Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a phone please

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a new phone but amn't really big into technology so don't know what to look for.

I'll be moving abroad so I'm assuming sim free is my best option.

I normally just go for really basic phones but because of moving away I was thinking it would be good to have a phone that has GPS, and that I can easily access facebook and e-mails.

When it comes to cost I'm one of those annoying people who just tells the salesperson I want the cheapest one they have that fits the criteria.

So that's basically it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All recent smartphones has GPS, mails and facebook/internet.
    Does your friends have a phone you like?

Oh, and don't get sucked into the whole iphone vs android fight, try some out in a shop and see what you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Thanks for the reply. The only smartphones I've seen have touchscreen/qwerty keyboards, which unfortunately I don't like. But I guess I'm just going to have to get over that as it seems to be the way things are going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Huawei Ascend, which has it's own big thread here, is easily the best value. I love mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Tha Ascent isn't sim free but can be made sim free easily for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Thanks, the Ascend looks pretty good alright. And it looks like I can get it for slightly less where I'm travelling to so i could hold off until I get there.

I like the idea of the Nokia Asha 300 with the combined keypad and touchscreen but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have GPS. Is there anything else similar to that or do I just need to move with the times and get used to the touchscreen? :o

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Tha Ascent isn't sim free but can be made sim free easily for €10

My unlock code cost a fiver lol. It's not a perfect phone & we are awaiting the OS upgrade but it's amazing value

I spoke too soon. Mine has developed a mic fault which is common & Vodafone won't replace it in store. It is a good phone so I suggest you buy it from a supplier that has a no quibble guarantee - pity that B&Q don't sell phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I think if you're using the phone specifically for internet the touchscreen is essential for handiness (no pun intended!)
    I just switched to smartphone recently and haven't looked back, thought I'd hate touchscreen for typing but my Samsung galaxy ace 2 has this thing (maybe all smartphones do not sure) where you hold your finger down and draw the word by connecting the letters and it does predictive text...actually prefer it to old school texting
    Another reason to go smart phone is some of the apps are amazing!
    as for phones I love my galaxy ace 2, had a galaxy x cover before that I had to return three times due to rebooting so don't go for one of those
    My sister has the latest Nokia that looks like a blackberry and she loves it apparently it is the best phone for sat nav.

Advertisement