Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV3 Programme 'The Estate' in Ballybeg

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Just wonder why they picked Ballybeg, I can think better stories from some of the estates in Limerick or Dublin.
    Better stories but probably a hell of alot rougher and definitely more dangerous to film for a year. Ballybeg is no where near as bad as some of the council estates in Dublin or Limerick, and even saying that I can think of a one or two estates around Waterford that are far worse off than Ballybeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Funny you should mention that. I said the same thing to my wife . Shes not from Waterford and she argued with me that it sounded like a Waterford accent to her.
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    Just a minor point but how come the jailbird speaks with a Rubber Bandit accent? If I'd had to guess where he was from the last place I would have thought was Waterford. Is this some kind of defence mechanism you have to adopt when in jail? (not that I have any immediate plans for going to jail but times are tough you never know....)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

Just a minor point but how come the jailbird speaks with a Rubber Bandit accent? If I'd had to guess where he was from the last place I would have thought was Waterford. Is this some kind of defence mechanism you have to adopt when in jail? (not that I have any immediate plans for going to jail but times are tough you never know....)
    I'm wondering this myself. I'm thinking either two reasons for it.

1 - I actually know a kind of ex scumbag (guy that has done some scummy stuff in his life but looking to change after being in rehab etc) and strangely he sounds alot like the jailbird. This guy is living in Waterford all his life. I'm thinking this is an accent that certain people develop to seem tougher maybe??

2 - Being in prison for 8 years hanging around guys with various accents has changed his own accent??

Just some thoughts. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Thats true about the accents.. I know a guy who's whole family are plain ans simple scumbags.. he isnt to a degree.. but he talks like that, in fairness I think its a bit of settled traveller accent in there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

savic04 wrote: »
    Thats true about the accents.. I know a guy who's whole family are plain ans simple scumbags.. he isnt to a degree.. but he talks like that, in fairness I think its a bit of settled traveller accent in there....

If your on about the lad that was in jail he isnt a traveller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I know who he is...

I was talking about the accents..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

OOOh right.....yes his accent is mad a real deep Waterford accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I enjoyed the show :o at least it wasn't another repeat on TV3 and move over Tallafornia, Ballybeg is where the party is at now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Meatwad wrote: »
    Better stories but probably a hell of alot rougher and definitely more dangerous to film for a year. Ballybeg is no where near as bad as some of the council estates in Dublin or Limerick, and even saying that I can think of a one or two estates around Waterford that are far worse off than Ballybeg.

Dublin has over 500 estates worse than ballybeg, I think this was a novelty for the Dublin population to see what a rough estate outside Dublin looks like. Theyre all Kittens in Ballybeg compared to what ive seen and witnessed first hand in Dublin. There are places there that you seriously do not want to drive through and thats not being dramatic.

Oh and most people think the place they grew up in is a great place to live, thats natural cos youve spent alot of times there and in your memory the good outweights the bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I lived in Ballybeg Park for 11 years and then moved to the Inner City and would say this area is definitely far worse than the older half of Ballybeg..

• Advertisement

They could have filmed in any council estate in Ireland and the story would be the same pretty much everywhere.

Best of luck to the lad looking to get to college and the lad just out of jail too, they seemed like they want to do better for themselves so fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

mcko wrote: »
    I think most people agree that the majority of people in these estates are ok, it's the minority that people have a problem with when all they do is suck the system dry and will never put anything back.
    Look at the feller with the animals in the garden, I bet he never worked a day in his life.

Why would you assume because he had animals that he never worked a day in he's life ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

If I am not mistaken he said that he was from Thurles or at least his ex girlfriend and mother of his 2 kids were living at home in Thurles. North Tipp close to Limerick perhaps with a little scanger thrown in for good measure.

Thewife wrote: »
    Why would you assume because he had animals that he never worked a day in he's life ?

I think he was saying that to let you know who he was talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I would bet my house he never worked a day in his life and his kids look like they will suck the system dry as well.

I would bet my house he never worked a day in his life and his kids look like they will suck the system dry as well.

If you researched your facts you would know
    A that was not his house where the animals were .
    B those were not he's kids ..

My next question is .
    Why from the look of those kids do you Assume they would bleed the system dry ?

And

How can you be sure that man has never ever worked ?

I wouldn't bet my house of I was you .....

Well if you know then where did he work and all you have to do is look at them to see they are no future welfare customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

Speaks volumes that even kids briefly appearing on this show are knocked down before they even get a chance.

If you are going to pontificate about the life choices of adults, fine, but give the kids a break.

They don't choose where to grow up, much of their lives are chosen for them and you can't blame them for trusting those who look out for them. If they were relying on some of the posters in this thread for support and encouragement, they'd be a long time waiting.

Maybe they feel proud of where they come from and value the love and support they've gotten from their friends and families all their lives. To get on in life, they're probably going to need to dig deep into those reserves, because in this city they'd be going against the grain to do anything good enough for those looking on from their ivory towers.

If you're all so worried about your tax money, why don't you volunteer some of your time and energy into making this city what you'd want it to be?

..or is Ballybeg meant to magically sort out its problems in a vacuum?

Quick to judge, slow to help.

My Reading of this?

..TV3 put on sensationalised programme to give the middle classes something to complain about, and the upper classes something to be shocked by. Nothing changes.

Resume normal transmission.

Not blaming the kids, feel sorry for them, this is why we need to stop rewarding children for having children, everyone loses in these situations.
    This is why my son is going to a private school next year.

Not blaming the kids, feel sorry for them, this is why we need to stop rewarding children for having children, everyone loses in these situations.
    This is why my son is going to a private school next year.

Enlighten me as to who is being rewarded for having kids??

The way you go on, you'd swear you were actually jealous.

These "kids having kids", they are getting to bare minimum to get by, and if you think otherwise, you show how far removed you are from reality. The government has been putting people under the poverty line for years now - even in the height of the Celtic tiger, welfare payments were not comparable to what was deemed necessary to be above the poverty line in this country. The wealth and employment opportunities that passed through this country during those years were not anyway equally distributed, and the South East was one of the regions that benefited the least. Now the money and jobs are drying up, and you are applying the same useless bootstrap arguments that have never helped anyone, anywhere, unless you count the beginnings of revolutions, but I don't think anyone has any fight left in them around here.. so you're safe.

And unless you are suggesting that the government increases taxation in order to set up a MABS for every social welfare recipient who might make a mistake with money in their youth - or non-youth -you're not going to get very far trying to dictate what people spend their money on. I don't think you would welcome anyone criticising your spending - particularly for a private education that is not a necessity. It could be deemed frivolous in a country which is currently being crippled by austerity measures.

From your previous posts, I think I'm correct in believing that your solution to all this is to get rid of social welfare. So basically, make people destitute and homeless. Where do you think they are going to find the means to survive?

That's a strange way of empathising with kids.

• Advertisement

If you can't afford kids then don't have them, single parent families will always be trouble.
    I agree they live in poverty and misery nut we all have choices in life I had kids so I pay for them if I could not then I would have no kids.

Night work in the morning need to pay tax prsi and USC to keep these people in cigs drink and sky boxes

If you can't afford kids then don't have them, single parent families will always be trouble.
    I agree they live in poverty and misery nut we all have choices in life I had kids so I pay for them if I could not then I would have no kids.

Oh my what a ignorant person .....

I really and truly sincerely hope that your
    Life is always as perfect as it is now , I hope you should never fall on difficult times when god forbid you may need to "bleed the system dry"
    I hope your children enjoy their private school , it sure will make them better people .

Oh my what a ignorant person .....

I really and truly sincerely hope that your
    Life is always as perfect as it is now , I hope you should never fall on difficult times when god forbid you may need to "bleed the system dry"
    I hope your children enjoy their private school , it sure will make them better people .

I wish we could all live in a world that was so perfect and so simple.

1) Contraception does not work perfectly, and not everyone has access to free contraception in this country. Furthermore - not everyone believes in contraception. Let's not forget that we live in a Catholic country.

2) People from all walks of life have unplanned pregnancies.

3) Without abortion in this country - unplanned children will automatically become the responsibility of the state if the mother cannot provide for herself or her child.

4) If you fell on hard times tomorrow (touch wood) you would still have those kids. People may have been in a better position to provide for themselves and their kids before the recession. If you look at the current economic climate, where unemployment is high and jobs are scarce - it only stands to reason that there would be parents who have become the unwilling victims of the recession and of austerity. How do you expect those parents to find the means to support their kids when they have lost their jobs and there are scant jobs to be found??

5) Some people, through no fault of their own, may no longer be able to work. This could be due to an accident in the workplace, a life-threatening condition or long term illness. These people can also be parents.

You're lucky if you've never fallen on hard times, but it's a measure of your privilege if you are blind to how easily it can happen.

Moreover, the road back to employment is not easy. There is a lot of temporary and part-time work out there, but for a parent in particular, the risk of losing benefits in favour of unpredictable and unstable wages is hardly attractive. There's also the issue of child care. Unfortunately social welfare offers a measure of stability in uncertain economic times and there are few supports to help low income families move from social welfare to financial independence. In that sense, choosing to be on welfare as opposed to diving into an employer-ruled job climate can actually be the most rational decision. And as many people discover the hard way - low income employment can put a family worse off than they would be on social welfare. I'm not saying our social welfare system is perfect or ideal - but it has developed alongside a wider faulty economy - one that went bust because of how it disproportionately favoured the rich.

Do you think anyone is sitting around discussing bankers reproductive rights? No.

I tell ye one thing, if my mother lived around the corner for me that would be great, I would be able to drop my child off with her and go to work and before anybody says there are no jobs, there are actually jobs it just depends on how low you want to go, and these people are already there they can only go up.

Failing work she should be at least on a fas course or some kind of training to better her self and widen her future prospects, theres no use sitting on a bed or jumping on your bed playing with your friends and then saying I cant afford the bills etc etc if your not willing to try and improve yourself,

This is all here say because we dont really know for sure, and before anybody jumps down my throat for suggesting that her kid could be left with her mother while she works or studies or trys to learn something for her future and her kids future, There are plenty of Granny's and Grandads at my kids school every day collecting their grand children cos both parents are working paying taxes which pay her house and benefits.

I dont like to be too harsh or personal on the girl either cos she cant come on here and defend herself and TV3 could have whacked the editing button out of it.

I reckon the root of the problem is Education, there are too many people who arent educated enough and end up in this situation.

I dont think the problem is they tried and tried and tried and failed in life, I think the writing was on the wall for most of these people when they left school, maybe school social workers should takcle the issue 3 years before school leaving age and have a database on each kids results marks and grades etc over their school life and what their prospects are in life before they leave school, They should have the parents heavily involved, 3 years before school is finished, not on an input level but just that they are aware what course and what path their kids are on, it should also be spelt out clearly to kids what route they are taking in life and what their prospects are. somehow trying to pre empt this end result of being a social dependant, cos alot of it has got to do with choices being made in secondary school, not caring wanting to drink and smoke maybe even taking drugs and having the wrong priorities not realising that life is about o bitch slap you in 3 months when your finished with poor grades and results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Night work in the morning need to pay tax prsi and USC to keep these people in cigs drink and sky boxes

Unfortunately, i have heard these things before from various people and people who work closely with those in need; complaining about no money and have big screen and sky sports on the telly etc. I'm not sure how common this is. There is a lot of anger out there with the perceived benefits that some can get on the welfare system. A previous comment about not having kids if you cant afford them has a grain of truth in it, however, some people fall between the cracks, fall on bad times, partner leaves, bad family situation etc and need help. I think Noel Gallagher summed it up well 'there used to be working class, now there is working class and cant-be-bothered-working class' or career social welfare recipients who chose the council house, medical card, free travel, no property tax etc as an alternative to trying to work. With regard to social housing, I think it is 100% necessary for women who may have had an abusive partner, physically disabled etc, i do not think that just because you have a baby that you should get social housing. Im very worried about the dependency culture that has emerged/was possibly always there. In the UK there is a big debate on it happening right now. To be fair, most people want to work and the holy grail is weeding out those who have made no attempt to work.

I have no problem with welfare, God forbid I lose my job then then I will get help.The problem is we have a class of peolple who never contribute and drain the resorces. The young lad Tommy I think he was needed money to go to college but got no help, yet lazy wasters get paid to have kids. This is what's wrong with the system, those who want to improve can't because of those who won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

from my own experience, i feel we really need to look to the education system in this country....

1--We need to drill it in to young people's heads that they need to work hard in school, in order to fulfill their TRUE potential...we need to point out that if they are lazy in their approach to schoolwork etc, then they will be on the scrapheap by the time they are in their mid-twenties. The days of walking into the same factory that your factory worked in, and having a well-paying job for life are over...

2--We need MORE parents to start acting responsibly and they must ensure that their children get involved in sport/drama/scouts etc

3--We need to teach people how to budget their money...I find that people's inabilty to budget for a week/fortnight, is more often than not the problem, rather than lack of money....i think this was obvious in the programme on monday night...

4--WE NEED GREATER PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND LESS LOOKING TOWARDS THE STATE TO PAY FOR EVERYTHING AND WE NEED TO STOP BLAMING THE STATE FOR EVERYTHING!!!

• Advertisement

from my own experience, i feel we really need to look to the education system in this country....

1--We need to drill it in to young people's heads that they need to work hard in school, in order to fulfill their TRUE potential...we need to point out that if they are lazy in their approach to schoolwork etc, then they will be on the scrapheap by the time they are in their mid-twenties. The days of walking into the same factory that your factory worked in, and having a well-paying job for life are over...

2--We need MORE parents to start acting responsibly and they must ensure that their children get involved in sport/drama/scouts etc

3--We need to teach people how to budget their money...I find that people's inabilty to budget for a week/fortnight, is more often than not the problem, rather than lack of money....i think this was obvious in the programme on monday night...

4--WE NEED GREATER PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND LESS LOOKING TOWARDS THE STATE TO PAY FOR EVERYTHING AND WE NEED TO STOP BLAMING THE STATE FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Pretty much what i was saying! I agree with you!

I also think we should start posint JOBS in Waterford on here for the laugh ha ha!

Lidl Tramore road are currently recruiting, signs up in all the windows!

Advertisement