Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Courier Company Average 30 Pacels a week

Options
  • 23-08-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey,

I am curious what is the best courier company to use to ship items worldwide and in Ireland?

I currently send 5 parcels a day and use the post office and while they're good and cheap I find when it comes to volume and heavier items the service is costly and slow and a few items have been lost lately.

Another advantage a courier could have is the option of sending car oil and batteries but I don't think any of them do.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Ring around and see where you can find the best deal! I use fastway and have no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

ring the post office too - they do brilliant contract rates. I currently pay €4+vat for a parcel of up to 30kg guaranteed next day in Ireland, fully trackable and insured.

UK rate is €8.50+vat

That's on a volume of 100+ a week with them (we send majority with DPD, but use an post for rural addresses)

DPD are another excellent service - they will text your customer that a parcel is coming too and give a 3 hour time frame of delivery. They hope to have that to a one hour service soon.
    Again, depending on business, you'll get superb rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Excellent info Sandin.

There was a time when An POst did not charge VAT - was a few years back however.

Are an post better value than DPD?

UK rates are the biggest issue ime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Excellent info Sandin.

There was a time when An POst did not charge VAT - was a few years back however.

Are an post better value than DPD?

UK rates are the biggest issue ime.

vat situation changed last year - pity.

For us both are the same as its been haggled, but dod provide great service, real time tracking, text & email to customer with 3 hour delivery window (due to eb 2 hour later this year), daily reports, direct contacts for depots.

An Post are great for rural deliveries but are let down by their tracking system and the fact that you call the same custoemr service number that everyone calls and which is rarely answered. Email queries take a days to be answered.

Another tip is to go for a service that has a depot closest to you - might allow you drop off parcels and save too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

sandin wrote: »
    ring the post office too - they do brilliant contract rates. I currently pay €4+vat for a parcel of up to 30kg guaranteed next day in Ireland, fully trackable and insured.

UK rate is €8.50+vat

That's on a volume of 100+ a week with them (we send majority with DPD, but use an post for rural addresses)

DPD are another excellent service - they will text your customer that a parcel is coming too and give a 3 hour time frame of delivery. They hope to have that to a one hour service soon.
    Again, depending on business, you'll get superb rates.

Good answer. Looks like DPD is the way to go, do they give you pre-paid tickets or is it phone and book?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Good answer. Looks like DPD is the way to go, do they give you pre-paid tickets or is it phone and book?

Fastway are the only ones with prepay afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cin0

Hi lads

If I can join the discussion.. I'm also looking for cheap way to send parcels. Parcels I will send to customers are around 3kg and 50cm X 20cm X 20-30cm. Would you recommend some courier or maybe anPost? I live in Kilcock if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

http://www.parcel2go.com/ie/

I'd say Fastway for Ireland/GLS for UK

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cin0

Jarren wrote: »
    http://www.parcel2go.com/ie/

I'd say Fastway for Ireland/GLS for UK

Just checked anPost and it's 10€ for weight&size I want comparing to 9.72€+VAT in Fastway. The problem with Fastway is it says on the website: 'Your parcel will be collected Wednesday 17 October if you book in the next 22 hours'

So that means I need to wait 2 days to send a parcel that someone has ordered today. But maybe they will deliver it faster than AnPost so overall there won't be any difference? Hm?

Did I understand it correct? They will pick it up from my place no matter where I live? (Kilcock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

cin0 wrote: »
    Just checked anPost and it's 10€ for weight&size I want comparing to 9.72€+VAT in Fastway. The problem with Fastway is it says on the website: 'Your parcel will be collected Wednesday 17 October if you book in the next 22 hours'

So that means I need to wait 2 days to send a parcel that someone has ordered today. But maybe they will deliver it faster than AnPost so overall there won't be any difference? Hm?

Did I understand it correct? They will pick it up from my place no matter where I live? (Kilcock)

I use fastway, best thing to do is ring the driver that covers your area, you will get his number on their website and ask him for a price for a book of labels. I get an ok price but my parcels are usually small and infrequent.

Also he should be able to tell you what time he is in your area. My driver passes around 4pm so if I ring any time before then I get collected same day.

You should e paying more like 6 or 7€ + vat for parcels with fastway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement