking through ballybeg at any time day or night with a iPhone or anything else for that matter .
    I can't quite get my head around WHY ballybeg has such a bad reputation .. It's no different to other council estates , I know a lot o people from there and they are all decent decent people .
    And actually after just watching the first episode of the show its just reconfirmed my thoughts on ballybeg .

Yes no doubt there are some unruley kids , some troublesome families , drugs drink etc ... But all these issues are in every estate , these problems are everywhere .
    What has really become apparent from the how tonight is how close the residents are as a community .
    I get a amazing sense of community from that show .
    And to be honest .. I live on what some might call"a posh estate " and there is no sense of community spirit , people are just constantly trying to "keep up with the joneses here " ...

Everyone involved on that shoe should be immensely proud of theirselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

S28382 wrote: »
    Right so that documentary was about 3 people in Clonard/Ardmore..... thats hardly representitive of Ballybeg.

I watched it alright. Was about as good as I hoped it would be. those interviewed seemed genuine and didnt play up for the camera and did really well. If more 19 year olds were like that young fella volunteering in the youth club the city would be a better place.

Having said that, I think the show will be savaged on Billy McCarthy in the morning. and probably rightly so in some cases. There are professionals in the area with great jobs not to mention countless people who have perfectly good work. The programme did really give the impression the whole estate was on the Dole.

Not to mention all the work the community does out there to better the area. Would have been nice to interview someone involved with that.

ziedth wrote: »
    I watched it alright. Was about as good as I hoped it would be. those interviewed seemed genuine and didnt play up for the camera and did really well. If more 19 year olds were like that young fella volunteering in the youth club the city would be a better place.

Having said that, I think the show will be savaged on Billy McCarthy in the morning. and probably rightly so in some cases. There are professionals in the area with great jobs not to mention countless people who have perfectly good work. The programme did really give the impression the whole estate was on the Dole.

Not to mention all the work the community does out there to better the area. Would have been nice to interview someone involved with that.

Yeah i bet Billy will have some show in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭cassette50

The girl complaining about being broke but still having enough to pay for a Sky TV package and fags.

Also smoking indoors with a kid around - great example to set.

Billy I was seething with anger.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

cassette50 wrote: »
    The girl complaining about being broke but still having enough to pay for a Sky TV package and fags.

Billy I was seething with anger.....

This is just typical of the lower orders, money for everything except food and light I tell ya!.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

cassette50 wrote: »

smoking in bed is not a great idea either!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I thought I detected a sneery tone to the programme, some of the camera shots of the food people were eating, and what pictures and items they had in their homes. I'm not from Waterford, but did a FAS course there many years ago, and was 'advised' not to look for digs in Ballybeg. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭duinegorm

Thewife wrote: »
    Everyone involved on that shoe should be immensely proud of theirselves

Apart from the lad who robbed houses.

duinegorm wrote: »
    Apart from the lad who robbed houses.

They had the woman on who lived in a shoe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭duinegorm

Why did you quote my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtkq62PVfEI

• Registered Users Posts: 36 marysirish

Bards wrote: »
    maybe you could find the Caps-Lock on your keyboard, turn it off, and perhaps re-write the above so it is easier to read?

Maybe if you put your glasses on you can read it :D

Are you disagreeing that it's changed for the better? You clearly don't remember it in the '80s...

Anyway, I'll see if I can attempt to answer the question:

- Most households have cars
    - Ditto internet/PlayStation/XBox, etc.
    - Ditto central heating, double glazing
    - The number of people hanging around in a threatening manner on the corners has declined to the point where it's safe almost all of the time to walk through the area
    - New Tesco
    - New playground (not vandalised!)
    - New Kilbarry Park nearby
    - That new horticultural enterprise (I forget what it's called, but it can't be half bad if it's one of the suppliers that La Bohème mention on their menu!)

Things aren't perfect there, but they've improved immeasurably from when I was a kid (I didn't grow up there, but I knew a few people from there and Lismore Park when I was in primary, and my Granny lived in Larchville).

I'm sorry, I lived in Ballybeg in the '80s and yes
    Most households have cars
    Ditto internet/PlayStation/XBox, etc.
    Ditto central heating, double glazing and
    a New Tesco,a New playground and
    New Kilbarry Park nearby,
    There are still good people living there, my family still lives there,
    but then you have the people where the council wants to get rid of fast and they give them a house in Ballybeg.
    Not all the people are the same, I lived up the road from people who are called trouble makers and I think they where also really good people,if you had a problem or you needed help all you had to do was ask and they would always help you, and then if one started to help others would join in.
    I think it is ridiculous the people they chose to do this program, but if they want to show every thing about Ballybeg then they should show the good and the bad things.If they want to make Ballybeg a better place then the Garda there should start doing something, instead of letting the people get away with everything because they are to frightened to go out and do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

For anyone who missed it last night. Its on the 3player now.

gagonmine wrote: »

Hi, I was talking to my sister last night and I'm afraid what they showed was not what we hoped for, I also come from Ballybeg and also dame proud to call it home, but I see how the things have changed over the year, when we where living there it was good and it did have a great spirit, I remember all the kids would go out and play together and it didn't matter where you came from or who you where, and it's still like that and with that I could also tell a few stories about the rest of the places in Waterford a few years ago and not all nice. So I would just like to say,
    I AM PROUD TO BE FROM BALLYBEG and people if you don't like the area then just don't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

The problem is that we need to stop rewarding children for having children, it's not just in Waterford every estate has them, a classic example of the mother being a mother at 17 and then the daughter has a kid at 17.
    The young men get away scott free leaving young girls to raise the kids.
    I always thought it is totally unjust that married couples are discriminated against compared to unmarried girls, the daughter of one of the lads at work is married has a kid and they are paying €900 a month on rent and are trying to save to buy a house , why don't they get rent allowance.
    One final point, if the girl doesn't name the father on the birth cert no welfare payments and when the father is named stop half his welfare payments and give them to the mother, it might stop young men getting girls pregnant.

I suppose I was left feeling sad after watching the show and how people live their lives without any sense of responsibility as citizens, it's all about entitlement and not responsibility.

I am sure there are lots of hard working people on the estate as well and I feel more sorry for them that they are dragged down by wasters.

I was born and lived in Ballybeg and I am proud of it. When I hear the stories and watch the news I think of the stories I heard when I was younger, but it was kept under the hat because it happened on an what you call posh estate.
    The difference is the people in Ballybeg if they do something they say yes we done and they don't give other people the blame, just like "Thewife" said, there is a sense of community, if you have a problem all you have to do is ask someone to help you and before you know it the hole street is helping you, also the people that are so called trouble makers, all the kids play together yes they fight but what child don't fight. Where I'm living now, if I'm walking down the street to go to the shop and someone passes me, if I say good morning it's like you said something wrong, but if you say good morning to someone in Ballybeg, they will say good morning back to you. The problem is, that to many people have heard bad stories about Ballybeg that when they go there they look down at people and yes then you have a problem. Treat people the way you would like to be treated and not from the place they come from, because you heard bad stories about that place, because everywhere in Waterford has a bad story to tell.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mcko wrote: »
    The problem is that we need to stop rewarding children for having children, it's not just in Waterford every estate has them, a classic example of the mother being a mother at 17 and then the daughter has a kid at 17.

imho its a case of doing what they see, why would the daughter think its not the norm when the mother did it?

Also research has also shown that in cases of a siblings getting pregnant other younger siblings in the family have a higher chance of getting pregnant...especially if the family is poor.

Source: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232473.php

This essentially ensures that in the long term history repeats itself over and over, children having children.
    One final point, if the girl doesn't name the father on the birth cert no welfare payments and when the father is named stop half his welfare payments and give them to the mother, it might stop young men getting girls pregnant.

Do you mean no payments to the guy or girl if the father isn't named?

Often some women will not name the father out of spite on the birth cert, almost as revenge.

In such instances I'm not sure how it works payment wise from the father but it would be crazy to expect the father to pay anything towards the child if the mother won't even accept he's the father by putting his name on the cert.

Its also worth nothing that in some instances the father may want to be part of the child's life but the mother may prevent it,

Irish law very much lacks in this regard and unless the mother really abuses the child and this is proven in court she will get far more rights to the child then the father ever will....

Its unfair to label every lad as getting a girl pregnant and then just doing a runner, at the end of the day it takes two to tango and often very poor choices are made by both sides when it comes to living afterwards and the wellfair of the child.

• Advertisement

mcko wrote: »
    The young men get away scott free leaving young girls to raise the kids.
    I always thought it is totally unjust that married couples are discriminated against compared to unmarried girls, the daughter of one of the lads at work is married has a kid and they are paying €900 a month on rent and are trying to save to buy a house , why don't they get rent allowance.

I suppose I was left feeling sad after watching the show and how people live their lives without any sense of responsibility as citizens, it's all about entitlement and not responsibility.

I am sure there are lots of hard working people on the estate as well and I feel more sorry for them that they are dragged down by wasters.

Wasters is not the word I would use, they are just trying to get along, stop the welfare payments :( what do you think will then happen the mother don't get any money the father don't give a sh*t so the mother brakes into a shop because they need food for the kids, that's not the way it works, give the kids better education, help the kids, let them talk to someone that has been though it so they can tell their side of the story and hope it helps, and if they really want to help then first help the parents, you do have family that don't want any help because they think they can do it on their own, nothing you can do about that, but their are a lot of families that would love the help and don't get it, because the council is to busy giving the money out on things they do need, come on how many shops do you need, how many car parks do you need, if its not one thing its the other, instead of throwing away money on things they don't need give it to schools, community work shop, help the people instead of throwing them in a corner and forgetting about them.

Advertisement