Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexual Desire. Genetic or ?

• 23-08-2012 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

You are born that way?

Your senses and everything around you lead you a sexuality? I.E. Childhood.

I go for option 2. You are what you are due to everything around you influencing you.

racist? Young white person in south africa in the 80's?

or

?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

PC CDROM wrote: »

or

?

3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

3?

3.Steal underpants
    4. ?????
    5. Proft!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

My parents are racist, homophobic, they both have terrible table manners & they love nothing more than to begrudge people.

I'm so far removed from their beliefs & way of life that they often wonder where they got me out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If sexual desire was genetic, would we not all be wanting to shag our parents? =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I vote for 7.

Coherent linear argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

You're not born a racist, that's influential. Perhaps a person can be more susceptible to such influences though. Racists in my eyes are most definitely the dumbest people on the planet. As I have said before, I must prefer to hate a person on very individual reasons, specific entirely to them.

I'd guess sexual desire or orientation is mostly genetic however.
    I've read some psychology on the matter however and it's very interesting on it's suggestions surrounding the subject.
    I think a lot of people know their sexual preferences though from a very young age, even before puberty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

What?

You're not born a racist, that's influential. .

My niece, who is four doesn't like black people. Her parents aren't racist & there's nowhere really she would have picked it from but she still doesn't like them for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

...racist? Young white person in south africa in the 80's?...

Dont know why you mentioned this :pac:
    But now you got me thinking of racism and sexual attraction lol....

Which I believe alot of genuinely racist people out there arent that racist when it comes to an attractive member of the opposite gender and race.

Aka, a racist irish guy who hates "blacks" - wouldnt have an issue having sex with a hot black girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sexual desire and the one's sexual position are devoplemental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Dont know why you mentioned this :pac:
    But now you got me thinking of racism and sexual attraction lol....

Which I believe alot of genuinely racist people out there arent that racist when it comes to an attractive member of the opposite gender and race.

Aka, a racist irish guy who hates "blacks" - wouldnt have an issue having sex with a hot black girl.

I'd say that wouldn't be the only hole you could poke in an Irish guy who hates "blacks" reasoning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭pathtohome

Environmental programming + mental processing = sexuality.

Odysseus wrote: »

Is that an indisputable fact or an opinion?

Well you would say that, it's been drilled in to you (pun intended).:p
    To be honest though I think that's not entirely true.
    Twins for example, one might be gay and the other heterosexual and lived the most similar lives imaginable. Everyone is born with a distinct and unique personality that has dominating influence.

mackg wrote: »
    Is that an indisputable fact or an opinion?

It's a fact - there's even an equation for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

If sexual desire was genetic, would we not all be wanting to shag our parents? =/

S'up, Oedipus.

Only because Irish guys are culturally programed to be sexual depraved without knowing it.

Twins for example, one might be gay and the other heterosexual and lived the most similar lives imaginable. Everyone is born with a distinct and unique personality that has dominating influence.

I don't know what planet you're coming from but on earth people have had deterministic propaganda (lies) drilled into them. And to say they haven't questioned it would be a gigantic understatement.

My niece, who is four doesn't like black people. Her parents aren't racist & there's nowhere really she would have picked it from but she still doesn't like them for some reason.
    But I'd guess if she was given for adoption as a child and raised by a black family she wouldn't feel this way now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think there is a basic natural sexual imperative, ie, a male/female coupling in order to reproduce. A basic genetic desire to reproduce through sex.

However. There are a huge number psychological twists and turns that further develop that imperative in various ways and a lot of these manifest themselves in childhood, but can develop later in adulthood and our desires are born out of that.

Also, sexual desire is a frequently changing thing, it isn't fixed. People can find themselves developing various desires and fetishes throughout their sexual lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You are born that way?

I go for option 2. You are what you are due to everything around you influencing you.

or

?

A combination of genes, culture and brain plasticity I would wager.

pathtohome wrote: »
    I don't know what planet you're coming from but on earth people have had deterministic propaganda (lies) drilled into them. And to say they haven't questioned it would be a gigantic understatement.
    Oh right. Here on the planet Zog things are a lot different. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Drilled is ok, they had an unusal way of teaching in my college. I would go the other way, gender is fixed its biological, but sexual desire and position which in turn lead to the objects we desire, are fluid. Then again as a psychoanalyst I would.

Drilled is ok, they had an unusal way of teaching in my college. I would go the other way, gender is fixed its biological, but sexual desire and position which in turn lead to the objects we desire, are fluid. Then again as a psychoanalyst I would.
    In my first post I was actually going to post that I hope you appeared to give your opinion on this subject, and then you just arrived, as if by magic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Sexual desire and the one's sexual position are devoplemental environmental

We learn values like these from our parents, peers, friends and society at large. The concept of a certain shape of person being attractive is taught to us so that we come to believe it and actively seek it out.

I do not believe that genetics has any power to influence a person any degree. Environment does however.

If genetics had so much power then the rise of nazi germany would never of happened because there would of been too many people who had a genetic disposition to know what was happening was wrong. This never happened because it isn't true.We reflect the values of the people around us. Our value of right and wrong, what is perceived to be sexually attractive and all of the social distortions that infect society are products or our environment.

We tell each other and the rest of the world that democracy and the free market are 'the best' because we have been brought up to believe that they are without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd say genetics and conditions in the womb are by far the dominant factors affecting sexual desire in adulthood.

It's a fact - there's even an equation for it.

It's difficult to tell if you're completely taking the piss or just taking the piss a little bit :D

Given what the guy mods I thought if anyone that happened along might know for definite it would be him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

pathtohome wrote: »
    Environmental programming + mental processing = sexuality.
    You deserve a hat!
    Cone shaped, with the letter D featured centrally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Love sexy ............
    Hate Thready ..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I'd say genetics and conditions in the womb are by far the dominant factors affecting sexual desire in adulthood.

Would you extend that belief to cover the decisions and desires that adults show in areas other than sexual feelings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Lantus wrote: »
    We learn values like these from our parents, peers, friends and society at large. The concept of a certain shape of person being attractive is taught to us so that we come to believe it and actively seek it out.

Er. Do you think gay people learn to be attracted to members of their own sex from their overwhelmingly straight surroundings? Do you know that gay people tend to find different things attractive about possible partners than straight people of the opposite gender do? That's not something that's learned.

Sexual orientation/desire is a totally different ballgame to a political persuasion. Yes, there is strong environmental influence involved in shaping what somebody's aesthetic "ideal" is, but that only goes so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

You are born that way?

or

?

I believe the word you're looking for is "racy".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Would you extend that belief to cover the decisions and desires that adults show in areas other than sexual feelings?
    Yes. I think our genetics/biology controls us to a much greater extent than we'd like to admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

???????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Very much genetic and only slightly environmental. I knew what I was attracted to before puberty and that was girls. I always had a curiousity about guys but I didn't think anything of it because it was so small and insignificant.
    But as I got older and got through puberty, I started to become more attracted to men and less so to women until I was actually genuinely bisexual and then, for the most part, gay.

It's kind of a funny turn around because I see myself as gay now with a slight sexual attraction to women whereas I was straight with a slight attraction to men. This is still genetic and just a play out to what I was born and hard wired into. It's only the hormones during puberty that brought it out.

sigh.

mind you, if we did ever resolve the nature / nurture debate, we might just become God.

and we all know what that means....

yup. i'm looking at you Eve....

I think fetishs were thought to be a result of some early childhood experience. EG spanking fetish (never understood that) could have come from spanking in childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

My parents are racist, homophobic, they both have terrible table manners & they love nothing more than to begrudge people.

I'm so far removed from their beliefs & way of life
    that they often wonder where they got me out of.
    Good for you. :)
    I sometimes wonder whether I was adopted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think fetishs were thought to be a result of some early childhood experience. EG spanking fetish (never understood that) could have come from spanking in childhood.
    Desmond Morris came to the same conclusion, that childhood physio/sexual experiences could lead to fetishism. However, they do not define sexuality. They are merely an aspect of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Girls that have daddy issues are generally the wildest is my experience.

Girls that have daddy issues are generally the wildest is my experience.

Well according to Frued every girl secretly wants her daddy :S (Frued was a cocaine addict though so how much we can trust is academic!).

MarkHitide wrote: »
    Desmond Morris came to the same conclusion, that childhood physio/sexual experiences could lead to fetishism. However, they do not define sexuality. They are merely an aspect of it

The naked ape is a great book!

Well according to Frued every girl secretly wants her daddy :S (Frued was a cocaine addict though so how much we can trust is academic!).

Freud has been almost entirely debunked. Guy was a knob-obsessed cokehound who drew squiggly lines between unrelated things, called it a pattern, and decided he was a genius.

Freud has been almost entirely debunked. Guy was a knob-obsessed cokehound who drew squiggly lines between unrelated things, called it a pattern, and decided he was a genius.

I agree I much rather Carl Jung anyway!

Well Freud briefly slept in a bunk, AFAIK.

other than that, you're talking nonsense.

Still, no harm...its late, yada yada etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

There is a Freudian/Lacanian view if ever I heard it.

Tbh I was of the same opinion a while back but it is patently obvious that sexual desire is genetic from numerous scientific studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I agree I much rather Carl Jung anyway!

Jung was even more wrong. Stick with evolutionary psychology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I think he was on to something.....

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Well Freud briefly slept in a bunk, AFAIK.

other than that, you're talking nonsense.

Still, no harm...its late, yada yada etc

wat?

• Advertisement
Advertisement