Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County development Charge

Options
  • 23-08-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Has anyone here built a house lately?

Have just received fpp for a 2 storey 275sq mtr house and am literally stunned at the price of the development charge.
    It is coming in at a lovely figure of €17,875 for water, wastewater and roads&recreation.

I just cannot envisage being able to pay this,it is outrageous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

More council money grabbing. Because they're worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

mj_mam wrote: »
    Has anyone here built a house lately?

Have just received fpp for a 2 storey 275sq mtr house and am literally stunned at the price of the development charge.
    It is coming in at a lovely figure of €17,875 for water, wastewater and roads&recreation.

I just cannot envisage being able to pay this,it is outrageous.

This country is getting ridicolous, its time for a complete change. Building a house provides jobs and stimulates the economy. Charges like these will put people off building a new house. Absolutle madness !!!!
    Dont forget to register to pay your household tax and septic tank tax to pay for those local amenities !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Glenalla wrote: »
    This country is getting ridicolous, its time for a complete change. Building a house provides jobs and stimulates the economy. Charges like these will put people off building a new house. Absolutle madness !!!!
    QUOTE]

The OP is stimulating the economy by paying this charge they are paying the wages of workers for the needless roadworks around the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mj_mam

I had words with a woman in the planning section and said how the road I am building on is in an awful state, and she explained it is not just the road you're on it's the county of roads you are using that I've to pay for.
    We are also connecting to existing connections, yet still have to pay for the full connection fee because we will be using public connections.
    No wonder people do not want to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hey OP,
    Could you give a bit of a breakdown on what exactly the development charge will be paying for? It seems quite steep alright, but obviously if the Co. Co. had to upgrade roads leading to your house, add electricity poles etc then that would change things. Do you actually get anything for that money in other words- will your house being where it is prove a financial burden to the Council that, say, an urban house wouldn't?

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    Hey OP,
    Could you give a bit of a breakdown on what exactly the development charge will be paying for? It seems quite steep alright, but obviously if the Co. Co. had to upgrade roads leading to your house, add electricity poles etc then that would change things. Do you actually get anything for that money in other words- will your house being where it is prove a financial burden to the Council that, say, an urban house wouldn't?

There already public water an sewerage connections on site and electricity poles. I do not believe, but am open to correction, they would have to do anything new to the site.
    On the website and in the documents it charges €65 per sq mtr including what they call "roads & recreation, water and waste water". When I said about the existing connections being there she told me it doesn matter as it is paying for using the public services an also in regard to the roads, she said it's not just my road, it's the county of roads.

Very frustrating, and expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It's another tax, there is no point in arguing with them as most if not all taxes are non negotiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

femur61 wrote: »
    Glenalla wrote: »
    QUOTE]

The OP is stimulating the economy by paying this charge they are paying the wages of workers for the needless roadworks around the city!

Quango central mate, councils are the ultimate ones. I was under the illusion FG would route and branch reform the lot and deliver some smidgen of value for us taxpayers. Fat chance!

hi5 wrote: »
    It's another tax, there is no point in arguing with them as most if not all taxes are non negotiable.

The amount is not justifiable.
    Carlow co co next door, only €4,000....€14,000 less.
    It's a disgraceful amount of money to be demanding.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm open to correction here, but it has nothing to do with your water/waste/esb connections that may already be on your site - this money goes into the pot thats used to fund the water treatment plants (i.e. your use of that system once your house is built), public roads etc.

I think your amount for Carlow might be a bit short too - using the guide here for Carlow County Council and based on your size of 275m2, i got a figure of over €8.5k :confused:

Having said said, I wonder how much of these contributions will be reduced once we start paying for water on a per-use basis...

• Advertisement

Spocker wrote: »

I think your amount for Carlow might be a bit short too - using the guide here for Carlow County Council and based on your size of 275m2, i got a figure of over €8.5k :confused:

I was going by the roads, water and waste water amounts, nothing extra, as the kilkenny one includes nothing else.

Ok so if it is just about upkeep of roads, and water treatment facilities, how can counties differ so much? And why are some based on the size of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

That's and astronomical figure, for my build in 2008(241 square meters), I paid the following:

Water € 2,520.00
    Sewer € 365.00
    Roads & Marine € 1,685.00
    Town & Village Renewal € 965.00
    Economic Community Culture € 965.00
    Car Parking € 0.00

I didn't mind paying the water charge, that is understandable. I don't know why I was charged for 'Sewer' as I paid 3k for a domestic treatment plant and do not avail of public sewerage. For 'Roads and Marine' this is vague(along with the other items), again I pay road tax here on 2 vehicles??

All in all it is a murky charge, but what angers me is the fact that we are now being asked to pay a household charge/property tax, and water metering, septic tank charges are coming down the tracks. In principle, I don't have an issue with the property tax, as it is pretty much EU wide, but in the context of having paid these development charges, I think it's completely unjustified......there should be some middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

I should add that the above was Donegal Co. Co.

Advertisement