Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you switch from biomedicine after 1st Year and how will this effect your grant ?

• 23-08-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Heard a feature on Ireland Am from a career guidance expert that a number of students are switching after 1st year in Biomedicine in UCC, to medicine and sitting the Hpat. Can anyone explain this to me. I will have to get a grant to go to college and would this be removed if I switched. I know whatever grinds I get in 6th year,I will struggle to get the 570 or 580 for medicine. I believe Biomedical is around 515.??????????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'm pretty sure they mean they're doing first year of Biomed, repeating the hpat but not the Leaving and reapplying through the CAO. I know a lot of people have done that from various courses (certainly a fair few try it from pharmacy every year).

If that is the case, it's just switching course, so yep you'd lose your grant for the first year of medicine and you'd also have to pay fees, which are around €7k afaik.

Tbh I doubt that you could go directly from Biomed to Medicine, because loads of people would try it and it would drive the biomed points way up. Sorry. It's possible that you could do a degree in Biomed and then do graduate-entry Medicine, I think that's shorter than Medicine as an undergrad, but it would be expensive.

Advertisement