Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small river/stream trout fishing

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I was looking for some advice. I fish some small rivers and mountain streams in Donegal. I don't go that often but have a few weeks off now and was going to go out a few times. I mainly fish worm and only catch small brownies and often catch nothing. It doesn't me bother not catching that much as I just enjoy the peace and quite. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for fishing these smaller rivers/streams. What type of bait and what time of the day should I fish.
    Should I only fish after heavy rain etc..
    One of the rivers runs into a big enough from the mountains. We're there are small trout are there bigger ones ?
    As you can see I'm a bit of a novice and any advice would be brilliant. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

my bit of advice for what its worth. if nothing is happening try not to stay in the one spot for to long.

fish normally face into the current, so when stalking fish or just looking to see if there are fish in a river, always walk upstream.

fish love structure. boulders, small rocks over hanging trees or anything that a fish can hide behind is worth a try.

look out for drains or tributaries that flow in to the river. fish slightly down stream of these.

early morning or evenings are usually the best times to fish. mild overcast days are favored by most anglers, but Ive got some great fish on the brightest of days.

some rivers fish good after rain, some don't. some on rising water, some on falling water.
    don't be afraid to talk you local fishing tackle dealer. they usually know more about the rivers in the area than anybody else.

only take fish you intend to eat. it is always tempting to keep large fish, but most hen fish are in spawn at this time of year. by releasing them your helping to ensure good stocks, and a healthy river system for the future.

Advertisement