Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Insure My Car Through My Business? ***

Options
  • 23-08-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hi all
    opening a restraunt soon and was nust wondering could i insure my car and an employees car through my restraunt .or put my employee as a named driver on one of my cars , does anyone know if theres a bussiness rate ir whats the story ?
    could i get straight answers please from someone who has had experience ?
    what company ect?
    haha sorry for being a bit pushy :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yes you can get commercial insurance, but it will only cover business activity like if your employee is doing deliveries. It wont cover him on day to day use outside of business activities and he would need his own insurance for that.

AXA, Allianze, Aviva, FBD, Zurich, Aon, Liberty, Hibernian - why not give some of them a call and enquire about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Yes you can get commercial insurance, but it will only cover business activity like if your employee is doing deliveries. It wont cover him on day to day use outside of business activities and he would need his own insurance for that.

In that case there's an awful lot of uninsured people driving partners and kids around in commercial vans at weekends.

Unless you're going to tell me that all of them have a separate insurance policy to cover the company van for personal use outside of business hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spyzer

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Only the owner of the vehicle can insure it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

coylemj wrote: »
    In that case there's an awful lot of uninsured people driving partners and kids around in commercial vans at weekends.

Unless you're going to tell me that all of them have a separate insurance policy to cover the company van for personal use outside of business hours.

If they're given a "company car", then yes, the employer may pay the insurance for all activity under a block policy, but why would a restraunt owner pay an employee's personal car insurance?

Why would a delivery company pay a van drivers insurance to go around on the weekends and rack milage up on a company van whilst hanging out with his family? Perhaps you're right, there may be an awful lot of uninsured people driving around with their famalies at the weekend in a van, whether they know it or not. I have to say, I don't see many familly outings with family and kids dressed up for dinner sitting in a AA van at traffic lights on a Saturday night :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

I'd suggest you get open insurance rather that trying to use named drivers. you never know when you'll need a driver on short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Lets be clear here and stop misleading. Vehicles insured in a company name allow social domestic and pleasure as well so employees that have vans and compay cars can use them at the weekend. There is no significant difference in the company insurance for a van for a builder than a company car for an executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

peteb2 wrote: »
    Lets be clear here and stop misleading. Vehicles insured in a company name allow social domestic and pleasure as well so employees that have vans and compay cars can use them at the weekend.

+1 That's my point also, otherwise the employer as owner of the vehicle would insist that the van was locked up for the weekend.

If the employee was not insured to drive the vehicle for social, domestic and pleasure purposes (i.e. outside business hours), then the employer would be liable for any civil claim when the van was not being used for work and he would also be liable to criminal prosecution for (as the owner) permitting the vehicle to be driven by an uninsured driver.

Lets be clear here and stop misleading. Vehicles insured in a company name allow social domestic and pleasure as well so employees that have vans and compay cars can use them at the weekend. There is no significant difference in the company insurance for a van for a builder than a company car for an executive.

There may be no difference from an insurance perspective, but if an employee has access to a company van at the weekends, and he doesnt have a dispensation from the Revenue (eg being on call), then he will be liable to BIK for the use of the vehicle

completely off topic Homer! No one is asking about the revenue aspect of it!!

• Advertisement

completely off topic Homer! No one is asking about the revenue aspect of it!!

I'm not so sure, I get the impression the OP is trying to save money my putting costs through his business

homer911 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, I get the impression the OP is trying to save money my putting costs through his business[/QUOT

Which is off topic as you are making that assumption as it wasnt asked!

Which is off topic as you are making that assumption as it wasnt asked!

Who died and made you moderator?

So if someone was asking for advice on how best to murder their neighbour, we should just provide that advice? :confused:

The OP appears to be opening his first business and is asking pretty basic questions that imply cost avoidance, without understanding that avoiding one cost is creating another. There is no point in providing half a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please leave the moderating to the Mods - thanks.

If you have a problem with a post, report it. Don't drag the thread off topic with it.

Advertisement