Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your height/ideal height?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm 5'9" 1/2 (well, last time I got measured at the docs about 6 months ago I was!). Tall enough for a girl I guess. Hated it when I was younger because I was always the tallest in my class. Towered over everyone.

Like it now though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Confab wrote: »
    The only advantage to being tall is that you can get away with wearing a trench coat.

Ah a closet flasher eh. :p

6'3" & 16 stone. Heaviest was 17.5 playing rugby & lightest was 12.5 on a fitness fad. Looked miserable to the point my mother said to go away & buy an arse for my jeans.
    I Think 15 stone was my happiest weight but anything lighter & the lanky look would reappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm 5'4 I wouldn't mind being 5'6 I don't mind my height I'm not too short or too tall.
    I used to be the tallest girl in my primary now I'm one of the shorter ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Confab wrote: »
    The only advantage to being tall is that you can get away with wearing a trench coat.

Ah a closet flasher eh. :p

6'3" & 16 stone. Heaviest was 17.5 playing rugby & lightest was 12.5 on a fitness fad. Looked miserable to the point my mother said to go away & buy an arse for my jeans.
    I Think 15 stone was my happiest weight but anything lighter & the lanky look would reappear.

I'd love to put on 20 kilos to get rid of the lankiness but that's something very hard for me to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Eathrin wrote: »
    I'd love to put on 20 kilos to get rid of the lankiness but that's something very hard for me to do!

Gym Worked for me. Kinda shocked the system into growth.
    Can only help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm 5'7" and a solid 13 stone.

When I was younger I used to wish I was taller but it doesn't worry me anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I'm a shade under 5'9", hoping to get another few inches at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm 5'4 I wouldn't mind being 5'6 I don't mind my height I'm not too short or too tall.
    I used to be the tallest girl in my primary now I'm one of the shorter ones.
    5'4" is tall for Primary School! Does your gymslip still fit? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am 6"2-6"3 and 14.5 stone, a not bad weight for my height, but I have a bit of a belly, nothing major, but I would like to be rid of it, so I would like to be 14 stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 coldorator

At 5 foot 11 I am quite tall for a girl. . . . Doesnt stop me from buying very high shoes.
    On occasion i have been known to shame those who claim to be six foot into admitting they are actually smaller than me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Five feet ten and about 200 pounds, mainly lean apart from the accursed belly.

I have noticed that I have a very strong bias towards shorter women. I'd be curious as to whether there's an evolutionary link there to my own size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Esel wrote: »
    5'4" is tall for Primary School! Does your gymslip still fit? :D

Lol I never wore the skirts I was tomboyish , it probably would though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shauna8494

Height: 5''
    Ideal height: any bit taller atal would be nice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 orchestrated

I'm 5 ft 5, but I'd love to be just a little smaller. I like being small!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I wouldn't mind an extra few inches... but height-wise I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

I'm 5 ft 5 I'd like to be taller though maybe 5 ft 9 :-)

I would like to be 7"3 and exceptional at basketball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Im 6"5 and just over 14st. I always like been tall,I used to have girlfriend that was only 5ft kinda weird.I always felt like those freaky couples you see on discovery shows, but lately iv been suffering with bad back pain.Iv always been careful with my back due to my hight but Iv messed up somewhere and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.Not sleeping,can barely move in the morning.Trying to put on a pair of socks has become a 10 minute battle .

I think I'm getting old.

damagegt wrote: »
    Im 6"5 and just over 14st. I always like been tall,I used to have girlfriend that was only 5ft kinda weird.I always felt like those freaky couples you see on discovery shows, but lately iv been suffering with bad back pain.Iv always been careful with my back due to my hight but Iv messed up somewhere and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.Not sleeping,can barely move in the morning.Trying to put on a pair of socks has become a 10 minute battle .

I think I'm getting old.

Why do you think being tall is a factor in getting a bad back.

I am about 2" shorter then you, in my 40s, always active and my back is perfect and always was.

By your logic Holland must be crippled.

Colmustard wrote: »

I am about 2" shorter then you, in my 40s, always active and my back is perfect and always was.

.Im happy your back is perfect but everyones not you.Are you saying though your whole life you didnt try take care of your back due to your hight ? of course its a factor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

You need to bend a lot to do anything.

Doing the washing up absolutely destroys my back. Nearly need to go lie down afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mollybeme123

5ft 7in
    jus right 4 me:)

.Im happy your back is perfect but everyones not you.Are you saying though your whole life you didnt try take care of your back due to your hight ? of course its a factor

Never and that is the truth, how is it a factor. A lot of people do injure their backs but I don't think height has anything to do with it.

Do you have scoliosis of the spine??

I might be wrong have you a link to confirm what I think is bogus.

Never and that is the truth, how is it a factor. A lot of people do injure their backs but I don't think height has anything to do with it.

lol a link to what? A picture of me holding my back ? would you like my to bend over and turn my head and do the shhh sign with my finger ?

Obesity, height linked to pain in lower back
    “The most simple explanation for that correlation is that the mechanical load of overweight and body height (on the lever arm) may cause early failure of the back-supporting mechanism and cause early (low back pain) complaints,” said lead author Oded Hershkovich, an orthopedic surgeon in Israel.

The study, which was presented Friday at a national meeting of spine surgeons, involved 17-year-old male and female Israeli military recruits who had undergone medical exams before service induction between 1998 and 2009.

The risk of low back pain was relatively low in both male and female recruits. Obese males were 16 percent more likely to have low back pain; for females it was 21 percent.

Height also increased risk. The tallest males (average height, 6 feet) were 44 percent more likely to have low back pain, compared with the shortest males (average height, 5 feet 5 inches). Tall females (average height, 5 feet 7 inches) were 22 percent more likely to have back pain than the shortest females (average height, 5 feet 1 inch).

###

Read more: Study of One Million Americans Shows Obesity and Pain Linked - Obesity -Pain - http://www.health.am/ab/more/obesity-and-pain-linked/#ixzz24hZrKPIB

lol a link to what? A picture of me holding my back ? would you like my to bend over and turn my head and do the shhh sign with my finger ?

No the correlation between height and back injury. I did some googling and there is a correlation between heigh and high BMI which makes sense, but I can't find anything for height alone.

I might be wrong.

I sympathise and I am probably coming across as an assshole, but I was interested. As I said I am tall and I never considered myself in more danger of getting a back injury.

But I do know how to get one, so maybe I was careful by always unconsciously lifting properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I'm a shade under 6' but I'd like to be 6'2". And weigh the same I do now. With less fat, more muscle.

I can be really self conscious at times.

for instance "you work a job 5 days a week for 20 years at a desk or bench for 9 hours.Your slightly to tall for the bench so you have to bend slightly to make it work.You drive a car that your to tall for the driving position so your cramped.

Your work partner works the same job and drives the same car buts 4" shorter then you,leg wise........
    So your saying that this scenario would in no way increase your risk of back pain ?

for instance "you work a job 5 days a week for 20 years at a desk or bench for 9 hours.Your slightly to tall for the bench so you have to bend slightly to make it work.You drive a car that your to tall for the driving position so your cramped.

Your work partner works the same job and drives the same car buts 4" shorter then you,leg wise........
    So your saying that this scenario would in no way increase your risk of back pain ?

I don't know is the answer but if a short guy or any sized person leaning over a desk in a cumulative stressed position over the years, I think the odds are equal. I really think weight is a more important factor then height.

I am sure there are studies done about this somewhere, I am not going to look, I kind of don't want to know to be honest. I believe it is not a factor and perhaps that has worked for me.

I don't know is the answer but if a short guy or any sized person leaning over a desk in a cumulative stressed position over the years, I think the odds are equal. I really think weight is a more important factor then height.

I am sure there are studies done about this somewhere, I am not going to look, I kind of don't want to know to be honest. I believe it is not a factor and perhaps that has worked for me.

I attended a physio last week and she told me that the main cause of lower back pain was a deterioration of the core muscles due to lack of exercise and as a taller person the majority of situations in life are not designed for taller people so unknowingly taller people have to stoop,bend or slouch to make theses situation work i.e drive or work areas.As a professional I take her word for it.

I agree with you when you say that any person under repetitive stress will suffer but a person of average hight does not experience the same limitations that a taller person would in every day living like sitting on a bus/plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

im 5'11/5'12 and really dont care I never think about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm 6 foot 6". Wouldn't change it.

Wouldn't mind having a belly that was slimmer, but that's being slowly worked on with better eating (than a few years ago), and more gym.

damagegt: when was the last time you replaced your mattress, and how hard is it? An old mattress was starting to hurt my back, so got a newer one. I got an orthopedic mattress and it has made my sleep better.

From what you say, I think you should get your back x-rayed, as it sounds like you may have slipped a disc, or something.

I know of a few people who don't lift things properly, and this causes aliments to most people, tall or short.
    as a taller person the majority of situations in life are not designed for taller people so unknowingly taller people have to stoop,bend or slouch to make theses situation work i.e drive or work areas.As a professional I take her word for it.
    Aye, this is true, but mainly for going through doors. I've only bought cars that I don't have to slouch in, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭Esel

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm 6 foot 6".

*At last - a straight man for my one-liner! :D

Ah, so you're just under 2 metres then?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

The Dutch are the tallest people in the world.
    Taller than the Americans, the Swedish and the Big Paddies. . .:D

I read somewhere that the Polish were on average the tallest in Europe with the normal height for a male at 5ft 11ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ted!

I'm 5ft 9" and the amount of famous people I have met that I am towering over, that are supposed to be taller is crazy. Martin Sheen was the most shocking as I was at least five inches taller standing beside him, which would make him just 5ft 4"

Colin Farrell and Adam Sandler would be two that, while supposed to be towering over me, were I would say no more than 5ft 8". Colin is a very slim snake hipped fecker though, so perhaps why he gives the appearance on film of someone far taller.

Michael D Higgins on the other hand, is surprisingly taller than he appears in Star Wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

6 "4" pretty happy with that, just over 13 stone. Its great winning headers in soccer games!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

wexie wrote: »
    (and for the girls that like tall guys, I'm only just above average in Holland)

I have been to Holland and you are way over the average. I am 187cm (between 6'1" and 6'2") and that is about average in Holland tbh.

Obviously with them having such a high average height then there are a lot of guys taller, making 6'5" look "not that tall"

So my height is 187cm and would love to be 196cm (6'5" ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

im 5'11/5'12 and really dont care I never think about it

Why not say 6ft?

Ted! wrote: »
    I'm 5ft 9" and the amount of famous people I have met that I am towering over, that are supposed to be taller is crazy. Martin Sheen was the most shocking as I was at least five inches taller standing beside him, which would make him just 5ft 4"

Colin Farrell and Adam Sandler would be two that, while supposed to be towering over me, were I would say no more than 5ft 8". Colin is a very slim snake hipped fecker though, so perhaps why he gives the appearance on film of someone far taller.

Michael D Higgins on the other hand, is surprisingly taller than he appears in Star Wars.

I always thought that Colin Farrell was a tall guy, obviously not it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'm small. Five foot four.

Thats not small.

I'm four foot eleven (and almost a half).

THATS small.:)

Theres a guy a few doors down from me, he is only about 4ft tall.
    He is 80 now but it must have been hard to get through life being that small.

Being that small is a handicap. Poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm 5'7" or 5'8". Quite like my height.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Maybe he shrank over the years? Could've been 6ft when he was 20 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I'm 6"1 which is above average for a 16 yo. I like being tall but I'd prefer to have grown s little slower so I didn't have to endure as much back pain!

Also, that thing posted about averaging the parents' heights and adding 2.5 inches for a male and subtracting 2.5 inches for a female was very accurate in my family's case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I am happy with my height in terms of my figure but to be honest I love to be a couple of inches taller I am between 4 foot 10 to 5 foot 1 with/without footwear so can be a nightmare when amongst a crowd so flats is good most of the time but when in a crowd sometimes boots with a decent heel/heels/or reasonable kitten heel does the job for me if I feel I am a bit short in a crowd of people taller than me.

If I were in the usual range more than 5 foot less than 5 foot 5 i'd be very happy wouldn't need heels! Not that I wear them that often! Happy with my flats despite my height!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Is this a giant's only thread or something. Nearly every male that has posted is 6 foot+! :P

I'm 5 foot 10, and I wouldn't be honest if I said it didn't bother me from time to time, coming from a family of big men. My brothers are 6 foot and 6 foot 2 and as the youngest its hard not to feel constantly like the baby!

Could be worse though, a woman could cut off my penis and throw it out of the window of a moving car.....

Most of ye tower over me! :eek:

Anyone over 5 foot 6-6 foot or a little bit more wouldn't be too bad unless I need heels for anyone more than 6 foot one!:o

robman60 wrote: »
    I'm 6"1 which is above average for a 16 yo. I like being tall but I'd prefer to have grown s little slower so I didn't have to endure as much back pain!

Also, that thing posted about averaging the parents' heights and adding 2.5 inches for a male and subtracting 2.5 inches for a female was very accurate in my family's case.

Really how accurate is that? Almost accurate for me gas!

Lucky you I am short and got a fair bit of backache.

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Is this a giant's only thread or something. Nearly every male that has posted is 6 foot+! :P

Most of them look like Jake Gylenhall too. All of them have IQ's in the 200's and most of them earn six figure salaries. They are all irresistible to their preferred gender.

None of it is anything to do with this being the internet.

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement