Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Shooting - Game vs Sporter

• 23-08-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Guys

I'm starting out clay shooting. Can you tell me if I could use a field gun for clay shooting.
    I'll only be shooting every other weekend, probably 100-200 clays.

Big difference in price between field guns and sporters

Are fsporter guns stronger..?
    Other than weight, what's the difference

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You can use one for it but a game gun is going to be lighter than a sporter and so the recoil will be harder and when you're firing 100+ rounds at a go it can be a problem.

If you're going to get into clay shooting seriously then get a sporter. They are better adapted to clay shooting since that's what they're designed for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

I'm only going to shoot clays maybe 2 or 3 times a months and more than likely 100 clays at most each time.

So I could go with a field gun and they if I really get into in a couple of months I can get a sporter and keep the field gun for hunting (if I ever go hunting).

Is there any safety issue with using a field gun for clays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

PSXDupe wrote: »
    I'm only going to shoot clays maybe 2 or 3 times a months and more than likely 100 clays at most each time.

So I could go with a field gun and they if I really get into in a couple of months I can get a sporter and keep the field gun for hunting (if I ever go hunting).

Is there any safety issue with using a field gun for clays.

You could keep both if your super lets you, he might say you can use the sporter for clays and game...all depends on how he sees it. You could argue a sporter is too heavy to be carrying out in the field so you might be able to keep both in that situation.

No there's no safety issues, game guns will sometimes have an automatic safety that will come on when you open the gun so that would have to be clicked off every time you closed it agan which can be a pain. Not all of them have it though, I've a game gun that doesn't have an automatic safety...try and get one without it would be my advice.

Advertisement