Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of scan...?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Help!

I'm a student in the depths of poverty. Am I right in thinking that pregnancy scans are free? If so, where? Do I need to bring my VHI card? AAAAAAAH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭jecca1

If u are a public patient all maternity related costs are free. You dont need VHI etc.

Any of the maternity hospitals or hospital with a maternity unit will provide the scan once u register with them.

If u are a semi-private or private patient you will pay for your consultant fees (dont think VHI covers these fees) but VHI should cover scans and in hospital bills - actually having the baby.

Open to correction here, its a few year since i had mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

From the very first GP visit to 6 weeks after the birth, all hospital visits, scans, blood tests, and trips to the GP are free free free.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    From the very first GP visit to 6 weeks after the birth, all hospital visits, scans, blood tests, and trips to the GP are free free free.

Yep, I have VHI but never bothered using it, because I heard the public system is just as good. And it was - I had extra appointments due to a pre-existing hormone issue, and extra scans. All GP visits free too including a couple of times when I felt a pain and got it checked out (3 times) in the maternity ward. I also had an emergency C-section and baby had a stint in neo-natal. All covered. So too were my follow up appointments with the endocrinologist and GP. In addition, the baby's 2 week and 6 week check, and vaccinations are free too. :)

Advertisement