Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tap water in neti pots behind two brain-eating amoeba deaths in 2011

• 23-08-2012 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭

A title like that was worth a thread, I thought.
    Researchers believe that two people who died from the "brain-eating" amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri in 2011 contracted the infection after using neti pots with tap water to clear their sinuses.

Typically, people contract the amoeba from swimming in warm freshwater lakes and rivers since the organism thrives in warm temperatures. However, the victims - a 28-year-old man and a 51-year-old woman from Louisiana - had not been near freshwater. The only thing they had in common was that they both routinely used the tap water with neti pots. Further tests on their home plumbing came back positive for the amoeba, although the city's water distribution systems' tests came back negative. The bacteria was found in a tankless water heater in the man's home and in the bathroom sink and faucet tub of the woman's home.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57499285-10391704/tap-water-in-neti-pots-behind-two-brain-eating-amoeba-deaths-in-2011-investigation-finds/?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.8

...why the fuck ye'd need a "neti" pot to clear yer nose is another mystery though....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I use one every few days to help with hayfever/sinus problems. You're supposed to use boiled and cooled water, which presumably the people involved there, didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Sloppy journalism there...Amoeba and bacteria are not the same thing, they're totally different :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

I thought all brain eating matters were restricted to the zombies forum

Advertisement