Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Park and Ride?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭

Just a thread for where there should be more park and ride routes in Cork? Any views on this?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

corkoian wrote: »
    Just a thread for where there should be more park and ride routes in Cork? Any views on this?:)

what routes do you suggest? Do you there on said routes there would be enough customers on a weekly basis and not just the times when you would like to have a bus available?

The Black Ash PnR is good because

1. Massive amount of residents in the area who use it for commuting to work during the week and ideal for shopping at weekends.

2. The price at €5 is also reasonable compared to parking fees in the City.

3. The distance between the PnR station and the residential area for the customer base is not long, only a few minutes from Douglas, Frankfield etc. This is ideal for attracting customers.

So, where do you suggest for new routes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

what routes do you suggest? Do you there on said routes there would be enough customers on a weekly basis and not just the times when you would like to have a bus available?

1. Massive amount of residents in the area who use it for commuting to work during the week and ideal for shopping at weekends.

3. The distance between the PnR station and the residential area for the customer base is not long, only a few minutes from Douglas, Frankfield etc. This is ideal for attracting customers.

Maybe one from the mallow side of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I dont understand why someone from the Cork suburbs (such as Douglas, Grange, Frankfield etc) wants to pay €5 for a park and ride when they can use the regular bus for 1.70 each way.

Hogzy wrote: »
    I dont understand why someone from the Cork suburbs (such as Douglas, Grange, Frankfield etc) wants to pay €5 for a park and ride when they can use the regular bus for 1.70 each way.

Bus doesnt pass in front of there house so at least when they get off the bus at the P+R they get put there shopping into there cars instead of having to carry it to there house :confused: Only a guess :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My sister and cousins who live in the Carrigaline area use the Black Ash PnR all the time.

There was talk a few years ago of putting a PnR at Tinker's Cross in Mayfield - this is at the junction of the North Ring Road and the Old Youghal Road to cater for commuters coming in from Midleton, Cloyne etc. Thankfully this plan seems to have been shelved as IMO it was a ridiculous site for such a facility.

The Old Youghal Road/Banduff road coming from Dunkettle roundabout via Glanmire is already used as a 'rat run' - as I know to my cost by the volumes of traffic that pass my house everyday.

The junction of North Ring/Old Youghal gets backed up several times a day as it is.

I do think a PnR around the Dunkettle area would be a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

corkoian wrote: »
    Bus doesnt pass in front of there house so at least when they get off the bus at the P+R they get put there shopping into there cars instead of having to carry it to there house :confused: Only a guess :P

Fair enough, but if you can walk from the shops to the bus on Lapps Quay, then surely it wouldnt be that bad walking from the bus stop in Douglas/Frankfield to your house. Douglas is a densely populated area and no house is more than a 5 min walk to any bus stop.

Would people use a park and ride if it was available, like anyone from the mallow direction here that would?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hogzy wrote: »

because that someone might be part of a family of 4! Still €5 return. No brainer and the PnR is more reliable than normal bus services.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We often use it if going into town as a family - much cheaper than the bus for all of us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement