Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spuds price rise

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Grow your own. They taste way better.
    Or if you can't do that find a farmer that sells them & buy direct off him.
    How does the potato go bad if the farmer gives it to a distributor who sells onto shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I heard King Edward's are tiny.:rolleyes:

ScumLord wrote: »
    How does the potato go bad if the farmer gives it to a distributor who sells onto shops?

The ground is waterlogged, the machines can't get in to harvest them and so they are rotting in the ground.

ruthloss wrote: »
    The ground is waterlogged, the machines can't get in to harvest them and so they are rotting in the ground.
    Not what I was getting at. How do potatoes taste better if I buy them off the farmer direct rather than getting them in a shop, who buys them off a distributor who buys them direct from the same farmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Quick.. to the famine ships!

Too soon Url...

Not what I was getting at. How do potatoes taste better if I buy them off the farmer direct rather than getting them in a shop, who buys them off a distributor who buys them direct from the same farmer?

Oh right!., sorry, no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Quorum wrote: »
    :confused:

If you can get them off a farmer that has just whipped them out of the ground you'll get much better quality potatoes.

From the supermarket, you're getting a crop that has been put into tonne boxes in the field, then possibly put into a bulk trailer, then dumped onto a packing line, put through weighing and bagging machines, onto palletisers, crammed onto a lorry trailer, sent to a distribution centre, then to the shop to sit on the shop floor or in storage for a few days before you get your hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Smash + egg cups
    Or peel frozen chips and boil them
    Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's all down to peak potatoes, just like peak oil.:(

• Advertisement

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    If you can get them off a farmer that has just whipped them out of the ground you'll get much better quality potatoes.
    Yeah but that's a once a year type potato, if the farmer is storing them and you buy them after a certain amount of time they're not going to be all that different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Yeah but that's a once a year type potato, if the farmer is storing them and you buy them after a certain amount of time they're not going to be all that different.
    Yeah, that mainly applies to New Potatoes.

Don't buy washed potatoes the rest of the year though. The washing process doesn't do them any favours and they stay fresher for longer with the soil still attached. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭W0bble5

Relax lads, pretty soon they'll be digging themselves out of the ground when they're good & ready to be eaten.....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0726/potatoes-genetically-modified.html

Advertisement