Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solicitors fees outrage

• 23-08-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Feel I should tell this story on the basis of being wrongly informed by a solicitor.
    I had been banned for drink driving and when I attempted to get my licence back early (which you can 2/3 into the ban ) I was told by SNIP solicitors that it would cost €500 to do so. What they forgot to tell me was that whole thing can be done if you pay €50 into the court offices and just turn up at a court date to get the exact same outcome.
    Just makes me sick to the core that these so called legal eagles can without a second thought try and hoodwink you out of your hard earned euros for possibly 10 mins work and filling In of a few forms without giving you the proper info.. 😡😡

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Feel I should tell this story on the basis of being wrongly informed by a solicitor.
    I had been banned for drink driving and when I attempted to get my licence back early (which you can 2/3 into the ban ) I was told by {SNIP} solicitors that it would cost €500 to do so. What they forgot to tell me was that whole thing can be done if you pay €50 into the court offices and just turn up at a court date to get the exact same outcome.
    Just makes me sick to the core that these so called legal eagles can without a second thought try and hoodwink you out of your hard earned euros for possibly 10 mins work and filling In of a few forms without giving you the proper info.. 😡😡

You ever asked an accountant to file your tax return? €500 for 10 minutes work.

Join the queue! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I had been banned for drink driving and when I attempted to get my licence back early (which you can 2/3 into the ban ) I was told by {SNIP} solicitors that it would cost €500 to do so. What they forgot to tell me was that whole thing can be done if you pay €50 into the court offices and just turn up at a court date to get the exact same outcome.

Like all people you have the right to represent yourself in Court, from parking ticket to Supreme Court at a fraction the cost of using a professional. Shock you ask a professional his fee to do the job then get upset that he tells you his fee. BTW it's not just fill in a form and pay money. It's draft a motion and serve on AGS. Some district court judges require you to have letter confirming insurance others don't. Depending on the district solicitor knows the correct questions to ask.

In future there is nothing stoping you doing it yourself.

Does a dentist tell you it's a lot cheaper just to use half a bottle of whiskey and a piece of string to extract a tooth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

What they forgot to tell me was that whole thing can be done if you pay €50 into the court offices and just turn up at a court date to get the exact same outcome.

Very absent minded, these fine fellows.

It's the whole business of the law........these people have chosen a life of crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

krd wrote: »
    Very absent minded, these fine fellows.

It's the whole business of the law........these people have chosen a life of crime.

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How do you know you wouldve got the exact same outcome? Supposing you forgot to put vital information before the court and the judge refused you? Hiring a solicitor for that application meant you didn't have to worry about it going smoothly. Possibly that solicitor was able to convince the judge in a manner that you might not have. Apart from anything else, hiring a solicitor shows that you are taking it seriously, and I would be fairly confident that if you walked into court and said here's €50 now give me back my licence it would have been refused.

So you asked for a professional service, got it, got the result you wanted and are now upset? It's a bit like wanting a refund on your health insurance because you we're sick that year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Apart from anything else, hiring a solicitor shows that you are taking it seriously,

Seriously in what sense. Seriously as you're paying out the bucks to one of the boys serious.
    and I would be fairly confident that if you walked into court and said here's €50 now give me back my licence it would have been refused.

I'd be confident too. The judge would see you without legal representation and say to himself "here comes a cowboy, wreckin' the trade that's kept my family in big cars and big houses for generations - I'll show this Billy The Kid who the law is".
    So you asked for a professional service, got it, got the result you wanted and are now upset?

I must memorise that line, and learn to speak it in a menacing tone. "Quid qou pro, my friend, quid pro quo. Clarice. this is our town boyo, you better play by the rules...or we'll take everything you have, even up to and not excluding, the underpants off your arse"
    It's a bit like wanting a refund on your health insurance because you we're sick that year.

Or asking for protection money back because nothing bad happened to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

"€500 to get your licence back". The cost was told to you up front, they don't have to tell you that you can do everything yourself if you want, surely that is self-explanatory when it comes to litigation. You should've shopped around if that seemed too much, they are a top firm so there is a high service provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

You might yet get the chance to defend your own defamation proceedings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

People assume that the licence is automatically restored after a certain period as set out in the legislation.

No so. It is very much in the discretion of the court.

Due to the carnage on the roads whatever tolerance there was for drunken driving is vanishing. Both the District Judge and the Garda Superintendent are likely to have a range of queries including any loose ends from the original offence, record since, efforts to control drinking, notification to insurer etc etc

A solicitor practising in the local district court will be aware of the precise requirements of the Judge and Gardaí, and can materially improve the prospects of a successful outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I had been banned for drink driving and when I attempted to get my licence back early (which you can 2/3 into the ban ) I was told by SNIP solicitors that it would cost €500 to do so. What they forgot to tell me was that whole thing can be done if you pay €50 into the court offices and just turn up at a court date to get the exact same outcome.

Have you ever bought a coffee in starbucks????

cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Have you ever bought a coffee in starbucks????

cop on.

No sure Starbucks is the best example - robbing... :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Seriously in what sense. Seriously as you're paying out the bucks to one of the boys serious.

Seriously in that you appreciate the gravity of the situation and prepared to make sure everything is done and in order instead of flippantly going in unprepared and expecting the licence back.
    I'd be confident too. The judge would see you without legal representation and say to himself "here comes a cowboy, wreckin' the trade that's kept my family in big cars and big houses for generations - I'll show this Billy The Kid who the law is".

No, but he would see someone who doesn't hope to get their licence back as an exceptional measure but expects it as though it is their right.
    I must memorise that line, and learn to speak it in a menacing tone. "Quid qou pro, my friend, quid pro quo. Clarice. this is our town boyo, you better play by the rules...or we'll take everything you have, even up to and not excluding, the underpants off your arse"

If you agree a fee, then you have to pay it. You see that as extortion, and from a Marxian point of view I suppose it is. But those are the rules that we live by and until the revolution comes they will remain so.
    Or asking for protection money back because nothing bad happened to ya.

Well, like any service that you obtain to prevent an undesirable result and then because that result was avoided you decide in your own head that the service provider did nothing.

Seriously, if people want to represent themselves that is fine. Everyone knows that you can represent yourself and don't have to have a solicitor. But if you want a solicitor, you can't complain that because they make it look easy you shouldn't have obtained their services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Reminds me of this which rings through even though it is an urban myth.
    Nikola Tesla visited Henry Ford at his factory, which was having some kind of difficulty. Ford asked Tesla if he could help identify the problem area. Tesla walked up to a wall of boilerplate and made a small X in chalk on one of the plates. Ford was thrilled, and told him to send an invoice.

The bill arrived, for $10,000. Ford asked for a breakdown. Tesla sent another invoice, indicating a $1 charge for marking the wall with an X, and $9,999 for knowing where to put it.

Advertisement