Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog's nose going pink?

• 23-08-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. Cato has recently turned 1 year. He's a German Shepherd/Lab X (more shep then anything). I noticed over the past week that the right side of his noise was a tiny bit pink, like the tiniest bit! No one else would've noticed.

Over the past few days it's getting a bit pinker and is now on both nostrils. It's not sore, or cut, or anything like that, he doesn't seem bothered by it at all in fact. It's just a bit strange?

His nose has always been fully black and his colouring is black and tan. I know it's not unusual for fair dogs to have pink noses, but it seems very strange to me that at 1 year his is starting to change?

I'm puzzled :confused:.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Some say it's a part of aging, some say it's a winter nose that turns back to black during the summer, from what I hear it's completely normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Can I ask what you are feeding him?

I have a Lab and this happened when i sent her to my parents for a few weeks when i was moving house. When i left her with them her nose was black and when i collected her, her nose was pink.

Spoke with vet and it was 100% food related, parents were feeding her cheap food with little to no meat. I had left a bag of my food with them but she had eaten it all.

As soon as I got her back and put her onto her normal food her nose went black again and her coat returned to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

logik wrote: »
    Can I ask what you are feeding him?

I have a Lab and this happened when i sent her to my parents for a few weeks when i was moving house. When i left her with them her nose was black and when i collected her, her nose was pink.

Spoke with vet and it was 100% food related, parents were feeding her cheap food with little to no meat. I had left a bag of my food with them but she had eaten it all.

As soon as I got her back and put her onto her normal food her nose went black again and her coat returned to normal.

Hi!
    He's fed Orijen large breed puppy food, he's been on this since around 16 weeks old so I don't think it's the food :).
    Buuuttt. I did change his bowl recently from a stainless steel one to clay, maybe this has something to do with it? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Sounds like when I went on holidays when I was seven and my goldfish changed colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Its probably just snownose, virtually all of my dogs have it, very common in northern breeds, but also can be found in other breeds. Although mine change colour down the middle of the nose. Google photos of snow nose, and see if it looks like your boy.

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    Its probably just snownose, virtually all of my dogs have it, very common in northern breeds, but also can be found in other breeds. Although mine change colour down the middle of the nose. Google photos of snow nose, and see if it looks like your boy.

Looked at a few pictures there and it seems to be the beginnings of snow nose alright! It looks very peculiar I have to say, his face is so black and now there are these little bits of pink peeking out from his nose haha. :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think in the States they call it Dudley nose? You see it in lots of different breeds. Seems to be very prevalent in the paler breeds, like yellow Labs and white German Shepherds.

Just an update on this! I changed his bowl back from a clay one to stainless steel and the pink nose is slowly going, it's nearly back to normal now!

I think the clay bowl might have been a bit too shallow and rough so he was scrapping part of his nose off it when eating.

Advertisement