Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV3 Programme 'The Estate' in Ballybeg

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Media999 wrote: »
    Hes still robbing anything that he can.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Single mothers were entitled to a house with reduced rent, provisions and generous child support in the midst of the Celtic Tiger and nothing was said or debated about it because a lot of us were too busy living it up with 100% mortgages, 3 holidays a year, a D4 lifestyle and no time for anyone who wasnt like this. I find it strange that now, when the crash has hit us and we are licking our wounds,the same people now struggling with debts and mortgages have honed right in on single mothers as their venting valve and the source of all evil. Its too easy a target, and smacks of jealousy and insincerity. Yes, they do get a lot more than I think they should but this isnt a new problem, plus a show about an estate that has/had a bad rep was never going to feature the good guys happy ever after stories..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

What have we learned from this experience?

1. Waterford people are precious. Don't feature our estate and we complain about being left out. However, if you do show our estates it better be produced by failure ireland.

2. Town is full of hypocrites. The amount of people who have criticised those girls, with a fag in one hand and a ton of effs out of their mouths...it's almost funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Not all wasters are unmarried mothers there are plenty of married wasters who get everything going too and know how to work the system.

Not all unmarried mothers are wasters, some work and pay their way. There are a lot of unmarried mothers in relationships and living with their partners.

Back in the 80's an "unmarried mother" was viewed in a very negative and shameful way. Nowadays with people choosing not to get married around 1 in 3 children are born to parents that aren't married and a lot of them are living together in steady relationships, working and not claiming benefits apart from child benefit which all mothers or fathers are entitled to.

Those parenting on their own are now called lone parents be it mother or father bringing up the child/ren.

I didn't think the show was too bad, I thought Tommy did himself proud giving his free time volunteering and trying to get into college, Vincent came across as a likeable character but I think the girls made a holy show of themselves and the main girl played into the negative stereotyping of single teenage mothers with a sense of entitlement and lazy with it.

So you think they should have acted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

I have only watched the first episode now (overseas at the moment) and was pretty pretty horrified when few more people start watching it with us. They thought it was a comedy!

I haven't read all the posts here, way to many and not sure if this has been mentioned. But when some one like the young girl in the show was smoking in every bloody scene and giving out about a electricity bill in another (one of the essentials in life) how can you take her seriously?? Sorry for going off topic a little bit but that really riles me up. Yes its a habit but by God do you have to smoke every minute of the day to feed that habit. If she cared for the future of her child, and herself, she would give it up!!

The show was totally cringy and was very similar to "gypsy weddings". I hate how shows like this that go to these places and pick out the people that stand out the most. Why can't they film you average Joe? Because it's not good TV!! Thats why none of these shows should never be treated seriously and take it at face value and have a laugh watching it!

Smoking? Swearing? OH MY GOD??!!!!

You people are precious. I wasn't aware that such levels of snobbery existed in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

deisemum wrote: »
    Not all wasters are unmarried mothers there are plenty of married wasters who get everything going too and know how to work the system.

Not all unmarried mothers are wasters, some work and pay their way. There are a lot of unmarried mothers in relationships and living with their partners.

Back in the 80's an "unmarried mother" was viewed in a very negative and shameful way. Nowadays with people choosing not to get married around 1 in 3 children are born to parents that aren't married and a lot of them are living together in steady relationships, working and not claiming benefits apart from child benefit which all mothers or fathers are entitled to.

Those parenting on their own are now called lone parents be it mother or father bringing up the child/ren.

I didn't think the show was too bad, I thought Tommy did himself proud giving his free time volunteering and trying to get into college, Vincent came across as a likeable character but I think the girls made a holy show of themselves and the main girl played into the negative stereotyping of single teenage mothers with a sense of entitlement and lazy with it.

Agreed.

My uncle died at 42. His wife was left with five kids. In comparison to "lone parent" or unmarried mothers, as a widow she was entitled to sweet FA.

She was told if she switched to lone parents (she would be denying her husband ever existed) she would be entitled to more. That's how fcuked up this country actually is.

She did a tremendous job on rearing the lads and they are all now adults and great to their mother. So let's not go on about how hard done by unmarried mothers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

You people are precious. I wasn't aware that such levels of snobbery existed in Waterford.

Did I mention swearing?? And whats wrong with looking down on people that put a habit before their kids?? Totally morally wrong!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Rather snide Dicky, you are taking the poster out of context, he made a valid point eloquently I thought .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

7upfree wrote: »
    Agreed.

My uncle died at 42. His wife was left with five kids. In comparison to "lone parent" or unmarried mothers, as a widow she was entitled to sweet FA.

She was told if she switched to lone parents (she would be denying her husband ever existed) she would be entitled to more. That's how fcuked up this country actually is.

She did a tremendous job on rearing the lads and they are all now adults and great to their mother. So let's not go on about how hard done by unmarried mothers are.

first time EVER that i heard of a widow being denied the widows pension...

first time EVER that i heard of a widow being denied the widows pension...

Sorry - let me clarify. She was granted the widow's pension - but would have been entitled to more money and entitlements if she declared herself a lone parent. Thus denying her husband ever existed. now THAT is truly fcuked up. no two ways about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry - let me clarify. She was granted the widow's pension - but would have been entitled to more money and entitlements if she declared herself a lone parent. Thus denying her husband ever existed. now THAT is truly fcuked up. no two ways about it.

Probably because they are two different circumstances? I'm open to correction here but I assume the widows pension is smaller because a lone parent has always had to raise the kids completely on their own and never had a second income through a partner?

Sully wrote: »
    Probably because they are two different circumstances? I'm open to correction here but I assume the widows pension is smaller because a lone parent has always had to raise the kids completely on their own and never had a second income through a partner?

Possibly. But let's give one example. At the same time a lady was deserted by her husband - and was entitled to the additional payments etc. But my aunt wasn't - unless she declared herself a lone parent. The deserted wife also had the previous additional income.

Possibly. But let's give one example. At the same time a lady was deserted by her husband - and was entitled to the additional payments etc. But my aunt wasn't - unless she declared herself a lone parent. The deserted wife also had the previous additional income.

I see the logic behind giving lone parents (ie outside of marriage) more protection, because that's how society is going. Its now increasingly more popular not to rush into marriage. People have kids, get houses, and may get married years later. But if your not married, you don't have the same protection as a married person if the husband passes away. Not sure if he leaves his wife does she get any different allowance.

Anyway, not relevant to the topic and I have gone into a complex tangent! :D

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Rather snide Dicky, you are taking the poster out of context, he made a valid point eloquently I thought .

It's snobbery whatever way you paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

I passed two of the girls from this walking around Tesco ballybeg yesterday in their ****ing pajamas in the middle of the afternoon..Reminded me of this

tesco-shopping-pajamas.jpg

A Tesco grocery store in Cardiff, Wales, has recently banned customers who shop in their pajamas or barefoot:

The signs are placed at the entrance to the store, on the city's outskirts.

They read: "To avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others we ask that our customers are appropriately dressed when visiting our store (footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted)."

The spokesman said: "We're not a nightclub with a strict dress code, and jeans and trainers are of course more than welcome. We do, however, request that customers do not shop in their PJs or nightgowns. This is to avoid causing offence or embarrassment to others."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ennio Morricone, your post has been deleted.

If you have a problem with the post then use the report post option, its not your job to back seat mod. Any further nonsense will be deleted.

If you have a problem with a mod's decision on another thread then take it to PM with the mod or a cmod.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Complete lack of shame, in fact they wear pjs as a badge of honor that they don't have to work.

Some of those camera angles, especially over the Suir, are pretty impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭iphonehead

Some of those camera angles, especially over the Suir, are pretty impressive.

I agree - I don't think anybody would have a problem with the quality of the production, but the content is another issue completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

Might as well get my late reply in before this erupts later!!
    Just throwing this out there:

1. Do people think that it is right that an unmarried mother gets a three-bedroomed house (or equivalent rent allowance) free gratis while young married couples struggle with a mortgage?

I think the welfare system (like almost everything else is this country) is run lazily - with unnecessary and wasteful red tape in some areas - dated swings and roundabouts in others - and ridiculous loopholes that communicate the sheer lack of foresight and thought behind these measures. We are bleeding money in many areas that are NOT social protection - I would argue the bank bailouts should be more immediately concerning than whether or not single parents are entitled to support as they try to find their way - IF they happen to need it. That's just a no brainer to me. People before bureaucracy. The problems with the welfare system are just symptomatic of larger mismanagement problems and denial within the government. It doesn't make sense to me that a three bedroom would be given when only two bedrooms are immediately required - but there are other constraints involved and it's hardly a mansion. It is better that it is inhabited than boarded it up and left to rot - as it had been previously.
    2. Do unmarried mothers qualify for a medical card?

It's income dependant and means tested - as it is for everyone else.
    3. Do they qualify for free travel?

To my knowledge - the same rules apply for "unmarried mothers" as they do for any other citizens. I know they are granted to those who meet the age requirements, are in receipt of some disability payment, and/or are carers. I'm pretty sure there is no special privilege given to unmarried mothers in this sense - not by virtue of their marital status anyway.
    4. Are they given additional allowances?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/checklists/checklist_entitlements_for_lone_parents.html

One parent families are supported if they need it.
    5. Do people agree with unmarried mother's allowance for subsequent children?

I agree with lone parent allowance being paid to parents that need it in order to support their children - no matter how many of them there are. It is a payment decided to help the family and look out for the welfare of the children. There's nothing inherently wrong with that in and of itself.
    6. Why are the fathers not paying their share - or being made to do so?

You'll have to ask them. On a case to case basis.
    7. Is it a form of discrimination in itself to pay for almost everything for one person (unmarried mother) while another (a married woman) gets little in comparison?

I think it is a form of discrimination to represent the situation as if it applied solely to unmarried mothers.

Marriage is not the issue here.

I'm guessing this post I'm replying to might be the reason moderators warned to stay on topic??

Anyway, seeking out information about the failings -and similarly - the loopholes in the welfare system is not difficult.

I have a feeling the Halligan family will dominate the comments after tonight's episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Cynthia must have a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Is this the Halligan family that's related to the thug that murdered poor Dick Forristal a few years ago?Wasn't there a Halligan from Ballybeg sent to prison over that?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I am saying no more, that young girl with the birthday party, could she be anymore useless. No more comments from me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Very depressing programme, the only positive thing is the young youth worker lad looking to go to college. I'd take every fcuking cent off the other wasters and give it to that lad to get him through that course. Lot of respect for him, giving up his time and obviously having to disconnect himself from some of his peers who don't have the same goals as he has. Hard to do that and he deserves all the support he can get for that.

As for the young one spending all that cash on her daughter's birthday and smoking her head off in front of the poor kid..... :mad::mad::mad:

Would love to get a running total of how much the Halligans have cost the state between housing, social welfare, prison spells and all the crime-related costs that end up being paid for by the tax payer. I'd say it's literally running into millions. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

That program is gone beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Tv3 at its best, utter dog****.

• Advertisement

Waterford looked great on sixinthecity tonight though!

Advertisement