Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your height/ideal height?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I'm 5'11 pretty happy with my height :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I love when people ask my height and I say 5'10''....and they stand beside me and say no you can't be, I'm 5'8'', you look taller. Why bother bloody ask me then?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Alrite guys. When I started this thread I never thought it would fly like it did. Thanks for all the contributions. But i cant help but to wonder if there is a lot of Pinocchio's or exagerrators about their height on here as the average height for a Caucasian man, according to the below source is 5 foot 9 Inches. Or else there is just the guys over six foot who are posting about their towering gift and the majority of the guys under 6 foot are too ashamed and decide to sit this one out . But good thread all the same, keep it coming. :)

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growthcharts2/f/avg_ht_male.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

WumBuster wrote: »
    Alrite guys. When I started this thread I never thought it would fly like it did. Thanks for all the contributions. But i cant help but to wonder if there is a lot of Pinocchio's or exagerrators about their height on here as the average height for a Caucasian man, according to the below source is 5 foot 9 Inches. Or else there is just the guys over six foot who are posting about their towering gift and the majority of the guys under 6 foot are too ashamed and decide to sit this one out . But good thread all the same, keep it coming. :)

That's just an American stat right?

I've a feeling the average male height in Ireland is a bit above that, maybe only by a small bit at 5'10". I'm too tired to go looking for actual proof of that though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

A lot of lads do think they're 6'0. I'd say for lads that think they're 6'0 and above to measure themselves again.
    I'm only 5'2 and I've seen far too many six footers that were barely 5'10.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    That's just an American stat right?

I've a feeling the average male height in Ireland is a bit above that, maybe only by a small bit at 5'10". I'm too tired to go looking for actual proof of that though :p

Apologies, ya its an American stat which of course is very multicultural, with a large Asian population who tend to be smaller in height than European counterparts. Europeans, particularly northern Europeans tend to be the tallest people but no way is the average, particularly in Ireland 6 foot or over, I would guess 5''10 or 5''11 which isnt reflected in this thread at all, which is what Im getting at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Apologies, ya its an American stat which of course is very multicultural, with a large Asian population who tend to be smaller in height than European counterparts. Europeans, particularly northern Europeans tend to be the tallest people but no way is the average, particularly in Ireland 6 foot or over, I would guess 5''10 or 5''11 which isnt reflected in this thread at all, which is what Im getting at.

We need a poll WumBuster, dammit we need a poll!

Maybe a mod could assist with adding poll options for Male and Female? That said, it could well be too much effort :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm 6'1 and around 12 and a half stone. I'm alright weight wise but I'd like to be another inch taller.

I was always small enough when I was growing up. I was tiny compared to others in my class. Most of them hit their peak height in 2nd/3rd year and I am a good 4 or 5 inches taller than them now.

My dad told me recently that he was worried that I'd be small. I'm now taller than him :P. My brother is 20 and about 6'3. Hope for his sake that he stops growing now. Any more and he'd be a very awkward height.

Being tall is brilliant when you go to gigs and stuff like that. Almost no one blocks your view, and when you go on your tippy toes you can stretch to 6'4/5.

mauzo wrote: »
    I love when people ask my height and I say 5'10''....and they stand beside me and say no you can't be, I'm 5'8'', you look taller. Why bother bloody ask me then?!

I can be guilty of that and I think it's because ya don't consider the bottom half as much as the bottom half. 3 inches difference in 6 foot is about 4% difference but only thinking of the top half foot it's 8% then ya undercompensate for the bottom half. It makes sense I swear! :pac:

Knex. wrote: »
    We need a poll WumBuster, dammit we need a poll!

Maybe a mod could assist with adding poll options for Male and Female? That said, it could well be too much effort :p

Yip if there was ever a need for a poll, this is it as there are too many ''huge'' people on this thread, so much so it makes me very suspicious. Dont know how to go about it, though. Ok mods could you set up a poll to sort this out? Thats about all I can do after a six pack of bavaria.

• Advertisement

Yip if there was ever a need for a poll, this is it as there are too many ''huge'' people on this thread, so much so it makes me very suspicious. Dont know how to go about it, though. Ok mods could you set up a poll to sort this out? Thats about all I can do after a six pack of bavaria.

The shortarses can't reach the keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Somewhere around 5'5 or 5'6. I love it. You get away with being so much more mischievous as a guy my height I think. It can suck a bit at times too though like getting bar staff's attention in pubs unless a fellow short ass is behind the bar. I don't get people suggesting others are lying here, for what cause? Is it an achievement to be 6'2? Should I have given growing more of a consideration years ago? :D

Fúck you!

I CAN REACH IT JUST FINE!

If I stand on something

Fúck you!

I CAN REACH IT JUST FINE!

If I stand on something

Can I rest my beer on your head on the night out?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

A lot of lads do think they're 6'0. I'd say for lads that think they're 6'0 and above to measure themselves again.
    I'm only 5'2 and I've seen far too many six footers that were barely 5'10.

Quite the size queen aren't ya :p

Yeah, sure, whatever.
    Don't blame me when it comes back with arsenic in it :D
    1ZRed wrote: »
    Quite the size queen aren't ya

Pfft, not my fault I like adult ones ;)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Somewhere around 5'5 or 5'6. I love it. You get away with being so much more mischievous as a guy my height I think. It can suck a bit at times too though like getting bar staff's attention in pubs unless a fellow short ass is behind the bar. I don't get people suggesting others are lying here, for what cause? Is it an achievement to be 6'2? Should I have given growing more of a consideration years ago? :D

Look at some of the people who are short but get ahead in life and dosent let it affect them.. Bono, Tom Cruise, Al Pacino, George Bush, Ronan Keating...Ok they all probably had huge egos which helped them alot to stand out but you get what Im saying..height is no obstacle really, unless you make it one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

6'4/193cm barefoot.

People think I'm taller than I am for some reason. Only one person has guessed correctly first time..

Look at some of the people who are short but get ahead in life and dosent let it affect them.. Bono, Tom Cruise, Al Pacino, George Bush, Ronan Keating...Ok they all probably had huge egos which helped them alot to stand out but you get what Im saying..height is no obstacle really.

Plesae never compare that... "man" to the other men you listed. :pac:

Yeah, sure, whatever.
    Don't blame me when it comes back with arsenic in it :D

If you were a girl being a beer balance wouldn't be your only benefit ;)
    Pfft, not my fault I like adult ones ;)

are you taking a shot at me there boy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

dfx- wrote: »
    6'4/193cm barefoot.

People think I'm taller than I am for some reason. Only one person has guessed correctly first time..

Same here, people are inclined to say 6'6 or higher.
    It's probably because they overestimate their own height.

If you were a girl being a beer balance wouldn't be your only benefit ;)

are you taking a shot at me there boy?

WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO BE?!

"dress up like a woman*
    Be more manly!
    *dress up like a man*
    Too short! Be a woman!

I can never win!

WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO BE?!

"dress up like a woman*
    Be more manly!
    *dress up like a man*
    Too short! Be a woman!

I can never win!

Ah it's not hard. Meet them half way, chicks with dicks and all that.

Not my thing, but you'll make some 40 year old man very happy when he "mail order brides" you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Look at some of the people who are short but get ahead in life and dosent let it affect them.. Bono, Tom Cruise, Al Pacino, George Bush, Ronan Keating...Ok they all probably had huge egos which helped them alot to stand out but you get what Im saying..height is no obstacle really, unless you make it one.

since when is george bush short?

Plesae never compare that... "man" to the other men you listed. :pac:

Oh c'mon, he may be a narcissist who stands on platforms to make his 5''6 become 5''9, but he's a musically a fine fellow..:) Im just listening to his band(who all average 5''6) now to wind down after a nice evening.

All in all he's really shaping up to be the perfect woman!

Mauzo, I take it this is how you'd be as a guy? :p

All in all he's really shaping up to be the perfect woman!

Mauzo, I take it this is how you'd be as a guy? :p

I can't see that on my phone but he better have great hair

It's longish if that's what you girls like?

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6414223/hardly-working-the-perfect-woman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Eathrin wrote: »
    Same here, people are inclined to say 6'6 or higher.
    It's probably because they overestimate their own height.

Strangely I'd be the same with anyone below 6'. If someone who was 5'4 asked me to guess their height, I'd as likely say 5'2 or 5'7. Cannot tell..

• Advertisement

It's longish if that's what you girls like?

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6414223/hardly-working-the-perfect-woman

It's a bit creepy how much I'm like him lol personality wise, don't worry I totes waxed the tache last night

I just like small and tall, think its really cute :)

It's a bit creepy how much I'm like him lol personality wise, don't worry I totes waxed the tache last night

I just like small and tall, think its really cute :)

Yeah he's a prick. I like that! :D

It's alright for you though, you've found the perfect woman in brutal deluxe... I'll never find ma perfect wimin :(

All the feckin better! ;D

the perfect woman in brutal deluxe...

I'm male :mad:
    But crossdressing is all the rage so... :pac:

I'm male :mad:
    But crossdressing is all the rage so... :pac:

Alright I'm just going to point out that this is getting a bit disturbing and a lot of members might be taking this out of context...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

wtf is it with boards and tall people?:confused:

5'8 i think, maybe 5'9 I actually never really measured. I'ts on my to do list tomorrow. Perfectly happy too ;)

and height is so psychological, small people think the world is out to get them etc etc

It doesn't matter a sh1te what height u are! it's down to genes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

bleepp wrote: »
    and height is so psychological, small people think the world is out to get them etc etc

not the world in general, just Randy Newman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm 5'1. I wouldn't mind being a bit taller, or at least having longer legs. My boyfriend is over 6ft and I have to take about 3 steps for every 1 of his. Its annoying sometimes but not a lot I can do about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

6'3''
    Nothing special where i come from but in Ireland and Southern- European countries it can be annoying.
    Signs in the streets/shops hanging too low.
    All those tiny people in shops asking me to get products from the top shelf.

Still wouldnt like to be smaller. That will happen eventually anyway when you get old enough that you start shrinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm male and 5'6", my GF is 5'10". It's much more convenient than being tall - no-one asks you to get stuff down from shelves, you don't hit your head off things, no problems with leg room in buses or planes, the list of advantages goes on and on. The only advantage to being tall is that you can get away with wearing a trench coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm 5' 11" and last time I weighed myself I was 11st 6lbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

2 metres on the button, or just about 6ft 7... Used to think I was too tall so slouched all the time, got a clip round the ear from my Granny so I know I walk tall :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Five feet and half an inch. Boyfriend is 6'1. Looks ridiculous but I love it. My head is the perfect spot to rest a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I'm 5 ft 6 ". But, I wear heels a lot which brings me up a few inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

5"2 and happy with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

bleepp wrote: »
    wtf is it with boards and tall people?:confused:

5'8 i think, maybe 5'9 I actually never really measured. I'ts on my to do list tomorrow. Perfectly happy too ;)

It doesn't matter a sh1te what height u are! it's down to genes
    People do seem to be weirdly tall on here.
    I'm not suggesting that people are lying either.
    If people are like me they most likely don't care.
    It was weird for me though from going to tiny to tall. Even the way people react to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm about 5' 6". Don't care at all about height, and don't care about weight either, it's all just numbers. I care about things like having excess body fat, but weight is only a guide number for that. I'm actually probably nearing below my recommended weight for height/age, but I've a little fat left to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Handy Irish men height measuring tool.

For your local senior/junior b mens gaa team did you usually play:
    1) full back=6 ft
    2) center back=5 11
    3) midfield= 6 2 /6 4
    4) Keeper=6 ft or over 16 stone
    5) corner forward (5.9)
    6) anywhere else you are either below the average height or are badly need a good feed of potatoes;)

Disclaimer This tool is meant for educational purposes only. Shouldnt be confused with modern football usually played at inter county level where positions are meaningless. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited.

i'm just under 5'8
    think that's just right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am 5 foot 2 and perfect this way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm 5'1 and am totally happy with it. I honestly love being short. Now if I could just lose the last bit of weight I'm trying to get off, I'd be a total roide. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement