Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My sister

Options
  • 23-08-2012 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not at all sure if this is the right place to put this, but I couldn't think of anywhere else, so.

My sister came home, well to Dublin to live for an extended period of time on tuesday, only for a few months till we get back to the UK. She has been here before.

I get along really well with my sister, she's only 8, she's been at boarding school the past 2 years we've been here, I don't see her as often as I like, but we text, and she's as sweet as anything, probably my favorite family member. My mum has a lot of responsibilities, and she(my sister) likes me taking care of her, so when she's here I do most of it.

Anyway, she came in on Tuesday evening, I went to get her at the airport, my mums friend brought her over, we've known each other for years, she was staying with this friend and her daughter, my mums in hospital, and I'm currently lacking a passport so it was handy. Anyway, I met her, and, she ran to me, and just, clung on. Like, fiercely clung on. And buried her head into my leg. My mums friend said she's been really quiet, I hadn't noticed myself obviously.

So, we went home. And I'd already told her mum wasn't well, and she was in the hospital, and when she was feeling a bit better we'd go see her. And she was quiet the whole evening, she fell asleep on the couch, so I picked her up, and made sure she brushed her teeth, this was about half 10. And she got into bed, I talked to her a bit, said good night, light off.

I went back in to check at half ten, just about, and, she was like. Curled up in a ball , in the bed. Still covered by the duvet, but curled up. And I went over to her, and she was crying. Not, loud crying, but silent crying. Didn't look good at all. So I picked her up, took her back downstairs, cleaned her up a bit, she had some milk. I asked if anything was wrong, she didn't say anything, she was just digging her head into my shoulder again. I wasn't sure what to do, so I just took her back up to bed, checked again at about 1 ish, she was sleeping.

Yesterday, I decided we'd start small, walk round the shopping centre up the road down the road, mcdonalds. She was absolutely wrecked, feel asleep on the bus. And she didn't let go of me the hold day. Either my hand, or holding onto my jeans. And, she hardly said anything, the whole day. And she cried again, the silent crying. So we went home early. I got her an early night, I thought she slept through the night, but she was wrecked again today, just as clingy as she was. Bed time was 8 again tonight.

I don't know what to think here. I have a lot of personal experience of... child abuse, much as I hate that term. So I might just be jumping to conclusions. My friend said I was overreacting, she was probably just missing our mum. But she went to boarding school, she went you know, weeks without seeing her. And she's not normally like this. I don't know, I was just looking for some more opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

I'm really sorry to hear that, she sounds very upset.
    Like you the abuse issue popped into my head straight away but it may not be anything so serious.
    It's a really difficult age she's at, I remember at that age I was only starting to get me head around death and all that so maybe she's scared of loosing your mom? The boarding schools and seperation can heighten these anxieties rather than makings then more remote.
    I think the best you can do is sit down when she's calm and tell her youve noticed she's upset and ask her if she wants to talk. Hopefully she'll open up. Poor little mite, it sounds really tough on both of you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Just because she's used to boarding school doesn't mean she wasn't missing her family, that may be it.
    I assume you've tried talking to her about it? It doesn't have to be a direct question, perhaps start by telling her what's going in in your life and then ask "what's going in for her" so it's more of a natural conversation.

It's probably just me being knackered and misunderstanding the post, but did she travel on the plan by herself? My own daughter is ten and very confident but that would be frightening enough for her, could that have upset her?

There's lots of things it could be, the best thing to do is talk to her but in a nice (not questioning way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No my mums friend brought her over. Didn't want her flying alone.

I did ask her what was wrong, but she said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Maybe try let her know that you're there for her if she wants to talk about why she is upset.

Sometimes people need to be prompted to open up, she might be waiting for you to take the lead?

I hope she's ok & It's nothing too serious x

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

Oh gosh the poor little thing, it could be just something as simple as she is very overwhelmed.
    Have to say I hate the thought of small children being in boarding school. Saw a documentary on it and it broke my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I find your post a little hard to understand but from what I gather -

You and your mum are in Ireland and your little 8 year old sister is in full time boarding school in the UK?
    Did she know your mum was sick?

I really do not want to be mean here but the poor little pet must feel lost and so alone at the moment no wonder the poor thing clung to you.
    She might be being bullied either.
    How often a year does she see her family?

Was she not home with you and your mum for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If you want her to open up to you a bit, it might be easier to slightly distract her.

what I mean is, when someone sits down in front of you and asks you are you ok, and are staring at you waiting for an answer it can be hard to open up.

It easier to talk when your doing something else , so id say maybe paint some pictures on the kitchen table or start the conversation rolling when your making dinner and ask her to help with something small. not looking directly at each other.

And like a previous poster said, talk about yourself first, so maybe " Im sad that mums in hospital, but its good news that she'll be out soon - what about you?" etc. And give her plenty of time to think through her response, dont make her feel pressured, and ask one question after another.

Hope you find out whats up with her!

She was in full time boarding, but the boarding part of said school had closed now, so she's here. Since her school broke up, she's been with my mum friend and her daughter in their house, she has stayed there before, she's friends with the daughter.

Erm, before, she'd see me, or my mum usually both, 8 times a year? Ish. She only comes homes for extended periods in the summer and Christmas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

So she is home now with her family and not going back to school in another country on her own?

Staying with a friend of your mums is not family either,the poor child must be so scared and so alone I can not even imagine what she is going through but at least now she is back with you which is what should matter more then anything else.

I have nothing against boarding school,I was a weekly boarder and I saw how much some 12-18 year olds that lived fairly near suffered.There were a few from primary boarding school there too and not all of their experiences were pleasant and they ll lived within 100 miles of their schools.

This isn't the first time we've find this process though, staying at a friends for the summer. And she never reacts like that. She's normally quite energetic, but. And she looks even more tired this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

If you want her to open up to you a bit, it might be easier to slightly distract her.

what I mean is, when someone sits down in front of you and asks you are you ok, and are staring at you waiting for an answer it can be hard to open up.

It easier to talk when your doing something else , so id say maybe paint some pictures on the kitchen table or start the conversation rolling when your making dinner and ask her to help with something small. not looking directly at each other.

And like a previous poster said, talk about yourself first, so maybe " Im sad that mums in hospital, but its good news that she'll be out soon - what about you?" etc. And give her plenty of time to think through her response, dont make her feel pressured, and ask one question after another.

Hope you find out whats up with her!

I agree with this one...I ask my son how creche was he won't tell me...we have our 'cup of tea and a scone' mornings ( he as milk obviously...and he tells me everything.

I suppose keep doing what you're doing, let her get safe and comfy and let her know that when she's ready to say what's making her sad you'll be there to listen and to help fix it. No matter what it is, the only reason you want to know is to keep her safe and to help her not feel so sad.

I really hope you get to the bottom of it, what a worrying situation for you, and I hope you can help her feel better xx

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Could it be the opposite that she's upset that her "home" is gone?

It could be, quite possibly. I'm gonna take her out in a bit to mcdonalds, and have a a chat with her :) I know I shouldn't automatically jump to the worst conclusion, but. Well, you know.

Its like, I picked her, well when, and you know, holding her, and, you can tell somethings wrong. Just a feeling off her. So hopefully we'll get somewhere today.

It could also be because your mum is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

OP out of interest what age are you?

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It could also be because your mum is sick.

Thats true. She should be home by the end of the weekend, which is good.
    I'm 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I cant begin to imagine how an 8 year old would process all that your sister is going through. It is to say the least a very strange set up.

She is very possibly upset from been apart from the people she was closest too ie her friend and her mother and whom ever she was close too in boarding school.

This child needs stability and I doubt living in a country separate from her family for 2 years provided that. I would be of the opinion that you need some sort of professional help and guidance. I can see your doing your best but you are very young and at loss what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

I hope all works out well with your sister OP, but its no wonder she is acting strange....she's now in a strange place with strange people(i know your family, but she no longer knows you like she should) I am utterly gob smacked that an 8 y.o. is in the UK in boarding school......................best of lucky in mcd's!

Well the boarding school obviously wasn't my decision. I'm sure my mum had a reason for it though, probably cos home life here can be a bit unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well the boarding school obviously wasn't my decision. I'm sure my mum had a reason for it though, probably cos home life here can be a bit unpredictable.

Obviously not you decision...seems like you care for your sister more than your parents do....i honestly feel like crying after reading the situation. :(

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »

Obviously none of what has happened to your sister is your fault and I can see you are clearly worried about her and trying to do your best.

Leaving a child to go to boarding school and spend summers with friends in a different country is poor parenting to say the least. There are boarding schools in Ireland and if things at home arent good that should have been an option. I feel so sad for you and your sister reading this thread. I really really hope things work out for you, you both deserve better.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

sounds to far fetched to be true ,doesent add up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

pontia wrote: »
    sounds to far fetched to be true ,doesent add up
    From stories a cousin of mine who worked as a guidance counsellor in a private boarding school told me, the OP's story doesn't sound unbelievable at all.

Even if the OP's story doesn't seem legit to you, what's to be gained from expressing that in a post? If you're right, nothing. If you're wrong, you could cause her further upset.

OP - I'd focus on trying to have fun with your little sis. Often times the best thing for children is normality and, as others have said, she's far more likely to discuss her worries with you when you're in the middle of something else.

No my mum is very good, she tries very hard. But she was shook by my dad eventually going to prison, she had a hard time getting a job and all the rest, and it's the same boarding school I went to, so I assume her thought was that boarding school was better for her than a pretty turbulent home life.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I get the impression from the OP that they're British, or at the very least that the UK is home, and not Ireland. It's no uncommon for parents to choose for their children to be educated in their home country, even if the parents aren't around. It's a bit unfair to call it "poor parenting" with knowing the circumstances.

Anyway, it may just be that the turmoil has overwhelmed her. Sick Mum, new school, new home, and presumably she's never going to see any of her friends from school ever again. That would be a lot of change for anyone, never mind an 8 year old. Hopefully she opens up to the OP and can have her fears allayed.

For those that have never seen any of my related posts before, yeah we're British, from Liverpool. Said boarding school was in hoylake, well off area, nice, only boarding school in mersyside, closed as of the end of the summer term.

I do believe the ops post he is a regular poster. I don't want to cause himupset but I really believe a child is been really let down so in this case I am not going to be as pc as normal, I am going to call a spade a spade.
    I get that sending children to boarding school is considered normal by many and thats fine but whats happening here is a whole different kettle of fish.
    Its not ok to move away from a country and leave your then 6 year old behind with no family only friends who apparently have also cared for her over some holidays.

Op I get that things are difficult and your mother may be trying to do her best for her child but she isn't, she has let her down big time. Your mam is probably struggling especially now she is ill, I think you should urge her to get help now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Hiya - I'm surprised noone suggested this - but if your sister has returned home expecting to be welcomed by your mam, only to find your mam is in hospital and she hasn't seen her yet - she's probably putting two and two in her mind and coming up with five, if you know what I mean?

For a child to not have the reassurance that mam is alright by physically seeing her is probably very scary to her - I remember when I was about that age sitting by the window bawling my eyes out when my folks went out for an hour at night. My older brother couldn't console me no matter what he said or did but I needed to see them coming around the corner before I'd relax.

Maybe getting yr mam on the phone to her for a few minutes might help?

I will suggest it to her, but I think my mum will wait till we're back on the mersyside to get anything professional.

So we went to mcdonalds, and we had a little chat. I said 'what's up chick' and she said nothing. So I said, cos you know if there is, you can talk to me about it, I'm not gonna get cross or shout at you or anything like that' and she said whens mum coming home? And I said very very soon we'll go get her together ok? And she said yeah. And she's been a little bit better today. Still looks tired though.

I think my mum will be better at this though, since she has worked/is going back to work for the NHS when we go back to Liverpool, so il discuss it with her when we go get her. Obviously, I think moonbeam had the right point, she was missing my mum, but I do think talking to some nice professional people could do her good. I'm much more 'in the loop' so to speak now then I was 2 years ago, so I'l be able to put my word in.

And as I said, its easy to look at my mum putting my sister in boarding school and condemn it, but I know her, my mum and my sister. My mum was really shaken up by everything that happened, she thought it'd be better for my sister to be in England than Ireland. I honestly don't know why we came here in the first place, and I'm sure we didn't intend to stay long as we have. But I know she's a good mum, I love her, my sister loves her :)

And thanks for all the constructive input so far, really appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

jesus,6 year old sent to boarding school.stuff like that will resurface when older

*mod note*

We get your point and it is not really helping.
    Please either post something helpful here or stop posting to this thread.

Advertisement