Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why must renters trash apartments ?

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Whydo renters feel that they must trash apartments when leaving ?
    I mean they don't live in the apartments in the state of **** in which they leave them so why do they feel they must leave them like tipheads ? There must be some pyschological reason for this kind of behaviour ? An acquaintance is now, for the third time in 18 months about to commence redecorating an apartment he owns. I have just viewed the state of it and 'pigsty' is the only word to do it justice. Stuffed toilet, doors pulled off kitchen units, both wardrobe doors hanging off, mattress ripped & stained, lamp fittings broken, carpet soiled and piece out of it ? Is scum too strong a word for people who inflict that on people who tried very hard to give them a good deal ? Oh and they overstayed at the end and 'disappeared' like the rats that they are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Don't tar all renters with the same brush...also propper getting of tenants is essential, maybe avoid students and retention if deposit to pay for damage so no out of pocket expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I am a renter, I have never "trashed" an apartment or house, therefore your argument is null and void.

Scum? Really? It's wear and tear in most cases. Your acquaintance needs to do his/her homework to be honest.

I wonder what the state of the house was before he/she let it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

People who do that are scum, people who don't, aren't.

As to why? There are endless possibilities. The two most likely are that the tenants were assholes, or that the landlord was an asshole.

Either way, I hope the deposit covers the damage. Its because of crap like that that deposits are needed in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

3 times in 18 months, either the guy is very unlucky or just cannot see obvious issues when he meets the new tenants.
    He should bring someone along to meet the people who come to view
    edellc wrote: »
    Don't tar all renters with the same brush

maybe avoid students

You are doing a bit of tarring also ;)

Most students are excellent tenants too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If this has happened three times in 18 months to your aquaintance then I would strongly advise him to take a long hard look at the type of people that he is renting to. Not all tenats are like this; in fact the vast majority are not. Either this guy has just been desperately unlucky, or he is handing the keys to the first people who show up without doing any kind of checks on them at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Unlucky yes, extremely unlucky no. Lots of tenants are like this. You can avoid certain blanket groups e.g. Students, RA etc... That only limits some exposure and many in such groups are fine.
    Reference checks help but aren't going to stop issues. Location of property is a big factor on what the tenants will be like. Bigger deposits is the easiest solution with hardier items. Carpet is something I would get rid of where possible for example.
    Many tenants resent LL just read some threads here and you will see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I remember a house near me was in bits, there would be windows broke, most of the time the front door would be left open right onto the street, no front garden. Then it would lay dormant and get done up windows repaired etc only to be let out again for the same thing to happen. Why the guy kept renting it out to scum bags is anyone's guess.

Likewise when i went around viewing places to rent some of the places were so dirty when viewed that only a complete knacker would live there. Maybe your friend should up his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I'd say renters that 'trash' are the exception rather than the rule. Maybe your friend isn't finding the right people. Agree with poster above - if a place looks craps on viewing, it could attract crap tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm thinking that the rent is low, and that maybe the house is filled by an EA who gets it filled quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

My parents who are mid sized landlords in Dublin have in the last 5 years tried to rent to non-nationals such as Germans, French and South Americans and theyre is rarely any problems. Maybe the odd party but they tend to pay the rent on time and cause minimal damage as they are used to renting.

However if an Irish person is renting a house they feel they can do whatever the **** they want. My parents had a house where they never once in 4 years hoovered the house. It took 8 cleaners 13 hours to clean it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I rented a property for the 1st time last year, then sold it.

In the last few weeks the tenant repainted 2 rooms at their own expense, unknown to me until I took the keys back. Also maintained the grass free of charge.

And the day before leaving, they did a thorough clean of the whole house, even bringing in some family members to help. Vacuumed, cleaned all presses and drawers, cupboards, windows, mirrors, toilets, wash basins etc.

If you get a good tenant, it pays for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Your better off vetting the Tenants yourself, dont trust these letting agents. I have had every skank and scrote in Ireland after one of our houses. I would sooner leave it empty than rent it out. A good tenant is worth their weight in gold, we really look after ours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

There is a reason there doing it. The landlord must be known not too give deposits back to the people and always find an excuse not too give it back. This is the main reason why people want to trash a place. They know they'll never see there 300 or 400 euro back whatever it is and try to teach the Landlord a lesson. Dont paint everyone with the same brush though. A lot of landlords i had, had no problem giving the deposit back even with a bit of wear and tear. I had a apartment and there was a bit of shoe polish down a white wall. Landlord kept everyones deposit and said it would cost 1500 to get the wall repainted :pac: One person still had the apartment key so we wrecked the place and destroyed the walls the stingy fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The properties that get trashed are generally:

Absent landlords - never see them, only happy to get the monthly cheque paid into their account.
    Non-registered landlords - no listing on PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

OP I could just as easily ask why all landlords are thieving, money-hungry scam artists but I prefer not to make sweeping generalisations.

Perhaps your friend should be more vigilant about whom he allows to live in his property if he's noticed a pattern emerging

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

areyawell wrote: »
    There is a reason there doing it. The landlord must be known not too give deposits back to the people and always find an excuse not too give it back. This is the main reason why people want to trash a place. They know they'll never see there 300 or 400 euro back whatever it is and try to teach the Landlord a lesson. Dont paint everyone with the same brush though. A lot of landlords i had, had no problem giving the deposit back even with a bit of wear and tear. I had a apartment and there was a bit of shoe polish down a white wall. Landlord kept everyones deposit and said it would cost 1500 to get the wall repainted :pac: One person still had the apartment key so we wrecked the place and destroyed the walls the stingy fecker

How does shoe polish get down a white wall? Why not rectify it? If you are willing to wreck an apartment even after you left, I am sure there were a few more issues than 'shoe polish on a white wall' And use a grammar checker before you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

edellc wrote: »
    Don't tar all renters with the same brush...also propper getting of tenants is essential, maybe avoid students and retention if deposit to pay for damage so no out of pocket expensive

Don't tar all renters with the same brush ..... maybe avoid students ...
    Sorry, but are you not tarring all students with the same brush?

Unfortunately, there are many occassions where the damage beyond normal wear and tear is in excess of the full deposit (and often combined with arrears of rent - especially if the tenant has illegally used the deposit for the last month's rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If 3 tenants moved out within 18 months is there a problem with the apartment, maybe something is broken and the LL never fixed the issue. If tenants feel that the LL doesn't care, then they wont care themselves (and leave it in a mess).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Your acquaintance is an idiot for three reasons:

1) Not being able to vet tenants

2) Not checking up on the state of the place every so often

3) Giving back a deposit without inspecting for damage.

Deserves to get stung for being so incompetent. Maybe they'll learn 4th time round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

I agree, they sound like absolutely terrible landlords.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

jsd1004 wrote: »

How does shoe polish get down a white wall? Why not rectify it? If you are willing to wreck an apartment even after you left, I am sure there were a few more issues than 'shoe polish on a white wall' And use a grammar checker before you post.

Learn how to use the quote function instead of trying correcting me on my grammar. It was a house party and some drunk tried to polish his shoes, enough said. Either the landlord is stingy and never gives back deposits or the landlord is too lazy and never checks the place every month like they should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Landlords should not check the place every month; Id lose the plot with my landlord if they were around here every month inspecting the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    An acquaintance is now, for the third time in 18 months about to commence redecorating an apartment he owns.
    Is he one of these people who rents out to people because they have good references, or the ones that tug at the heart strings? I ask, as it sounds like the latter!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

the_syco wrote: »
    Is he one of these people who rents out to people because they have good references, or the ones that tug at the heart strings? I ask, as it sounds like the latter!

He is a bit of a softee really with a very friendly manner and imo he had a run of bad luck and got taken advantage of by certain types with low self esteem. He is learning though and will do better in future.
    Sorry if I inferred in the OP that all renters trashed apartments but by God there's alot that do. However, in fairness they would be in a minority so I will confine my comments to those who do trash apartments and wonder why do they do that? The first two lots were students and the third lot was a family from a large island in the Indian Ocean (not the largest) and they were pure pigs and worse than the students. This particular bunch of lowlifes actually had two supermarket trolleys in the apartment which they had wheeled half a mile from the store and were using to hold plastic rubbish sacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Redecorating three times in a year and a half really is way outside the usual run of things. If one in ten randomly selected tenants is liable to wreck a place (and I suspect that's something of an overestimation), then the odds on getting three such tenants in a row purely by chance is one in a thousand. It's a lot more likely that he's genuinely poor at vetting potential tenants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

I'm guessing the rent is a bit cheaper than most places because it is a dump and/or located in a crap area. They should put a bit more into the property to attract a higher class of renter or just sell the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jsd1004 wrote: »
    And use a grammar checker before you post.
    If you have a problem with a post, report it.

You might also learn how to use the vBulletin codes, so we don't have to clean up after you.

Learn how to use the quote function instead of trying correcting me on my grammar.

You then posted a broken quote :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Unlucky yes, extremely unlucky no. Lots of tenants are like this. You can avoid certain blanket groups e.g. Students, RA etc... That only limits some exposure and many in such groups are fine.
    Reference checks help but aren't going to stop issues. Location of property is a big factor on what the tenants will be like. Bigger deposits is the easiest solution with hardier items. Carpet is something I would get rid of where possible for example.
    Many tenants resent LL just read some threads here and you will see

First of all renters who tear off doors are scum. No other way to describe them. I will say tenants who resent landlords here have done so for good reasons. Any landlord I resented (only one really) was one that treated tenants like sh1t. Didnt pay tax and tried to rob them.

Advertisement