Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Core t7200 problem

Options
  • 23-08-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hello,

I have 6yrs old Sony Vaio VGN-FE11H with t2300 and I've decided to upgrade to T7200. CPU unit was bought on Ebay...when I'm inserting new cpu into mobo it's not working...I should have newest bios on it. Is there any way to check if that cpu is gone without inserting into different mobo ? It's hard to find anybody with simillar socket.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I haven't looked into the background of this laptop to check, but unless you have done it yourself I'd be doubtful about its compatibility straight off.

The T2300 is a completely different architecture to the T7200. The first is a Core Duo while the second is a Core 2 Duo. The older one is the first generation of dual cores in laptops and didn't even support 64-bit operating systems.

Regardless of socket (i.e., pin compatibilities), you're talking about two very different CPUs and you'd most likely need different motherboards unless Sony were generous with forward compatibility. It's certainly not something that worries Intel too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Deliasz

thanks for replay Monotype.

I've checked a lot of forums and boards before buying. There are posts with people replacing this or simillar (solo)cpu with this one and it worked for them. You might be right (hope no) with your thinking but would be nice to double chek cpu itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I try a laptop repair shop, get them to test it. Is your RAM up to spec for the faster processor?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Right. Does it boot into bios? What is the bios version? Is it a modded bios or an offical Sony update bios? Technically you can update no problem, but I see two potential issues:

- Bios compatibility issues
    - Thermal paste. Did you use any?

I assume it would still boot even with no heat sink or thermal past no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BostonB wrote: »
    I assume it would still boot even with no heat sink or thermal past no?

OP says it's not working, so it's a bit vague to whether it actually boots or not :) I've had CPU upgrades boot into bios but no further. Without a HS or Thermal Paste it could crash at any given point, possibly fry the CPU altogether after first boot.

Just trying to extract as much info as possible from him.

I seriously doubt its going to get hot enough in booting to the bios to fry the CPU with/without paste or even a heatsink. It should still get to the bios. Don't these processors have thermal protection and throttling?

Yes unless the bios settings on speedstep is set to off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I seriously doubt its going to get hot enough in booting to the bios to fry the CPU with/without paste or even a heatsink. It should still get to the bios. Don't these processors have thermal protection and throttling?
    I'd say it fries in seconds? Seriously; no thermal paste and heat sink = CPU shutting down after 2 seconds and possibly being damaged.

Look up some videos if you don't believe me.

Eboggles wrote: »
    I'd say it fries in seconds? Seriously; no thermal paste and heat sink = CPU shutting down after 2 seconds and possibly being damaged.

Look up some videos if you don't believe me.

It varies from chip to chip, but yeah, it happens. :(

• Advertisement

It varies from chip to chip, but yeah, it happens. :(

I've seen it happen with AMD Socket A processors. No heatsink = spark and smoke within 5 seconds, if even.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've noticed recent motherboards, p67 and z68 put full whack of voltage through the CPU in the bios. 1.35v on a CPU that idles at 1v.

its easy to tell cause the temp of the CPU is also high 40's.

take the heatsink off and you'd be lucky if the CPU doesn't cook before shutting down.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've noticed recent motherboards, p67 and z68 put full whack of voltage through the CPU in the bios. 1.35v on a CPU that idles at 1v.

take the heatsink off and you'd be lucky if the CPU doesn't cook before shutting down.

Yep, my i5 2500k with a stock Intel fan on an Intel DH67GD motherboard was idling at 80°C in the BIOS! I replaced the motherboard, for an unrelated reason, with a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and this was better (around 45°C or so), but I still replaced the Intel fan in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Karsini wrote: »
    Yep, my i5 2500k with a stock Intel fan on an Intel DH67GD motherboard was idling at 80°C in the BIOS! I replaced the motherboard, for an unrelated reason, with a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and this was better (around 45°C or so), but I still replaced the Intel fan in the end.
    you'd think Intel would know better of all people!

why did you replace the board BTW?

I'm asking cause I may know an Intel employee so would love to jump on lga2011 but motherboards are so expensive, but then I could go Intel x79 anyway.

Karsini wrote: »
    I've seen it happen with AMD Socket A processors. No heatsink = spark and smoke within 5 seconds, if even.

Thats because Socket A systems didn't have thermal protection back then. I expect anyone OC a thunderbird back then found this out. Socket A must be 12+ yrs old at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdLGwamxB_g

Isn't the CPU's thermal limit is around 100~125 degrees? Thats assuming it doesn't slow itself down before it gets to that. I reckon I should still post and get into the bios with no heatsink or paste.

you'd think Intel would know better of all people!

why did you replace the board BTW?

I'm asking cause I may know an Intel employee so would love to jump on lga2011 but motherboards are so expensive, but then I could go Intel x79 anyway.
    I originally bought the DH67GD for use in a HTPC but that project went belly up. I later reused it in a new desktop PC but the positioning of the SATA ports didn't suit large video cards. Also I have DDR3-1600 RAM, by chance rather than intention, and the H67 chipset was limiting me to 1333.
    Isn't the CPU's thermal limit is around 100~125 degrees? Thats assuming it doesn't slow itself down before it gets to that. I reckon I should still post and get into the bios with no heatsink or paste.
    TjMax (the maximum the processor supports and will report from its onchip thermal sensor) on a 2500K is 98°C, though I don't know what the THERMTRIP temperature is, probably a fair bit higher.

Advertisement