Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scots pine tree spacing

• 23-08-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I am planting scots pine this autumn along avenues and in small groves etc. What is the optimum spacing for scots pine? In single rows?? These trees are for ornamental purposes and will not be cut at any time. Im guessing they require at least 12 or 14 feet? Many thanks in advance..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

cat320 wrote: »
    I am planting Scots pine this autumn along avenues and in small groves etc. What is the optimum spacing for Scots pine? In single rows?? These trees are for ornamental purposes and will not be cut at any time. Im guessing they require at least 12 or 14 feet? Many thanks in advance..
    That's about right.
    Native Scots under peatbogs is spaced at about 12 feet. My own observations of large trees in groups or rows do very well from 12-15 feet spacing. Just keep the grass down, some phosphate fertilizer for root development, and a laying out of the roots before filling in with earth, plus a stake should make a nice job, both for yourself in the near future and for posterity.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

That's about right.
    Native Scots under peatbogs is spaced at about 12 feet. My own observations of large trees in groups or rows do very well from 12-15 feet spacing. Just keep the grass down, some phosphate fertilizer for root development, and a laying out of the roots before filling in with earth, plus a stake should make a nice job, both for yourself in the near future and for posterity.

Thanks, Il go with that.

Advertisement